Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 2/19/2014 6:52:00 PM (view original):
He has basically the same opinion of Ripken that you seem to have of Jeter.
Really?

Where in this thread have I praised Jeter as "he can can do no wrong"?

Please refer me to those posts where I did that.

2/19/2014 9:18 PM (edited)
This is where he says "Maybe not you and maybe not in this thread.   But thousands, if not millions, of Yankee fans think that."
2/19/2014 8:11 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 9:18:00 PM (view original):
Really?

Where have I said Ripken did no wrong? Was I the idiot who said "duh, he went 0-3 in a game in '92, so the streak hurt the team!!"

There have been legit claims made against Jeter - there are times when him switching positions clearly would have improved the team, but it didn't happen. Ripken was faced with the same opportunity and made the switch. And then Captain STD claimed that playing SS apparently places a lot more wear and tear on the body than playing 3B (proof, please?)

If you want to think Ripken is selfish, or that his streak hurt the team, so be it - but you better have more intelligent responses than "Duh, his streak hurt the team cuz he went 0-fer this one time!" or "Moving from SS to 3B extends your career!"
2/19/2014 9:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 3:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/19/2014 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2014 12:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 12:05:00 PM (view original):
When did Mike say that "Jeter would never have budged" if asked by the Yankees to switch positions?
I didn't.    To the best of our knowledge, he was never asked and he never volunteered.   

We do know that Cashman said trading for A-Rod revolved around his willingness to switch positions.   Did they ask Jeter and he said "no"?   Or did they project A-Rod to be a 3B as he aged like Ripken?    We don't know.

This.   The trade was contingent on A-Rod moving.    Do we know why the Yanks asked A-Rod if he'd play 3B?   No, we do not.

I mean, Jeter is better served at 3B too - his range also got worse.

I get not asking Jeter to move from SS.  I understand the reasoning.  But at that moment, the team was better off with Jeter learning to play 3B.  We know Jeter didn't volunteer. 
Is he?   I don't think players wake up and say "Hey, I'll just play --insert position-- and it will be easy because I've played SS since Little League."

Honestly, I think the selfish ***** Ripken moved to 3B because it was less wear and tear.  Made it easier for him to continue the streak.    Wouldn't be surprised to find out that A-Rod agreed to move so he could chase the HR record without exhausting himself in the field.    Rickey didn't want to play CF because it hurt his basestealing.   This sort of thing is not unheard of.
Yes, because it's not like he'd already broken the record when he made the switch. It's a good thing he changed positions and extended that streak though - someone easily would have caught him by now if he hadn't.

As usual, don't let facts get in the way of your argument.
2/19/2014 9:34 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/19/2014 9:30:00 PM (view original):
Really?

Where have I said Ripken did no wrong? Was I the idiot who said "duh, he went 0-3 in a game in '92, so the streak hurt the team!!"

There have been legit claims made against Jeter - there are times when him switching positions clearly would have improved the team, but it didn't happen. Ripken was faced with the same opportunity and made the switch. And then Captain STD claimed that playing SS apparently places a lot more wear and tear on the body than playing 3B (proof, please?)

If you want to think Ripken is selfish, or that his streak hurt the team, so be it - but you better have more intelligent responses than "Duh, his streak hurt the team cuz he went 0-fer this one time!" or "Moving from SS to 3B extends your career!"
You were the idiot that said "Give me one example of a game where his playing hurt the team."

If an 0-3 with 3 K's doesn't answer that question, then you need to tell me what kind of answer you would accept.

I do think Ripken was selfish with his streak.  I felt that way while it was going on, the longer it went, when he had become a very average player during the final years of the streak.  It became bigger than the team.  When the story around one player becomes more important than the team, that's not a good thing.

