Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

They wouldn't be able to field bunts anymore, running around a net.  What happens if a ground ball or line drive hits it? Is it an out? You're robbing the hitter of a hit.  The middle infielders probably don't have to play so close up the middle anymore.  Hits would go down.  The pitchers would probably find it distracting.  It's not feasible.

What's the downsize to eliminating home plate collisions? "That's the way it's always been" isn't a good reason oh **** I feel like I've had this conversation....
12/12/2013 4:58 PM (edited)
If a runner plows through a catcher who isn't blocking the plate, call him out, throw him out, toss him, suspend him for all I care.
12/12/2013 4:57 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 12/12/2013 4:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 12/12/2013 4:20:00 PM (view original):
I completely agree that it's not some core element of the game, and that it is inconsistent with how things go at other bases (that being said it IS different than the other bases), but it's an exciting play, it's long been a part of the game, and it just seems silly to me to legislate it out when it only happens if both players involved sign up for it.  This isn't like a defender going helmet to helmet in football.
There are lots of rules in place that protect the players, in all sports.  This would be another one. 

There are also lots of times where a catcher doesn't have much say into whether or not he's in a collision.  Sometimes the collision happens as he's catching the ball.
He always has a say.   He can receive the throw out of the basepath. 
I've seen collisions where it's obvious the catcher is not expecting it.  That was more my point.  If he knew the runner was not going to slide around him and was just going to run over him, he probably would move up to take the throw.
What was he doing in the basepath to begin with, then? Blocking the plate. His choice.
If it's any other base, it's illegal.  Obstruction.  So it's now illegal at home too.
12/12/2013 4:58 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:58:00 PM (view original):
They wouldn't be able to field bunts anymore, running around a net.  What happens if a ground ball or line drive hits it? Is it an out? You're robbing the hitter of a hit.  The middle infielders probably don't have to play so close up the middle anymore.  Hits would go down.  The pitchers would probably find it distracting.  It's not feasible.

What's the downsize to eliminating home plate collisions? "That's the way it's always been" isn't a good reason oh **** I feel like I've had this conversation....
Sure you could.  It's a small screen not a small country.    A struck ball hits it, it's a foul.   You're robbing a team of a run or an out with this rule.   The catchers never have to worry about plays at the plate.   Pitchers will forget about it, after all, the use them in BP.   It's quite feasible.

Already covered.  You're "cheating" a team out of an out or a run.   Some catchers hold onto the ball, some don't.
12/12/2013 4:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/12/2013 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:05:00 PM (view original):
I was under the impression that sort of collision WAS illegal at every other base.  Am I wrong? Is it legal to tackle the second baseman if you're a runner?
This. All they did was make home plate like every other base.

Which makes sense.

Allowing the base runner to slam full speed int to the catcher and/or allowing the catcher to completely block home plate doesn't.
Wrong. If a second baseman is standing in front of the bag, in the baseline, blocking your path to the bag, you can bowl him over. Most of the time, fielders are standing ON the bag, and as Mike said, there's no reason to be running through the bag. But if a fielder is in your lane on the baseline, you can hit him.
12/12/2013 5:00 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 12/12/2013 4:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 12/12/2013 4:20:00 PM (view original):
I completely agree that it's not some core element of the game, and that it is inconsistent with how things go at other bases (that being said it IS different than the other bases), but it's an exciting play, it's long been a part of the game, and it just seems silly to me to legislate it out when it only happens if both players involved sign up for it.  This isn't like a defender going helmet to helmet in football.
There are lots of rules in place that protect the players, in all sports.  This would be another one. 

There are also lots of times where a catcher doesn't have much say into whether or not he's in a collision.  Sometimes the collision happens as he's catching the ball.
He always has a say.   He can receive the throw out of the basepath. 
I've seen collisions where it's obvious the catcher is not expecting it.  That was more my point.  If he knew the runner was not going to slide around him and was just going to run over him, he probably would move up to take the throw.
What was he doing in the basepath to begin with, then? Blocking the plate. His choice.
If it's any other base, it's illegal.  Obstruction.  So it's now illegal at home too.
Pretty sure I can be in the basepath at 2B too as long as I have the ball.
12/12/2013 5:00 PM
If you like the collisions, then we should allow it at all bases.  Pick one.  It's inconsistent as it is now.  IMO, being able to destroy the catcher seems dangerous and stupid.
12/12/2013 5:02 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 5:02:00 PM (view original):
If you like the collisions, then we should allow it at all bases.  Pick one.  It's inconsistent as it is now.  IMO, being able to destroy the catcher seems dangerous and stupid.
Do all ballparks have the same dimensions?   INCONSISTENCY!!!!!  ****!!!!!!!!!!!
12/12/2013 5:04 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 12/12/2013 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/12/2013 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 4:05:00 PM (view original):
I was under the impression that sort of collision WAS illegal at every other base.  Am I wrong? Is it legal to tackle the second baseman if you're a runner?
This. All they did was make home plate like every other base.

Which makes sense.

Allowing the base runner to slam full speed int to the catcher and/or allowing the catcher to completely block home plate doesn't.
Wrong. If a second baseman is standing in front of the bag, in the baseline, blocking your path to the bag, you can bowl him over. Most of the time, fielders are standing ON the bag, and as Mike said, there's no reason to be running through the bag. But if a fielder is in your lane on the baseline, you can hit him.
Catchers are generally on home plate.  Maybe slightly in front of it.  So you're saying if the 2nd baseman is slightly in front of the base, with the ball, the runner can destroy him?  If true, then keep the collisions.  Stay consistent.  
12/12/2013 5:05 PM
Runners have a right to the basebath. If a fielder is standing in front of the bag AT ANY BASE, the runner can run him over. You just don't see other bags blocked the way home plate is.

Even standing on the bag, do you never see 2B taken out?
12/12/2013 5:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Do all ballparks have the same dimensions?   INCONSISTENCY!!!!!  ****!!!!!!!!!!!
All ballparks have guidelines on what the dimensions can and can't be, yes. 

EDIT: The ones built before 1960 or something don't.  Anyone built after that has to fall within certain parameters. 
12/12/2013 5:07 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 12/12/2013 5:06:00 PM (view original):
Runners have a right to the basebath. If a fielder is standing in front of the bag AT ANY BASE, the runner can run him over. You just don't see other bags blocked the way home plate is.

No, I assumed it was illegal to do that.
12/12/2013 5:07 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/12/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
All ballparks have guidelines on what the dimensions can and can't be, yes. 

EDIT: The ones built before 1960 or something don't.  Anyone built after that has to fall within certain parameters. 

Do the guidelines allow for differences?

Kind of like plays on the basepaths?

12/12/2013 5:09 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/12/2013 5:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 12/12/2013 5:06:00 PM (view original):

No, I assumed it was illegal to do that.
No it isn't, however if you overrun 2nd base you can get called out.
12/12/2013 5:09 PM
Sure.  It's also not dangerous to have certain ballparks to be 325 down the line as compared to 345.
12/12/2013 5:10 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...9 Next ▸
Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.