Cabrera won MVP Topic

Follow up question, had the Angels made the playoffs and the Tigers finished 15 games back (with Trout and Cabrera having the exact same years), who would you have picked for MVP?
Votes: 24
(Last vote received: 11/23/2013 11:05 AM)
11/15/2013 11:12 AM
How many times have we done this? Why are you doing this again?
11/15/2013 11:18 AM
Because he's retarded.  And stubborn.  But mostly retarded.
11/15/2013 11:25 AM
On a side note: if Mike Trout came out and publically denounced Obamacare as "bad for the country and should be dismantled", would BL's head explode?
11/15/2013 11:27 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
MLB could solve this problem by instituting a BBWAA award for the best offensive player (Ted Williams Award?) to go with the Cy Young. And then you can vote for MVP. The most valuable guy isn't always the best offensive player.

That being said, playoffs should be a deciding factor. I don't agree with disqualifying guys from consideration just because their teams don't make it, but if two guys are close, I'm going with the guy whose team made it because he was clearly more valuable to their success.

Had the O's made the playoffs, I'm sure Davis would have received more votes. He got killed by the fact that when his team floundered in September, he crashed and burned with them instead of carrying them to a few more wins.
11/15/2013 12:34 PM
"Most valuable" = "worth the most;" what does that have to do with team performance?  It's not "most valuable to making the playoffs," just "most valuable."  I would always try to give it to the guy who had the best season.  That, in my opinion, was Cabrera.
11/15/2013 1:02 PM
I dunno, that sounds awfully confusing.
11/15/2013 1:26 PM
FWIW, to play off jtpops suggestion of "best offensive player", this is the one thing MLB gets right.    MVP voting always spurs conversation.   And it's the "V" part that creates discussion.   Because "Valuable" is has different meaning to individuals.  
11/15/2013 1:39 PM
"MLB could solve this problem by instituting a BBWAA award for the best offensive player (Ted Williams Award?) to go with the Cy Young. And then you can vote for MVP. The most valuable guy isn't always the best offensive player."

I've been saying this for years.  In fact, there already is such an award, the "Hank Aaron Award", but it's currently a minor award with it's own weird voting system.  It needs to be "elevated" to major award status (alongside Cy Young and MVP), and voted on by the BBWAA as the other two awards are.

Problem solved.  Except for BL, who will still confuse "best offensive player" with "most valuable player".
11/15/2013 1:42 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/15/2013 1:42:00 PM (view original):
"MLB could solve this problem by instituting a BBWAA award for the best offensive player (Ted Williams Award?) to go with the Cy Young. And then you can vote for MVP. The most valuable guy isn't always the best offensive player."

I've been saying this for years.  In fact, there already is such an award, the "Hank Aaron Award", but it's currently a minor award with it's own weird voting system.  It needs to be "elevated" to major award status (alongside Cy Young and MVP), and voted on by the BBWAA as the other two awards are.

Problem solved.  Except for BL, who will still confuse "best offensive player" with "most valuable player".
Trout wasn't he best offensive player. Cabrera was.

I think you're the one confusing best offensive player and most valuable overall.

Most valuable is, by definition, the best.

11/15/2013 1:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Value is a fluid word.   If I have 10 apples, another apple has little value to me.    If you're starving, that apple I don't want is your salvation. 

Good players on bad teams might not provide value to some people.    Not sure what's so hard to understand.
It's not a fluid word.
11/15/2013 1:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Value is a fluid word.   If I have 10 apples, another apple has little value to me.    If you're starving, that apple I don't want is your salvation. 

Good players on bad teams might not provide value to some people.    Not sure what's so hard to understand.
So did the Tigers had 10 apples and the Angels were starving?

Or...???

11/15/2013 1:54 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...35 Next ▸
Cabrera won MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.