Wins and Losses Topic

Also, I'm only going to count WAR numbers in games that the team actually WINS.    You get no WINS above replacement player in a LOSS.   WINS is in the goddam name.  Seems like you should WIN that game.

Do you have the WAR of Cabrera and Trout in actual WINS?
12/4/2012 12:24 PM

Say this out loud:   "Your WINS above replacement player was .046 in that brutal LOSS."

Does that make any sense?

12/4/2012 12:27 PM
You have some interesting theories. Dumb as ****, but interesting.
12/4/2012 12:30 PM
Did you say that out loud?   Did it make sense in your world?   Are you comfortable saying "It all evens out over the course of a year?"    If so, acknowledge the same for W/L record and proceed to STFU.
12/4/2012 12:32 PM
I guess I don't shout loud enough, seeing as how not one of my questions has been answered.

How about this to parallel your beautiful example earlier:

Pitcher 1: 3.40 ERA, Pitcher 2: 3.31 ERA, Pitcher 3: 3.46 ERA

Do we know categorically which was better? No way, we don't have enough information. But in bad_luck's world that means:

Pitcher ERA: UTTERLY WORTHLESS!!!!
12/4/2012 12:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/4/2012 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Did you say that out loud?   Did it make sense in your world?   Are you comfortable saying "It all evens out over the course of a year?"    If so, acknowledge the same for W/L record and proceed to STFU.
You're a godd*mn genius. You should have a column on ESPN or Baseball Prospectus or some sh*t. Stop wasting your talents on a forum. 
12/4/2012 12:38 PM
He needs to know their FIP.
12/4/2012 12:38 PM
Posted by mfahie on 12/4/2012 12:37:00 PM (view original):
I guess I don't shout loud enough, seeing as how not one of my questions has been answered.

Do we know categorically which was better? No way, we don't have enough information. But in bad_luck's world that means:

Pitcher 2 allowed less runs. Assuming a similar amount of innings, saying he was the better pitcher isn't a stretch.

You can't do the same with W/L records. Kershaw was arguably the best pitcher in the NL this year and had a 14-9 record.

Pitcher W/L record is completely worthless and the world would be a better place if it disappeared. 
12/4/2012 12:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/4/2012 12:38:00 PM (view original):
He needs to know their FIP.
Wait a second . . . I thought "MORE" (wins) was "BETTER"!!!

no?
12/4/2012 12:45 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/4/2012 11:12:00 AM (view original):
This is amazing. I really can't believe how lucky I am to have stumbled upon the last dark corner of the internet where people still argue that a pitcher's win/loss record isn't completely worthless. What a treat. After this are you guys going to argue that the earth is flat? Or make the case for a geocentric solar system?
Please keep this thread alive.
12/4/2012 1:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/4/2012 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/4/2012 11:12:00 AM (view original):
This is amazing. I really can't believe how lucky I am to have stumbled upon the last dark corner of the internet where people still argue that a pitcher's win/loss record isn't completely worthless. What a treat. After this are you guys going to argue that the earth is flat? Or make the case for a geocentric solar system?
Please keep this thread alive.
Agreed.

The masses need to see how brilliant your theory is about how wins and losses aren't meaningful in baseball.
12/4/2012 1:42 PM
What are you, 14?

Pitcher W/L record is completely meaningless. 

Team wins and losses matter.
12/4/2012 1:48 PM
And pitchers don't contribute to that?
12/4/2012 1:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/4/2012 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mfahie on 12/4/2012 12:37:00 PM (view original):

Pitcher 2 allowed less runs. Assuming a similar amount of innings, saying he was the better pitcher isn't a stretch.

You can't do the same with W/L records. Kershaw was arguably the best pitcher in the NL this year and had a 14-9 record.

Pitcher W/L record is completely worthless and the world would be a better place if it disappeared. 
But you don't know how many innings they pitched, or what their W/L record is, or how many strikeouts or saves they had. You have no idea because you only have ERA. Obviously, it's not enough information.

The more INFORMATION we have about a pitcher's performance, the better we are able to judge it. Including W/L record.

But I should know much, much better than to discuss reasonable, balanced ideas on the internet. The internet is full of insane morons with radical extreme positions.
12/4/2012 1:52 PM
Obviously not.  Weren't you paying attention?
12/4/2012 1:52 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...28 Next ▸
Wins and Losses Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.