You're entitled to feel the same way about Jeter if you wish.  However, the way you present your "argument" comes across as a hater.  He had an obvious problem with one teammate during his entire tenure with the Yankees.  Coincidentally, that one teammate also happens to be one of the biggest douche bags in the history of MLB.  That's pretty much the extent of your argument.
2/19/2014 10:04 PM
Did the retard saying playing SS is not more wear and tear on the body than playing 3B?   Has he watched a game?    You play 3B, you take one step, you catch the ball or you don't.    Play over for you.   SS does so much more on every play. 
2/19/2014 10:28 PM
so Jeter's lack of range would be less of a problem at 3B than SS...
2/19/2014 11:22 PM
Really?

Please refer me to the post where jtp said that about Ripken.

Thanks.

2/19/2014 11:41 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Really?

You were the idiot that said "Give me one example of a game where his playing hurt the team."

If an 0-3 with 3 K's doesn't answer that question, then you need to tell me what kind of answer you would accept.

I do think Ripken was selfish with his streak.  I felt that way while it was going on, the longer it went, when he had become a very average player during the final years of the streak.  It became bigger than the team.  When the story around one player becomes more important than the team, that's not a good thing.

You're entitled to feel the same way about Jeter if you wish.  However, the way you present your "argument" comes across as a hater.  He had an obvious problem with one teammate during his entire tenure with the Yankees.  Coincidentally, that one teammate also happens to be one of the biggest douche bags in the history of MLB.  That's pretty much the extent of your argument.
I apologize - I clearly gave you too much credit. You are the ultimate dumbass, so congrats.

I was responding to MikeT's implication that Ripken extended the streak to the detriment of his team. I was asking for an example of how his playing every day was a negative for his team. I thought you could follow the conversation, but I guess you need it spelled out for you.

And besides, your absolute stupidity was already pointed out when you were asked if the likes of Ruth, Mantle, Cabrera, etc. were selfish and hurting their teams because they happened to go 0-3 in a game. This is why you're not a major league manager. "Sorry Miguel, you're riding the pine today. I feel an 0-fer coming on and I don't want you to hurt the team."

Vintage MikeT...err, I mean tec. Sorry, it's getting hard to tell you guys apart.
2/20/2014 12:07 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 2/19/2014 11:22:00 PM (view original):
so Jeter's lack of range would be less of a problem at 3B than SS...
Seems we weren't able to come to a consensus as to why Jeter lacked range.    Foot speed, reaction time, acceleration and positioning have been mentioned.  So, depending on which reason you think is the primary reason, maybe, maybe not.
2/20/2014 8:21 AM
tecwrg is licking miket23's nuts as we speak. pathetic.
2/20/2014 8:28 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/19/2014 11:41:00 PM (view original):
Really?

Please refer me to the post where jtp said that about Ripken.

Thanks.

The totality of his posts about Ripken in this thread paint a pretty clear picture of his opinion.

I've actually said very little about Jeter in this thread, if you would care to go back and read.
2/20/2014 9:36 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/20/2014 12:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/19/2014 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Really?

I apologize - I clearly gave you too much credit. You are the ultimate dumbass, so congrats.

I was responding to MikeT's implication that Ripken extended the streak to the detriment of his team. I was asking for an example of how his playing every day was a negative for his team. I thought you could follow the conversation, but I guess you need it spelled out for you.

And besides, your absolute stupidity was already pointed out when you were asked if the likes of Ruth, Mantle, Cabrera, etc. were selfish and hurting their teams because they happened to go 0-3 in a game. This is why you're not a major league manager. "Sorry Miguel, you're riding the pine today. I feel an 0-fer coming on and I don't want you to hurt the team."

Vintage MikeT...err, I mean tec. Sorry, it's getting hard to tell you guys apart.
Sorry, you'll have to show me the post where I was asked about Ruth, Mantle and Cabrera.  I must have missed that.
2/20/2014 9:38 AM
And then there are those of us who feel that BOTH Jeter and Ripken were selfish...
2/20/2014 10:43 AM
I'm actually in that group.  I think all top-level people, in any walk of life, have a selfish side.   Ghandi died a long time ago but I bet he kept a little something on the side for himself.     That said..........

2/20/2014 10:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.