HOF vote tracker Topic

I agree tecwrg.  Anybody who doesn't vote for Greg Maddux this year should have to explain themselves in a public forum and have their voting rights revoked permanently.
1/3/2014 1:49 PM
If you were going to have your voting rights permanently revoked, why would you feel compelled to speak in a public forum about your votes?
1/3/2014 3:06 PM
Barry Bloom was just on MLB Network Radio talking about his ballot. He said he knows at least one voter who refuses to vote for ANYONE who played during the steroid era. Anyone like that should be stripped of their vote. They use their vote as power and self appoint themselves police and protectors of the game, but in no way is refusing to vote for Maddux good for the game. It's a travesty and the Hall seriously needs to look at who they allow to cast votes. Most of the users on this site can put together better ballots.
1/3/2014 5:26 PM (edited)
Posted by AlCheez on 1/3/2014 11:50:00 AM (view original):
10 votes should be plenty - the only way the voting ever gets "fixed" is we get consensus on how to handle the steroid era and everyone abides by it.  And since so few guys from that era either have hard proof of use or have confessed, that's probably never going to happen unless the consensus is to not worry about it.
Agreed. Some guys may have to wait 3-4 years, but so what? There's always an inevitable down year when borderline guys will be elected. If you have a bigger ballot, you'll just have more writers giving shoutouts to their buddies like Sele. I'd much rather some guys get left off and voters be faced with a tough choice, than water it down even more.
1/3/2014 5:34 PM (edited)
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/2/2014 12:08:00 PM (view original):
Interesting that Thomas has the votes that Piazza and Bagwell don't have.  
Why is that interesting?
1/3/2014 5:33 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/3/2014 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 1/3/2014 11:50:00 AM (view original):
10 votes should be plenty - the only way the voting ever gets "fixed" is we get consensus on how to handle the steroid era and everyone abides by it.  And since so few guys from that era either have hard proof of use or have confessed, that's probably never going to happen unless the consensus is to not worry about it.
Agreed. Some guys may have to wait 3-4 years, but so what? There's always an inevitable down year when borderline guys will be elected. If you have a bigger ballot, you'll just have more writers giving shoutouts to their buddies like Sele. I'd much rather some guys get left off and voters be faced with a tough choice, than water it down even more.
Then eliminate the five year waiting period before players appear on the ballot. With the internet, & mass media, writers shouldn't need 5 years to reflect on a player's career. They can just watch YouTube video of a player when voting is held.
1/3/2014 6:39 PM
The only problem with doing that now is that you'd have a class 5x the size next year
1/3/2014 8:29 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/3/2014 8:29:00 PM (view original):
The only problem with doing that now is that you'd have a class 5x the size next year
What would alleviate that, is to adopt the same process used in the Pro Football HOF where the selection committee provides the group of finalists to vote on, so lesser players that have no shot at the HOF don't even appear on the ballot.

Based upon this year, there are still about 20-25 candidates with somewhat of a HOF case.  Players like Mike Timlin & Richie Sexson shouldn't appear on the ballot, period.
1/3/2014 10:19 PM
They could also find a way to increase the number of voters so that the guys who choose to use their vote to make a statement and not actually vote for deserving players are further minimized.

Don't writers have to have a job in the industry for 10 years before they earn BBWAA membership? A guy who's been doing it for 5 years can't effectively fill out a ballot? Those criteria could change as well.
1/3/2014 11:15 PM
what if you eliminate the "abstaining" ballots from the pool? If I vote for no one, my "vote" doesn't count against the number to get elected.
1/4/2014 12:28 AM
I'm sure some guys would get around that by submitting a ballot with just Morris or someone on it.
1/4/2014 1:31 AM
Posted by Got_Worms on 1/3/2014 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/3/2014 8:29:00 PM (view original):
What would alleviate that, is to adopt the same process used in the Pro Football HOF where the selection committee provides the group of finalists to vote on, so lesser players that have no shot at the HOF don't even appear on the ballot.

Based upon this year, there are still about 20-25 candidates with somewhat of a HOF case.  Players like Mike Timlin & Richie Sexson shouldn't appear on the ballot, period.
That would alleviate nothing - taking those guys who get no votes or a token vote off the ballot doesn't free up any real amount of votes - it just makes you feel better about the ballot.  And I'd like to assume no one tossing those guys a token vote was leaving someone off their ballot that they really thought was deserving to do it, so it's probably a net gain of nothing.

You keep throwing out "solutions" that have nothing to do with the real problem - until there's consensus on the steroid era players, guys like Bonds and Clemens are going to sit out there taking up massive amounts of votes but not getting in.   Realize that if we had never heard of PEDs and everything had proceeded in the same way, Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Bagwell, and Piazza are probably all already in - maybe Biggio too since it seems like there's some smaller percentage of voters who lumped him in - and there's no real issue with only having 10 votes.  I think I read last year that the ballots only averaged about 6 votes per anyhow.  This sample has it up over 9, so you can see what all these big name holdovers are doing to the situation.

At this point, if I was voting for Sosa, McGwire, and/or Palmeiro and leaving other guys I thought were deserving off the ballot, I'd strongly consider dropping them and hoping for the veteran's committee or something similiar to eventually deal with them once this is all less fresh.

1/4/2014 9:58 AM
How can there be a consensus on PED players? It's a moral issue. Even if the HOF says, "Ya, it's fine, we don't care if you elect them. Focus on what they did on the field," voters aren't suddenly going to say "That's a relief. Put 'em in!" They have the freedom to do so now and they're not, so unless the HOF mandates it (which defeats the purpose of voters), a consensus is hardly possible.
1/4/2014 11:01 AM
"And I'd like to assume no one tossing those guys a token vote was leaving someone off their ballot that they really thought was deserving to do it, so it's probably a net gain of nothing."

This is not a safe assumption about the BBWAA HOF voters.  I wish they would make all HOF ballots public so we can see what moron's are voting for the Aaron Sele's & Jim Deshaies of the world.  At least ESPN's Pedro Gomez admitted voting for Jay Bell...
1/4/2014 2:06 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...12 Next ▸
HOF vote tracker Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.