2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Translation: "WAAAAAAA! $200mil doesn't buy a championship anymore!!!"
9/7/2012 4:01 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
That's good news for the rest of the league because no one else can win unless the Yankees crap out. It's just not possible.
9/7/2012 4:14 PM
Posted by The Taint on 9/7/2012 4:08:00 PM (view original):
The Yanks are really close to a mid 80's like run.

Hmmmm......seems like I've been hearing that since 2001. 

9/7/2012 4:16 PM
Maybe in your own head. It's been the popular opinion for 2-3 years. And to the Yankees credit, they proved people wrong. But it's finally catching up to them now that so many other teams can match their spending for the top players.
9/7/2012 4:23 PM
Next year will be a bounceback year from New York with Mo back.  He'll have one good season left in the tank at least, and they draw a lot of their drive from him and Jeter still.  With 50% of that emotional core out it's hurt the Yankee mojo.  In 2 or 3 seasons though they'll be in real trouble if they can't talk A-Rod or Tex into taking a big pay cut off of their guaranteed contracts.  Good luck with that.
9/7/2012 4:47 PM
Sorry, but the addition of a 40+ year old closer cannot give a team that much of a boost. And after a knee injury like that at his age, it's highly unlikely he's the Mariano we're used to
9/7/2012 5:04 PM
For ****'s sake, jtpops.   If you say "The end is near for the Yankees" every ******* year, sooner or later, you have to be right.    Even us entitled Yankee fans know they can't win 90 games, make the playoffs or be a contender every goddam year.  At some point, they have to Red Sux Up!
9/7/2012 5:04 PM
Not according to you. You just finished telling us how 90+ wins is "expected". And I've been saying it for 2-3 years (along with many others). That's hardly a long time. It's not like I've been saying it for a decade and am now saying "ha! See, I was right!"
9/7/2012 5:06 PM
I assume you've been saying it since I joined WifS.    Unless, of course, that wasn't part of your annual dumbass predictions.
9/7/2012 5:09 PM
We're all well aware if how your assumptions work out
9/7/2012 5:12 PM
FWIW, I think things changed when George died.  Like him or not, he wanted to win(maybe so he could be in the news but whatever).    I don't think that's the kids' priority.   I think they want to make money.   So instead of "Goddammit, I don't care, sign that SOB!!", you get "How will that signing affect the cap penalty?"   A new era is upon us. 
9/7/2012 5:13 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 9/7/2012 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Sorry, but the addition of a 40+ year old closer cannot give a team that much of a boost. And after a knee injury like that at his age, it's highly unlikely he's the Mariano we're used to
Doesn't matter.  It's an emotional leadership thing.  And I'm sure he'll probably still be good, he'll let Soriano throw the 8th, which lets Robertson go to the 7th where maybe he can get comfortable and stop sucking ***.  Honestly, 2.77 ERA and 6 losses?  There is clearly a strong inverse correlation between the size of the Yankee lead and the probability of Robertson giving up runs if you look at his game log.  He's clearly a good pitcher and clearly struggles to hold close leads in the 8th.  Do him a world of good to put him in a situation where the pressure's not quite as high.
9/7/2012 5:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.