2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 2/10/2014 6:55:00 PM (view original):
And around we go.

I say, "because it helps the Mariners score runs."
You say, "every time?"
I say, "sure."
You say "what if there's a runner on second, two outs and Russ Davis is hitting behind him. That walk certainly can't be viewed as a good thing."
I say "but it is. Having two guys on is always better*** than one, even if you're trading a great hitter for a lesser hitter because, in the long run, you'll score more runs."
You say, "that's stupid," but offer no evidence to actually back up your claim. Decry stats as useless and people who use them as witches.
I say, "I'm still waiting for your evidence."
You say, "I already gave you my evidence, but here, have this non-sequitur."
Mike jumps in and doubles down on his prior idiocy.
We all go down that long and twisted tunnel.
75 pages later we end up here. Exactly where we started.

So, I'll go back to the beginning one more time.

Edgar Martinez had a high OBP. He also had a high average and slugging percentage. There is nothing about his high OBP that is bad. Like all great hitters he walked at a decent rate. There is no evidence to show that he was looking for a walk or was passing the buck in important situations. In reality, he was probably being pitched around a lot. Anyone who tries to frame his high OBP as a bad thing is an idiot.

***obviously there are a couple situations where you only need one run and the second runner doesn't make any difference, bottom 9th, tie game, for example. But Martinez only walked once in his entire career in this situation (the other times he was intentionally walked), so we can ignore it for the purposes of this discussion.

Pardon me while I high five myself.
2/11/2014 4:13 PM
Do you honestly think I think there's a 0% chance of more hits if Egdar swung at everything?  

If your odds of being as successful as you can be are much less when you swing at a pitch that's out of the strike zone, or on the black, then wait for your pitch.  If you don't get it, and you walk, your odds of winning and scoring runs go up.

If you're talking about a situation where you NEED a run, I understand getting angry when he's taking a hittable fastball on 2-0.  But there's no evidence on how he handled those situations.  
2/11/2014 4:14 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/11/2014 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 2/10/2014 6:55:00 PM (view original):
And around we go.

I say, "because it helps the Mariners score runs."
You say, "every time?"
I say, "sure."
You say "what if there's a runner on second, two outs and Russ Davis is hitting behind him. That walk certainly can't be viewed as a good thing."
I say "but it is. Having two guys on is always better*** than one, even if you're trading a great hitter for a lesser hitter because, in the long run, you'll score more runs."
You say, "that's stupid," but offer no evidence to actually back up your claim. Decry stats as useless and people who use them as witches.
I say, "I'm still waiting for your evidence."
You say, "I already gave you my evidence, but here, have this non-sequitur."
Mike jumps in and doubles down on his prior idiocy.
We all go down that long and twisted tunnel.
75 pages later we end up here. Exactly where we started.

So, I'll go back to the beginning one more time.

Edgar Martinez had a high OBP. He also had a high average and slugging percentage. There is nothing about his high OBP that is bad. Like all great hitters he walked at a decent rate. There is no evidence to show that he was looking for a walk or was passing the buck in important situations. In reality, he was probably being pitched around a lot. Anyone who tries to frame his high OBP as a bad thing is an idiot.

***obviously there are a couple situations where you only need one run and the second runner doesn't make any difference, bottom 9th, tie game, for example. But Martinez only walked once in his entire career in this situation (the other times he was intentionally walked), so we can ignore it for the purposes of this discussion.

Pardon me while I high five myself.
It was a very good post.  You were right, you should have walked away.  
2/11/2014 4:15 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/11/2014 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Do you honestly think I think there's a 0% chance of more hits if Egdar swung at everything?  

If your odds of being as successful as you can be are much less when you swing at a pitch that's out of the strike zone, or on the black, then wait for your pitch.  If you don't get it, and you walk, your odds of winning and scoring runs go up.

If you're talking about a situation where you NEED a run, I understand getting angry when he's taking a hittable fastball on 2-0.  But there's no evidence on how he handled those situations.  
Who has suggested he swing at everything?   Or that he must swing at pitches low and on the black? 

