Lohse Topic

Saw an interesting suggestion today that Lohse could sign a minor league contract with a huge salary bump for making the ML roster. Apparently signing a minor league deal exempts a player from generating compensation for his former team. Would definitely **** off ol' Bud.

That being said, I think this year is an anomaly. Teams signed "Type A" guys in the past - I'm really surprised teams are being so scared off by the loss of a draft pick, especially teams that would only have to give up a second rounder.
2/22/2013 7:37 PM
I'm surprised he's still out there. A team that is protected from losing their 1st round pick it would be ideal. But those teams might be too far away and don't want to spend big..
2/22/2013 11:29 PM
I think it's because Lohse isn't you're typical Type A player. His last two seasons have been great but before that he was plagued by injury and up and down performances, and he doesn't really have #1 ace type stuff.
2/23/2013 1:13 AM
PED's Poster Child
2/23/2013 1:44 AM
May make players think twice about rejecting a qualifying offer. The Cards knew he'd reject it - he could have screwed them by accepting, as I highly doubt they wanted to pay him $13M+, even if it was for one season.
2/23/2013 1:50 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/23/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):
May make players think twice about rejecting a qualifying offer. The Cards knew he'd reject it - he could have screwed them by accepting, as I highly doubt they wanted to pay him $13M+, even if it was for one season.
Philadelphia Phillies starting pitcher Kevin Milwood thanks the audience....
2/23/2013 5:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It's apparently the Cards that don't want him - they're holding out for the comp pick.
2/25/2013 10:23 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
And from the opposite perspective, I would at least question whether it's a better idea at this point for Lohse to sit out half a year in hopes of signing a multi-year deal after the draft than sign a one-year deal with the Cardinals and try again next offseason.  Certainly there's an argument to be made there, but if we assume that he at least WANTS to pitch, and wants to pitch for a team capable of doing some winning, it's not a horrible idea from his perspective either.
2/25/2013 10:34 PM
I'd give it maybe another week or two, but I agree with dahs, if it doesn't look like you're getting the pick, sign him up on a one-year deal. There is little risk and if he comes anywhere close to last year, innings wise, he'll probably remain a Type A Free Agent. They could try it all again next season, and hope their young guys are more developed.
2/25/2013 10:51 PM
It's really tougher for Lohse.  Boras is certainly going to be in his ear telling him to wait for a multi-year offer, even if it takes till after the draft.  And he has to swallow his pride and say "hey, I rejected your $13.3 million offer a few months ago, but I'll take $4 or $5 million less now."  Even if it is really the best thing for him.
2/25/2013 10:59 PM
He'll wait.   Someone will suffer an injury and he'll get a multi-year offer.  

Say what you want about Boras but his track record says he's effective at what he does.  Two examples:
A-Roid opts out of a huge deal.  Everyone says "He'll never get that in the open market."   Yanks offer him a similar deal with what looked like easily attained incentives that makes it a bigger deal.
Fielder sits out.  FA, for all intents and purposes, is over.   People are talking about him taking a 1 year deal for big money and "trying again next year."   He gets a huge, multi-year deal at the end of January.

2/26/2013 8:27 AM
Lets be honest. Ive watched Lohse pitch. He is terrible when you give him the lead.... one good season does not a career make.

EDIT: SOrry two good seasons.

Also lets not forget he has been here before. in 2008 he didnt sign with STL untill spring training.
2/26/2013 8:36 AM (edited)
He's good at what he does, but he's not perfect.   See Ryan Madson last year.  Also see Lohse earlier in his career.  The Phillies offered him something like 3 years/21-24 million to stay, he rejected it, the Phillies moved on, and there wasn't a market for him so he signed at 1 year, 4.25 million.  Now, it ultimately worked out because he had a career year and got 4/41 from the Cardinals the next offseason, but I'm sure that wasn't really how he drew it up.
2/26/2013 8:35 AM
123 Next ▸
Lohse Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.