Gambling vs PED Topic

PETE ROSE HATED TO LOSE AT ANYTHING. HE WOULD STOMP ON HIS GRANDMA TO BEAT HER AT TIDDLYWINKS.

WITH NO MONEY ON THE LINE.

INDUCT HIM NOW!

BOYCOTT COOPERSTOWN UNTIL THEN!
7/25/2013 7:47 PM
Gambling is much worse than PEDs.

Cheating, whether it's steroids, amphetamines, spit balls, or corked bats, is bad.

But gambling provides an incentive to try to lose, which is an entirely different level of bad.
7/25/2013 7:55 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/25/2013 3:12:00 PM (view original):
It's been a long time since I've put any real thought into the Pete Rose case, but as I remember there was never any evidence that he made any moves as manager that would indicate that he was trying to lose any particular game, nor was there ever any betting slips that showed that he did in fact bet against the Reds to lose any particular games. 

Is that correct?
Correct, but Rose voluntarily agreed to the ban on the condition that MLB make no formal finding on the allegations, which pretty much ended their investigation.
7/25/2013 8:00 PM
Posted by akira_hokuto on 7/25/2013 7:43:00 PM (view original):
Do I think he's above it?  Hell no. I think his overall behavior attests to that. To be clear I personally have little doubt that if he had a big bet down he'd manage differently, my only point was that his managing wasn't the only difference between '89 and '90.
I didn't even see your post before I typed out mine.   It wasn't directed at you or your opinions.   

I don't think I'd pick a season and say "See?"    Too many variables.
7/25/2013 8:00 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 7/25/2013 3:25:00 PM (view original):
IIRC, he claims he bet on every Reds game, and there are documents that show he bet on nearly every game.  What kind of documents, I'm not sure.  Nobody has ever claimed he bet against his own team.
He does claim that, but you'll have to point me to evidence that he actually did.  The Dowd report went day by day in '87 and came up with 52 games.  I'm not aware of other evidence, but it could exist, I haven't really paid this much mind in years.
7/25/2013 8:05 PM
Posted by antoncresten on 7/25/2013 2:16:00 PM (view original):

RE-INSTATE PETER H. ROSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

agreed. reinstate all the gamblers, roiders, uppersers, spitballers, vagisilers, emeryboardists, etc

i don't give 2 ***** about the 'bad stuff' they did
7/25/2013 8:09 PM
Posted by antoncresten on 7/25/2013 7:47:00 PM (view original):
PETE ROSE HATED TO LOSE AT ANYTHING. HE WOULD STOMP ON HIS GRANDMA TO BEAT HER AT TIDDLYWINKS.

WITH NO MONEY ON THE LINE.

INDUCT HIM NOW!

BOYCOTT COOPERSTOWN UNTIL THEN!
already did
7/25/2013 8:10 PM
It's not about the guy, it's about the crime. Gambling opens the door to deliberately losing. There's a zero tolerance policy because of this. Period.

If the players really wanted steroids out (and those who are clean, if they were smart, should) they should have the same policy towards that. But the union resists harsher punishments.

7/25/2013 9:09 PM
◂ Prev 12
Gambling vs PED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.