I think good hitters should be able to handle a pitch that isn't in their wheelhouse.    Is it your contention that every pitch he took was unhittable?
2/11/2014 4:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/11/2014 4:18:00 PM (view original):

Who has suggested he swing at everything?   Or that he must swing at pitches low and on the black? 

I think good hitters should be able to handle a pitch that isn't in their wheelhouse.    Is it your contention that every pitch he took was unhittable?
No.  What did I say that made you think that?  Why are you jumping to ridiculous conclusions on what I'm saying?

Have you also not considered the possibility that by taking the 1-0 pitch that wasn't a great pitch to swing at, then he allows himself to "wait for his pitch" and have a better atbat?  He gets a better pitch to hit and smashes it?

Do you understand how atbats work?  How you're supposed to handle yourself facing a pitcher?
2/11/2014 4:20 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/11/2014 4:20:00 PM (view original):

No.  What did I say that made you think that?  Why are you jumping to ridiculous conclusions on what I'm saying?

Have you also not considered the possibility that by taking the 1-0 pitch that wasn't a great pitch to swing at, then he allows himself to "wait for his pitch" and have a better atbat?  He gets a better pitch to hit and smashes it?

Do you understand how atbats work?  How you're supposed to handle yourself facing a pitcher?
This.

By swinging at a bad strike a hitter gives up on the possibility of getting a good strike to hit. If the downside to this patience is a walk, that's a deal he should take every time.
2/11/2014 4:23 PM
Also, PLEASE SHOW ME EVIDENCE ON HOW EDGAR MARTINEZ WAS TOO PATIENT relative to other elite cleanup hitters.  
2/11/2014 4:25 PM

Pretty much every post that asked "Was he supposed to swing at a pitch on the black?"

Have you not considered that he took pitches that was a great pitch to swing at?     Have you not considered that he didn't crush every pitch he swung at?  That some of them were outs, some were fouls and some were simple misses?   Have you not considered that a 1-0 is a hitter's count while 1-1 is more of a pitcher's count?

Do you understand anything about baseball?

2/11/2014 4:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/11/2014 4:27:00 PM (view original):

Pretty much every post that asked "Was he supposed to swing at a pitch on the black?"

Have you not considered that he took pitches that was a great pitch to swing at?     Have you not considered that he didn't crush every pitch he swung at?  That some of them were outs, some were fouls and some were simple misses?   Have you not considered that a 1-0 is a hitter's count while 1-1 is more of a pitcher's count?

Random string of questions that do nothing for your argument. Good job.
2/11/2014 4:28 PM
If you're too dumb to understand, I believe it.    Look in your stat book and tell me the probabilities of getting a hit after 1-0 pitches and 1-1 pitches. 
2/11/2014 4:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/11/2014 4:27:00 PM (view original):

Have you not considered that he took pitches that was a great pitch to swing at? - He was an elite hitter.  I'm assuming that he swung at most pitches he could hit hard and didn't swing at pitches he couldn't, relative to most hitters.

That some of them were outs, some were fouls and some were simple misses?  - Huh? Obviously.  

Have you not considered that a 1-0 is a hitter's count while 1-1 is more of a pitcher's count? - Sure.  I don't understand your point.

I'm confused what you're doing here.

2/11/2014 4:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/11/2014 4:30:00 PM (view original):
If you're too dumb to understand, I believe it.    Look in your stat book and tell me the probabilities of getting a hit after 1-0 pitches and 1-1 pitches. 
So probabilities are ok now.

Batters generally get more pitches to hit when they're ahead of the count.  They're fighting pitches off when they're behind in the count.  But maybe he should swing at that borderline 1-0 pitch anyway, because SWING THE BAT RUSS DAVIS SUCKS
2/11/2014 4:33 PM
The weirdest ******* part about this is that no one is actually complaining about anything Martinez did offensively. It's all hypothetical bullshit. It makes no sense.
2/11/2014 4:40 PM
Was his BA too low? OBP too high?
2/11/2014 4:42 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/11/2014 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Also, PLEASE SHOW ME EVIDENCE ON HOW EDGAR MARTINEZ WAS TOO PATIENT relative to other elite cleanup hitters.  
Yup.
2/11/2014 4:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...38|39|40|41|42...56 Next ▸
2015 baseball HOF ballot. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.