See ya in 2015 Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 1/14/2014 10:15:00 AM (view original):
Has anyone in baseball been suspended for beating his wife, witnessing a murder or something along that line?    I know the NFL will hit you up for "bad behavior" but has MLB ever done it?    I can't think of anyone.    If so, seems A-Rod, although guilty as **** of pretty much all charges, has a legal leg to stand on.
Denny McLain was suspended for his involvement with gambling.
1/14/2014 10:22 AM
Seems like MLB has him then.   The CBA clause seems pretty broadsweeping and McLain has set the precedent. 
1/14/2014 10:24 AM
It's highly unlikely that the debate on the merits of the suspension was ever going to see the inside of a court room anyhow.  Courts don't like to reconsider arbitration rulings - A-Rod would have to convince them that the process was fundamentally unfair before they even start talking about the actual decision.  That's rare anyhow, and I'm guessing the fact that A-Rod basically walked away from the process doesn't help him.

Arbitration was where he needed to make those kinds of arguments.
1/14/2014 10:36 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/14/2014 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Has anyone in baseball been suspended for beating his wife, witnessing a murder or something along that line?    I know the NFL will hit you up for "bad behavior" but has MLB ever done it?    I can't think of anyone.    If so, seems A-Rod, although guilty as **** of pretty much all charges, has a legal leg to stand on.
Was gambling specifically banned at that point? I know it was now.

If Selig is using that clause, I guess it is what it is.
1/14/2014 10:40 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/14/2014 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 1/14/2014 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Was gambling specifically banned at that point? I know it was now.

If Selig is using that clause, I guess it is what it is.
Black Sox, 1919.
1/14/2014 10:51 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/14/2014 10:21:00 AM (view original):
There is a "best interests" clause in the CBA. 

Article XII B:

Conduct Detrimental or Prejudicial to Baseball

Players may be disciplined for just cause for conduct that is materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of Baseball including, but not limited to, engaging in conduct in violation of federal, state or local law. The Commissioner and a Club shall not discipline a Player for the same act or conduct under this provision. In cases of this type, a Club may only discipline a Player, or take other adverse action against him, when the Commissioner defers the disciplinary decision to the Club.

The arbitrator ruled that Rodriguez was only being punished under the JDA. Not that clause of the CBA.
1/14/2014 11:33 AM
Then 162 is nonsense.  If you want to argue 150 (one drug, one day, one offense. second drug, second day, second offense) then ok, i guess.
1/14/2014 11:38 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/14/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Then 162 is nonsense.  If you want to argue 150 (one drug, one day, one offense. second drug, second day, second offense) then ok, i guess.
Yep. And, in that case, wouldn't it be first offense 50 games, second offense, 100 games, third offense life?

They are fuzzing the line because they are calling it a non-analytical positive, meaning Arod didn't actually test positive. Arod would have been better off just failing a test, which is complete horseshit.
1/14/2014 11:48 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/14/2014 11:33:00 AM (view original):

Article XII B:

Players may be disciplined for just cause for conduct that is materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of Baseball including, but not limited to, engaging in conduct in violation of federal, state or local law. The Commissioner and a Club shall not discipline a Player for the same act or conduct under this provision. In cases of this type, a Club may only discipline a Player, or take other adverse action against him, when the Commissioner defers the disciplinary decision to the Club.

The arbitrator ruled that Rodriguez was only being punished under the JDA. Not that clause of the CBA.
Apparently, you didn't read the ruling:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/ARODMLB01132014.pdf

The conclusion is on page 76 (second to last page) of the PDF.  It very specifically sites Article XII (B).
1/14/2014 11:53 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/14/2014 11:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/14/2014 11:33:00 AM (view original):

Article XII B:

Apparently, you didn't read the ruling:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/ARODMLB01132014.pdf

The conclusion is on page 76 (second to last page) of the PDF.  It very specifically sites Article XII (B).
You are correct. I must have misunderstood the summary I read.

He gets three 50 games suspensions under the JDA and a 12 game suspension under the basic agreement. Weird.
1/14/2014 12:09 PM

"I think in the year 2014, the league could have done me a favor because I've played 20 years without a timeout," Rodriguez said, according to the AP.

Sounds to me that A-Rod has decided to give up his day in court.   Perhaps because he didn't want the sealed docs becoming public?

1/16/2014 2:56 PM
I thought that originally too, but I don't know - his spokesperson had this to say today: "This process has been taxing both mentally and physically throughout the past eight months. Alex will abide by the rulings of the federal judge -- whatever he decides -- and get ready for 2015 should the judge rule against him. He will continue to move forward with his complaint which will help all players against this unfair system."
1/16/2014 3:39 PM
Apparently, Arod didn't actually try to bribe Bosch. It was a mistake. This is looking more and more like MLB out to get Arod at any cost.

http://deadspin.com/a-rods-bribe-of-tony-bosch-doesnt-look-much-like-a-1503335249

1/17/2014 12:00 PM
One could argue that the "odd" number was sent to cover-up the bribe attempt if rejected.   Or it could have been a mistake.   Either way, you just have to decide which liar you want to believe. 
1/17/2014 12:10 PM
Horowitz didn't mention the bribe in his decision, so it's sort of irrelevant.
1/17/2014 12:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...9 Next ▸
See ya in 2015 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.