ESPN HOF ballot revealed. Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2014 11:35:00 AM (view original):
Both are listed as negatives in dWAR.    Of course, none of us trust dWAR anyway so that's not much of an issue.  

Do you have to know who they are?   I thought stats could tell you what you needed to know.  If you know who they are, you might be influenced by what you've seen or read.   Can't have that because you might have gone to a game as a child where one went 4-4 with 2 homers.   Too much noise.
I haven't memorized every player's oWAR. No idea who they are. And there isn't anything definitive I can say about two random oWAR numbers.

What are their actual WARs?
1/9/2014 11:43 AM
If WAR isn't everything, why does in matter.   You see their oWAR, number of seasons and actual plate appearances.    I've told you their dWAR, which we don't trust, are both negative(and they're very close).     What other stat, other than WAR that isn't everything per you, can I give you?
1/9/2014 11:55 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2014 11:55:00 AM (view original):
If WAR isn't everything, why does in matter.   You see their oWAR, number of seasons and actual plate appearances.    I've told you their dWAR, which we don't trust, are both negative(and they're very close).     What other stat, other than WAR that isn't everything per you, can I give you?
What question do you want me to answer? I already said that I do believe that I said that one player deserves to be in the hall and the other doesn't. But I don't know who the players are, so I really can't expand on that.

Look, man. You're the one really trying to make a point here. Not me. So make it. Or don't. No skin off my nose.

1/9/2014 12:02 PM
My point is that you're full of ****.    By refusing to acknowledge that there's virtually no difference between the two yet having stated that one is a no doubt HOFer and the other shouldn't get a vote, you're proving my point.    You and your bullshit definitive statements have come full circle.    You make them

1.  This guy is HOF, this guy is not and you're an idiot if you disagree
2.  30% difference in WAR is meaningless except when it's not

then, when called on them, you play stupid.   Everyone who's even glanced at this thread knows who they are yet you claim you don't.   You do this because acknowledging your stupidity is something you can't do.
1/9/2014 12:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2014 12:07:00 PM (view original):
My point is that you're full of ****.    By refusing to acknowledge that there's virtually no difference between the two yet having stated that one is a no doubt HOFer and the other shouldn't get a vote, you're proving my point.    You and your bullshit definitive statements have come full circle.    You make them

1.  This guy is HOF, this guy is not and you're an idiot if you disagree
2.  30% difference in WAR is meaningless except when it's not

then, when called on them, you play stupid.   Everyone who's even glanced at this thread knows who they are yet you claim you don't.   You do this because acknowledging your stupidity is something you can't do.
I don't know that there isn't a difference between the two. I've only seen their oWAR numbers.

I don't know who they are because I'm on my phone and I haven't looked it up. 

This is the entire point you were trying to make? Kinda weak.
1/9/2014 12:12 PM
"By refusing to acknowledge that there's virtually no difference between the two yet having stated that one is a no doubt HOFer and the other shouldn't get a vote, you're proving my point."

Nobody disagrees with your point that simply looking at career oWAR is a poor way to determine HOF candidacy. 
1/9/2014 12:15 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/9/2014 12:16:00 PM (view original):
"By refusing to acknowledge that there's virtually no difference between the two yet having stated that one is a no doubt HOFer and the other shouldn't get a vote, you're proving my point."

Nobody disagrees with your point that simply looking at career oWAR is a poor way to determine HOF candidacy. 
This. x 1,000,000
1/9/2014 12:18 PM

Would you agree that a 30% difference in WAR is insignificant, badluckjr?
1/9/2014 12:30 PM
I thought that statistics can tell you everything you need to know about baseball?  Especially the new and improved advanced stats?

Yet you seem to be going back to what burnsey was criticizing me about yesterday when I was dissing Kenny Lofton.  Your only reason for saying one guy is HOF worthy and another isn't is "Because it's Joey Schlobotnik!".
1/9/2014 12:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):

Depends. A WAR difference of 1.2 and 1.6 in one season is pretty insignificant.  A career WAR difference of 50 and 65 is much more significant.
1/9/2014 12:41 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/9/2014 12:32:00 PM (view original):
I thought that statistics can tell you everything you need to know about baseball?  Especially the new and improved advanced stats?

Yet you seem to be going back to what burnsey was criticizing me about yesterday when I was dissing Kenny Lofton.  Your only reason for saying one guy is HOF worthy and another isn't is "Because it's Joey Schlobotnik!".
Who told you that? And all stats or just oWAR?
1/9/2014 12:42 PM

Right now, I'm not saying anyone is or isn't anything. Mike spit out two random, similar oWAR numbers. He also says that I said one guy is a hall of famer and the other isn't.

OK. If that's what I said, fine. But I have no idea who they are.
1/9/2014 12:42 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/9/2014 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):

Depends. A WAR difference of 1.2 and 1.6 in one season is pretty insignificant.  A career WAR difference of 50 and 65 is much more significant.
So a player who is insignificantly better for 15-20 seasons can somehow become significantly better at the end of his career?    Are you going to break it down to a week again to prove your point?
1/9/2014 12:44 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/9/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):

Who told you that? And all stats or just oWAR?
That's been BL go-to mantra for most of the time he spends arguing in this forum.  He doesn't need to watch the games, he has the stats.
1/9/2014 12:46 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/9/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):

Right now, I'm not saying anyone is or isn't anything. Mike spit out two random, similar oWAR numbers. He also says that I said one guy is a hall of famer and the other isn't.

OK. If that's what I said, fine. But I have no idea who they are.
I call bullshit on your "I have no idea who they are" claim.

It took me five seconds to make an educated guess at both of them.  The first three of those seconds was spent scratching my ***.
1/9/2014 12:48 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...34 Next ▸
ESPN HOF ballot revealed. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.