ROIDS Topic

A-Rod is such an idiot. Why do the "come clean" bit and not actually come clean.
1/29/2013 10:57 AM
Joe Sheehan's "There Is No Clean":

The biggest lie of the so-called "steroid era" -- and the intellectually bankrupt way in which the media has convicted the approved villains of that era -- is that we know who didn't use. We do not and we never will. Assumptions that Thomas or Maddux or Jim Thome or Ken Griffey Jr. or Derek Jeter are "clean" are as meaningless as assumptions that Jeff Bagwell or Mike Piazza or Sammy Sosa are not. We don't know. We don't know because no one ever looked so deeply into those players as they did into Bonds, as they did into Armstrong. You can't read sports-drug use by looking at a person's body, and you can't read it by looking at a stat line, and you damned sure can't read it based on who's answering questions in front of his locker after a tough loss. Too often, though, that's how those decisions have been made.

We don't know. We'll never know. To grant the presumption of innocence to some and not to all, though, is to ignore just how hard and how expensive it has been to gain the minimal knowledge we have about the people who have been the primary targets of investigation. It's time to stop designating some players as "clean", because the gap between "clean" and "dirty" is really just about who ****** off the wrong people.

1/29/2013 12:08 PM
My thought used to be along the lines of "Just because you can't arrest every criminal, doesnt mean you shouldn't arrest the ones you can." If you haven't been caught using steroids in that era, I would think of you as clean. But the problem I have is people looking at guys like Bagwell and Piazza and just assuming they used. Determining that some used based on body type, and year to year statistics. So now I just don't care anymore. The era was what is was.

Regarding this story, if its true, I'm surprised at Arods carelessness. If this becomes a big story or leads to a suspension, any good left in the general perception of him is gone.
1/29/2013 12:52 PM
"But the problem I have is people looking at guys like Bagwell and Piazza and just assuming they used. Determining that some used based on body type, and year to year statistics. So now I just don't care anymore. The era was what is was."

Exactly. We should punish the people that are caught but I hate the retarded Pedro-Gomez-like rationalization for not voting for Bagwell because he had muscles and hit home runs.
1/29/2013 1:04 PM
Is it too early to start speculating as to whether the Yankees will attempt to void the remainder of A-Rod's contract?
1/29/2013 1:04 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/29/2013 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Is it too early to start speculating as to whether the Yankees will attempt to void the remainder of A-Rod's contract?
Calcaterra wrote about it this morning.

His take:

What will not happen is MLB summarily suspending any of these players, the Yankees voiding A-Rod’s contract or anything else.  Such steps would be outside the scope of the league or the team’s power and it would result in major litigation.

Against that backdrop, if anyone — like, say, a columnist or reporter who wants to pile on A-Rod — starts beating the “void the contract” or “suspend him for life” drum in the next couple of days, they’re full of it or they’re being emotional or they’re grandstanding and no matter which of those it is, they should not be taken seriously.

1/29/2013 1:07 PM
NO
1/29/2013 1:07 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2013 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 1/29/2013 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Calcaterra wrote about it this morning.

His take:

What will not happen is MLB summarily suspending any of these players, the Yankees voiding A-Rod’s contract or anything else.  Such steps would be outside the scope of the league or the team’s power and it would result in major litigation.

Against that backdrop, if anyone — like, say, a columnist or reporter who wants to pile on A-Rod — starts beating the “void the contract” or “suspend him for life” drum in the next couple of days, they’re full of it or they’re being emotional or they’re grandstanding and no matter which of those it is, they should not be taken seriously.

Of course, this has to go through a due process investigation.  A newspaper report alone cannot be acted upon.

I'd say it's premature at this point to rule out the possibility of the Yankees looking into the implications of attempting a void, based on validation of the reports via a due process investigation.
1/29/2013 1:14 PM
They can't actually void his contract until he has been suspended for PEDs three times.
1/29/2013 1:19 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2013 1:19:00 PM (view original):
They can't actually void his contract until he has been suspended for PEDs three times.
Source?
1/29/2013 1:24 PM
Third positive results in a lifetime ban. Teams don't have cause to void contracts for anything less than that. (Assuming, of course, that there isn't specific language in Arods contract allowing it, but it would make no sense for Arod to agree to that knowing that he was using PEDs)

Wikipedia...so you know it has to be true:

Positive steroid test results

• First positive test result: 50 game suspension
  • Second positive test result: 100 game suspension
  • Third positive test result: lifetime ban from MLB

All suspensions are without pay. In addition, a suspended player can be replaced on the active roster by another player. If a player is on the disabled list, the suspension is served while on the disabled list.

1/29/2013 1:45 PM
The suggestion has been made by multiple people to up it to a one-year ban for first offense, and lifetime ban for second. I wouldn't be opposed to that. It's not like Rose got a one-year ban for gambling, and PEDs have left just as much (if not more so) of a stain on the game.
1/29/2013 7:46 PM
Gambling is much more serious offense.
1/29/2013 7:51 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
Gambling is much more serious offense.
How so? A manager/player who gambles can unfairly influence a game and compromise the integrity of the sport.

A roider can unfairly influence a game and compromise the integrity of the sport.

One unfairly hurts his team - the other unfairly helps his team. Either way, it damages baseball's integrity.
1/29/2013 7:53 PM
12345 Next ▸
ROIDS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.