Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:18:00 PM (view original):
What's a better option. Sliding into a glove? Or tackling the guy with the ball, hoping he drops it.

It's illegal.  Eliminating it at home just makes it uniform at every base.
Can't you slide around the glove?   The essential difference is that the 2B has no choice on where to be to make the play.   The C does.    He can block the path to the plate or he can do a sweep tag.    The 2B can't be 6 feet into LF.
Can't you slide around the glove at home? And I don't understand the difference between 2B or C on positioning.  
12/12/2013 4:33 PM
Yeah, I don't get that either - the 2B doesn't have to put his body between the base and the runner to make a tag.
12/12/2013 4:35 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 12/12/2013 4:20:00 PM (view original):
I completely agree that it's not some core element of the game, and that it is inconsistent with how things go at other bases (that being said it IS different than the other bases), but it's an exciting play, it's long been a part of the game, and it just seems silly to me to legislate it out when it only happens if both players involved sign up for it.  This isn't like a defender going helmet to helmet in football.
There are lots of rules in place that protect the players, in all sports.  This would be another one. 

There are also lots of times where a catcher doesn't have much say into whether or not he's in a collision.  Sometimes the collision happens as he's catching the ball.
12/12/2013 4:36 PM
Don't know that anyone "likes" watching players get hurt playing sports.  Most of us prefer to watch the game we watched growing up.    And while it's a different world these days, those in my age group heard "rub some dirt on it and get back on the field."    Is that better?   Maybe, maybe not.    But it certainly influences our preferences of how sports should be played.   There are obvious actions that have to be outlawed(like Tatum and Atkinsom clubbing WR when the ball was thrown elsewhere) but every dangerous action can't be removed from sport.   Much like I mockingly said put a BP screen in front of pitchers.   Line drives up the middle are the most dangerous thing in baseball, IMO, so how do you get it out of the game?   You don't.
12/12/2013 4:38 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:33:00 PM (view original):
What's a better option. Sliding into a glove? Or tackling the guy with the ball, hoping he drops it.

Can't you slide around the glove?   The essential difference is that the 2B has no choice on where to be to make the play.   The C does.    He can block the path to the plate or he can do a sweep tag.    The 2B can't be 6 feet into LF.
Can't you slide around the glove at home? And I don't understand the difference between 2B or C on positioning.  
The 2B can use the bag as protection.   Stand behind it and make the tag.   Not sure the C can do that.   Maybe he could.  Never seen it.
12/12/2013 4:39 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:36:00 PM (view original):
I completely agree that it's not some core element of the game, and that it is inconsistent with how things go at other bases (that being said it IS different than the other bases), but it's an exciting play, it's long been a part of the game, and it just seems silly to me to legislate it out when it only happens if both players involved sign up for it.  This isn't like a defender going helmet to helmet in football.
There are lots of rules in place that protect the players, in all sports.  This would be another one. 

There are also lots of times where a catcher doesn't have much say into whether or not he's in a collision.  Sometimes the collision happens as he's catching the ball.
He always has a say.   He can receive the throw out of the basepath. 
12/12/2013 4:40 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:38:00 PM (view original):
Don't know that anyone "likes" watching players get hurt playing sports.  Most of us prefer to watch the game we watched growing up.    And while it's a different world these days, those in my age group heard "rub some dirt on it and get back on the field."    Is that better?   Maybe, maybe not.    But it certainly influences our preferences of how sports should be played.   There are obvious actions that have to be outlawed(like Tatum and Atkinsom clubbing WR when the ball was thrown elsewhere) but every dangerous action can't be removed from sport.   Much like I mockingly said put a BP screen in front of pitchers.   Line drives up the middle are the most dangerous thing in baseball, IMO, so how do you get it out of the game?   You don't.
Of course you can't remove all danger. But this is a danger that can be removed.

12/12/2013 4:45 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/12/2013 4:45:00 PM (view original):
Of course you can't remove all danger. But this is a danger that can be removed.

A screen in front of the pitcher would remove some danger.    Why not?
12/12/2013 4:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:39:00 PM (view original):

The 2B can use the bag as protection.   Stand behind it and make the tag.   Not sure the C can do that.   Maybe he could.  Never seen it.
Of course he could.
12/12/2013 4:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:40:00 PM (view original):

I've seen collisions where it's obvious the catcher is not expecting it.  That was more my point.  If he knew the runner was not going to slide around him and was just going to run over him, he probably would move up to take the throw.
12/12/2013 4:48 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:39:00 PM (view original):

Of course he could.

Then why do we need a rule preventing collisions at the plate? 

12/12/2013 4:49 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):

I've seen collisions where it's obvious the catcher is not expecting it.  That was more my point.  If he knew the runner was not going to slide around him and was just going to run over him, he probably would move up to take the throw.
Then the catcher is stupid.    If you're in the basepath, you should be expecting it.    Was it his first day?
12/12/2013 4:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:46:00 PM (view original):

Because that isn't feasible and this is.
12/12/2013 4:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/12/2013 4:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:46:00 PM (view original):

Because that isn't feasible and this is.
Of course it is.   I've played in softball tournaments with a screen in front of the pitcher.    After you quit worrying about it, it's not even there.  

So why not?
12/12/2013 4:52 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):

What was he doing in the basepath to begin with, then? Blocking the plate. His choice.
12/12/2013 4:55 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.