Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by Jtpsops on 2/14/2014 8:15:00 PM (view original):
Typical MikeT throwing up smokescreens..."B-b-but it's ARod!!" So because ARod is a piece of garbage, that makes Jeter less of a ****** teammate? Showing your teammates up on the field or sitting back as "The Captain" and watching one of your teammates get devoured by anyone and everyone makes him the shittiest of teammates. I don't care who the player in question is. Even last year, when ARod came back as Public Douche #1, Girardi stood up and said "It doesn't matter what he's done or how people feel about him. He's one of us and we're going to support him". Never EVER heard that from Captain Derek.

How about another example - Ripken. Final years of his career, team gets Bordick who at that point was a far superior defender at SS. So what happens? Ripken moves to 3B. Jeter should be taking it upon himself to go to the Yankees and say "Look, if you guys can get Drew in here, I'll move to 2B because it'll make this team way better". Wouldn't happen in a million years because Jeter doesn't put himself out for the betterment of the team.

And to those saying I'm just hating on Jeter because he's a Yankee - I've never had a bad thing to say about Pettitte or Rivera. Rivera was the epitome of class. Jeter, far from it.
Oh bullshit...in an 18 year career or however long it was, Jeter has a problem with one guy and that's going to be his legacy?  Bullshit.  Nobody likes Arod.  Jeter gets a pass on Aroid.

2/14/2014 10:38 PM
2/14/2014 10:42 PM
Posted by The Taint on 2/14/2014 10:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/14/2014 8:15:00 PM (view original):
Typical MikeT throwing up smokescreens..."B-b-but it's ARod!!" So because ARod is a piece of garbage, that makes Jeter less of a ****** teammate? Showing your teammates up on the field or sitting back as "The Captain" and watching one of your teammates get devoured by anyone and everyone makes him the shittiest of teammates. I don't care who the player in question is. Even last year, when ARod came back as Public Douche #1, Girardi stood up and said "It doesn't matter what he's done or how people feel about him. He's one of us and we're going to support him". Never EVER heard that from Captain Derek.

How about another example - Ripken. Final years of his career, team gets Bordick who at that point was a far superior defender at SS. So what happens? Ripken moves to 3B. Jeter should be taking it upon himself to go to the Yankees and say "Look, if you guys can get Drew in here, I'll move to 2B because it'll make this team way better". Wouldn't happen in a million years because Jeter doesn't put himself out for the betterment of the team.

And to those saying I'm just hating on Jeter because he's a Yankee - I've never had a bad thing to say about Pettitte or Rivera. Rivera was the epitome of class. Jeter, far from it.
Oh bullshit...in an 18 year career or however long it was, Jeter has a problem with one guy and that's going to be his legacy?  Bullshit.  Nobody likes Arod.  Jeter gets a pass on Aroid.

So you think he's encouraging the team to sign Drew and offering to move to 2B? Because that truly would greatly improve the Yankees for the coming season, and give them a SS for the next year or two after Jeter leaves.
2/15/2014 1:41 AM
As a fan of "the great" Cal Ripken, perhaps you shouldn't be throwing stones about selfish players.
2/15/2014 7:57 AM
Yeah, extending his games started streak certainly didn't hurt the team.   Seems like, maybe once, twice a season, he might have said "You know what?  I was hit in the hand last night and I can hardly hold a bat.   Maybe I should sit this one out."
2/15/2014 9:42 AM
2/15/2014 9:44 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/15/2014 7:58:00 AM (view original):
As a fan of "the great" Cal Ripken, perhaps you shouldn't be throwing stones about selfish players.
Give me one example of a game where his playing hurt the team. Cal at even 70% was always better than the next available option at SS for the Orioles.

I'll be waiting.
2/15/2014 8:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/15/2014 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, extending his games started streak certainly didn't hurt the team.   Seems like, maybe once, twice a season, he might have said "You know what?  I was hit in the hand last night and I can hardly hold a bat.   Maybe I should sit this one out."
Kind of like how you'd think once in 10 years, you might take a day off and save us all having to read your obnoxious drivel for once?

