Home Run Derby Topic

MLB really needs to fix the HR derby. I realize it's an exhibition, but this captain thing is retarded. There are at least 6 NL all-stars with more HR than Harper and Wright and 7 AL all-stars with more HR than Fielder
7/8/2013 6:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there's pressure from MLB. I really can't see Wright picking Harper over the likes of Alvarez, Goldschmidt or Tulo. I could see Cano asking Fielder and Bautista because they finished 1-2 last year, but that's still dumb. I really hope Cabrera is his final pick.
7/8/2013 6:57 PM (edited)
Maybe some of those guys said they didnt want to do it.
7/8/2013 7:09 PM
I find it hard to believe 6+ guys in each league said no. Papi, Bautista and Cabby have all done it before in the AL.
7/8/2013 8:11 PM
And it's inconceivable that having done it before they wouldn't have wanted to do it this time?  I really don't think the captain thing has changed much in terms of the quality of the field, but then again I'm not entirely sure when they started it.
7/8/2013 8:42 PM
Also, I get being all "most deserving" for the All-Star Game, to a point, but the Derby is a 100% made for TV event.   Nobody's tuning in to watch Pedro Alvarez.
7/8/2013 8:44 PM
I'd definitely tune in to see Goldschmidt, Tulowitski or Bruce over Harper.
7/8/2013 10:31 PM
Why is the all-star game so late this year?
7/9/2013 12:10 AM
Id tune in to see Harper over Goldschmidt, Tulowitski or Bruce...

Honestly thats what the National League needs, Tulowitski... 3 Rockies in the Derby?

7/9/2013 12:26 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/8/2013 10:31:00 PM (view original):
I'd 100% rather see Harper.
7/9/2013 12:37 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/8/2013 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, but you've got a bug up your *** about Harper.  Do you really think you're anywhere near the the norm on that?
7/9/2013 6:07 AM
Much like Puig for the A/S game, baseball needs to generate excitement for the HRD.   Harper is a rising star that casual fans have heard of.  Goldschmidt, Tulowitski and Bruce are not. 
7/9/2013 8:35 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 7/8/2013 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Also, I get being all "most deserving" for the All-Star Game, to a point, but the Derby is a 100% made for TV event.   Nobody's tuning in to watch Pedro Alvarez.
Bingo!

It's an f'ing HR Derby!  Who the hell wants to see Alvarez?

If they were smart, Trout and Harper would be out there.
7/9/2013 12:16 PM
Hell, I'd freaking put Puig on the list.  MLB needs a jolt of excitement for the casual fan...like what Mike said.

NL should be Harper, Wright, Puig and Carlos Gonzalaz.  Justin Upton would be a good choice as well.

AL should be Trout, Cano, Fielder (or Miggy) and Chris Davis.   You could do a Nelson Cruz and switch out Fielder....but Prince's name is bigger.
7/9/2013 12:24 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Bautista from Toronto as well.
7/9/2013 12:41 PM
123 Next ▸
Home Run Derby Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.