Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Posted by mb625 on 2/11/2012 1:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/10/2012 7:27:00 PM (view original):
I start with Fisk and Puckett.   Many more to follow.
Haha... If I appologize for including him on my roster, will you keep Puck in the Hall? Please?
No.  He has no business in the HOF.  I get the homer calls but it's the HOF.
2/11/2012 9:43 AM
So you make an argument for Ricky Williams for the Hall of Fame, but Kirby's got "no business"? The only thing he has working against him is a relatively short career. He was a very good hitter and a defensive stud. Top 10 in MVP voting 8 times and 8 straight all-star appearances to end his career. There are very few guys ahead of him on the career BA list who aren't in the hall and he had a better career OPS than Eddie Murray.
2/11/2012 10:23 AM
Not to mention 10 All Star appearances total, six silver sluggers and gold gloves, respectively. Plus the .318 lifetime average doesn't hurt. Maybe he shouldn't have been in on his first ballot, I'll grant you that, but I totally feel that he deserves to be a Hall of Famer.
2/11/2012 10:41 AM
I count seven top ten finishes in MVP voting at Baseball-Reference for Puckett.

I'll kick off with my worst from each position.

Pitcher: Jesse Haines

Catcher: Ray Schalk

First Base: George Kelly

Second Base: Bill Mazeroski

Third Base: Freddie Lindstrom

Shortstop: Travis Jackson

Left Field: Chick Hafey

Center Field: Lloyd Waner

Right Field: Tommy McCarthy
2/11/2012 12:43 PM (edited)
2/11/2012 3:49 PM
I'm trimming down the Hall with everyone's votes. Feel free to argue and discuss people's choices, but they will be treated as valid. Keep 'em coming.

A bunch more:

Burleigh Grimes
Catfish Hunter
Chief Bender
Chuck Klein
Earle Combs
Edd Roush
Eppa Rixey
George Kell
Heinie Manush
Herb Pennock
Jack Chesbro
Jake Beckley
Jim Bottomley
Joe Tinker
Johnny Evers
Red Schoendienst
Rick Ferrell
Rube Marquard
Waite Hoyt
2/11/2012 8:55 PM
I don't care what anyone says, a HOF without the all-time hits leader is ridiculous.
2/11/2012 9:01 PM
Posted by 1899_spiders on 2/11/2012 8:55:00 PM (view original):
I'm trimming down the Hall with everyone's votes. Feel free to argue and discuss people's choices, but they will be treated as valid. Keep 'em coming.

A bunch more:

Burleigh Grimes
Catfish Hunter
Chief Bender
Chuck Klein
Earle Combs
Edd Roush
Eppa Rixey
George Kell
Heinie Manush
Herb Pennock
Jack Chesbro
Jake Beckley
Jim Bottomley
Joe Tinker
Johnny Evers
Red Schoendienst
Rick Ferrell
Rube Marquard
Waite Hoyt

Don't go hatin' on Catfish Hunter!

If nothing else, he helped change the game by becoming the first free agent (thanks to Charlie Finley's stupidity).  Would McNally/Messersmith have happened the following season if the MLBPA's eyes had not been opened by the open bidding on Catfish after he was released from his contract following the '74 season?

2/11/2012 9:50 PM
Posted by smeric on 2/11/2012 9:01:00 PM (view original):
I don't care what anyone says, a HOF without the all-time hits leader is ridiculous.
AMEN!!!
2/11/2012 10:17 PM
I am removing Hunter based on what he did as a player. This project has nothing to do with pioneering.
2/11/2012 10:43 PM
Five straight 20 win seasons.  Arguably the best pitcher in the AL from '71-'75.  Anchored the rotation of 3 straight WS winners.  That's solid.
2/11/2012 10:46 PM
I admit I'm no expert on the issue, but wasn't Curt Flood the driving force behind FA?  Simply being the first one would not, in and of itself, note any kind of accomplishment on Hunter's part.
2/12/2012 12:25 AM
This.
2/12/2012 10:31 AM
Hunter is in my HOF.  He was a money pitcher for 5 WS winners. 
2/12/2012 10:33 AM
Its called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Infamy.  If you would like to start a Hall of Infamy, ok, I am on board.

I took my son to Cooperstown this past summer and was surprised to see so much Pete Rose stuff exhibited.  Aside from the bronze plaque, he has more things on display than a majority of those actually enshrined.  He is being honored already.
2/12/2012 10:37 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...103 Next ▸
Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.