Now, go back to pretending you're not reading my posts. And tell us more stories about all the truck stop whores you banged. It'll help kill some time before the season starts.
2/15/2014 8:38 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/15/2014 8:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/15/2014 7:58:00 AM (view original):
Give me one example of a game where his playing hurt the team. Cal at even 70% was always better than the next available option at SS for the Orioles.

I'll be waiting.
Really?

OK.  June 23, 1996.  CR Jr. went 0-3 with 3 K's.  Somebody else might have gotten a couple of hits.

You want more?  I'll list every hitless game he ever had during "the streak" if that will help.

Moron.
2/15/2014 11:00 PM
One June 23rd, 1996..Kevin Appier struck out 11, allowed 2 hits in 8 IP in a 4-0 shut out of the Orioles. Ripken struck out 3 times in 3 AB hitting 6th. All of his Ks came with the bases empty and the two players behind him, also were hitless for the day. It does not appear that his lack of offense cost the Orioles the game. Defensively, Ripken only had 4 balls hit his way during the game. One was through the hole between 3b-SS for a hit, one he got to in the hole and threw the runner out (+) play, and the others were routine ground outs. He also was the middle man on a 4-6-3 DP.

I think it is safe to say that Ripken did not "hurt" his team on this day. I'd be careful about tossing the "moron" label around if you are only going to cite one aspect of the game of baseball in analyzing a game or career.

"Just seeing Cal out there everyday was an inspiration. He was always a settling presence."  Chris Hoiles
2/16/2014 1:10 AM
Sort of like saying "Yeah, Jeter didn't support A-Rod like he did other players.  He's a classless jerk"?

2/16/2014 7:24 AM
well, I have never said that about Jeter. His apparent promiscuity on the other hand is certainly not something I would want my sons to emulate. Although to be fair, I don't know the specific nature of his relationships. They could be cover for him for all I know. Is he a HOF SS, absolutely. Is he a saint? Uh, no.
2/16/2014 7:40 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 2/16/2014 1:10:00 AM (view original):
One June 23rd, 1996..Kevin Appier struck out 11, allowed 2 hits in 8 IP in a 4-0 shut out of the Orioles. Ripken struck out 3 times in 3 AB hitting 6th. All of his Ks came with the bases empty and the two players behind him, also were hitless for the day. It does not appear that his lack of offense cost the Orioles the game. Defensively, Ripken only had 4 balls hit his way during the game. One was through the hole between 3b-SS for a hit, one he got to in the hole and threw the runner out (+) play, and the others were routine ground outs. He also was the middle man on a 4-6-3 DP.

I think it is safe to say that Ripken did not "hurt" his team on this day. I'd be careful about tossing the "moron" label around if you are only going to cite one aspect of the game of baseball in analyzing a game or career.

"Just seeing Cal out there everyday was an inspiration. He was always a settling presence."  Chris Hoiles
So . . . "Great game Cal, keep up the good work"?
2/16/2014 8:42 AM
Is that what I said? Do you understand how baseball works?  So by your reasoning, any day that Ruth or Mantle or Cobb didn't get a hit is a day that their team would have been better off with them not playing? Are you sure you want to go there?

Thank you Capt. Clairvoyant for knowing which players to play which days. I am surprised that you are not a major league manager. You would be the highest paid one in history and a lock for the HOF. You have missed your calling!
2/16/2014 8:55 AM
"Give me one example of a game where his playing hurt the team."

That was jt's question.  It's a ridiculous premise.  I answered in kind.

The final seven years of so of Ripken's streak, he was a very ordinary player.  It's mind-boggling to believe that the Orioles benefited from him being there every single day for 1100+ consecutive games during those seven seasons.
2/16/2014 10:17 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.