World Series ratings Topic

Because I know anton likes pictures:

10/25/2012 4:36 PM
o
10/25/2012 4:42 PM
More baseball dumbassery.   Games Sat, Sun, Mon.   Football days. 
10/26/2012 8:27 AM

No need to avoid Saturday nights - primetime college football isn't actually that big of a draw, but I agree they would probably better served to situate an off day on Sunday or Monday.

10/26/2012 8:55 AM
Pretty sure ND/OK and AL/Miss State are big-time games.    MLB will be going directly against them.    If nothing else, Sunday night is the best of the three nights.  People have watched college football Saturday, pro football Sunday and may be burnt out on football by Sunday night. 
10/26/2012 9:04 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2012 9:04:00 AM (view original):
Pretty sure ND/OK and AL/Miss State are big-time games.    MLB will be going directly against them.    If nothing else, Sunday night is the best of the three nights.  People have watched college football Saturday, pro football Sunday and may be burnt out on football by Sunday night. 

MLB will be going against them, and will win handily.  Individual college football games just don't have the national drawing power that national football games do.

10/26/2012 9:07 AM
And Sunday Night Football kills primetime Saturday college football every week.  I think the argument against playing on a Saturday would rest more on it being a really crappy TV viewership night in general than being overly concerned about competition from college football.
10/26/2012 9:18 AM (edited)
Could be regional.   I plan on going to a bar Saturday night.    Willing to bet the "centerpiece" TVs will have CFB and the secondary TVs will have the WS.
10/26/2012 1:33 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 10/26/2012 9:08:00 AM (view original):

MLB will be going against them, and will win handily.  Individual college football games just don't have the national drawing power that national football games do.

Individually, no, they won't beat baseball.  But baseball will likely take a hit because there is football on.  Collectively, it hurts.
10/26/2012 1:46 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/26/2012 1:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 10/26/2012 9:08:00 AM (view original):

Individually, no, they won't beat baseball.  But baseball will likely take a hit because there is football on.  Collectively, it hurts.

The collective competition (in terms of actual viewership) from primetime college football on a Saturday night is significantly worse than any weeknight of primetime shows.  Granted, you would assume there's more overlap between the potential WS audience and the potential college football audience, but still, the actual primetime college football viewership numbers just aren't anything to be afraid of, even if you put them altogher.   The real competition on Saturday nights is with stuff that keeps people away from their TV altogether.   The same is true, to a slightly lesser degree, on Friday nights, but baseball has to play on one of them unless they change the format/schedule.

10/26/2012 2:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2012 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Could be regional.   I plan on going to a bar Saturday night.    Willing to bet the "centerpiece" TVs will have CFB and the secondary TVs will have the WS.
Yep.
10/28/2012 8:43 AM
Mike also seems to be of the classic American mindset that the United States IS the world. You do realize MLB draws viewers/ratings from other countries, right? Other countries who couldn't care less about American college sports.
10/28/2012 1:05 PM
Wow - please rest assured that MLB isn't taking into consideration Japan and Canada when setting their broadcast schedule.  I'm not sure what they get for the international rights, but it's nothing like what they are getting for their US rights.
10/28/2012 2:43 PM
Point is, I'll bet any viewers they lose to college FB in the States, they more than make up for in Canada and internationally.
10/28/2012 4:00 PM
Your point was clear the first time, it was just dumb.  If MLB is making scheduling decisions where they are intentionally trading off domestic viewership for international, then they are even dumber than Mike thinks.  And a) I doubt the international audience is nearly as big as you think, and b) I doubt you're going to do a much bigger international audience on Saturday night than you would on any other night, which is what you'd have to have to "make up" viewers you lose to CFB.
10/28/2012 4:18 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
World Series ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.