Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

From the article:

"But Ripken is also very protective of his image, and he was well aware of the mounting criticism that his record no longer contained relevance. He had gone far beyond Gehrig's record, his run production was among the worst in the American League, and the Orioles had young players waiting in the wings. Whose purpose did it serve to have Ripken play every single game?"
2/23/2014 1:37 PM
Way to completely ignore the contents of the article.
2/23/2014 1:38 PM
ALL HAIL, SAINT CALVIN!!!!
2/23/2014 2:17 PM

Arguing with jtpops will only make you dumber.

2/23/2014 6:25 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/23/2014 1:37:00 PM (view original):
From the article:

"But Ripken is also very protective of his image, and he was well aware of the mounting criticism that his record no longer contained relevance. He had gone far beyond Gehrig's record, his run production was among the worst in the American League, and the Orioles had young players waiting in the wings. Whose purpose did it serve to have Ripken play every single game?"
Ya, that Ryan Minor was a stud. That bastard Ripken killed his HOF career.
2/24/2014 6:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/23/2014 6:25:00 PM (view original):

Arguing with jtpops will only make you dumber.

I'm curious - if the whore has a smaller rack than you, do you move along, or do you just take whatever you can get?
2/24/2014 6:53 PM (edited)
An interesting read from "The Pesky Pole" website...

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Derek Jeter Retirement: Setting the Record Straight

Derek Jeter announced that 2014 will be his final season and the media began to wax poetically about his greatness. Don't get me wrong, Jeter is a great player and had a great career and he won the great shortstop debate between Nomar Garciaparra and Alex Rodriguez. I tip my hat to him. He played hard and did play the game the right way. I have posted many times about Derek Jeter on this blog. You can see all my posts about him right here.

However, the nonsense about his leadership and unselfishness makes me want to puke. Derek has an ego and is selfish just like any other pro athlete. The media likes to compare him to Joe Dimaggio with his "quiet class". I agree with that comparison. He is a lot like Joe, and that is not a compliment. I blogged about this in my post called The Captain?

Rick Sutcliffe gushed about how Jeter was all about winning and if he felt the Yankees were better off without him ten years earlier he would have retired then. Really Rick? It was interesting he picked ten years ago since that was the year the Yankees traded for the best shortstop in the game and Jeter did not move from his position. What a leader. I blogged about his lack of leadership in a post titled The Derek Jeter Debate Continues.

Jeter was a great player but he was overrated. That is not his fault. That is a product of playing for the Yankees. He had his flaws, mainly defensively where he was below average his whole career. I addressed that in a blog post when it was suggested by some that he was better than Chipper Jones. In that post titled Why Chipper Jones is Better Than Derek Jeter, it becomes clear that he is not in the class of Larry Wayne Jones.

I also blogged Will Derek Jeter Prove Me Wrong? By retiring, he has in a way. I really thought he would hang on to the real bitter end and really put the Yankees in an awful situation. Maybe he finally did put the team first.

I don't hate Derek, I just hate this false narrative. I even wrote him a love letter which is fitting since tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Here it is My Love Letter to Derek Jeter. Happy retirement Derek.
Posted by Michael Dobreski at 7:57 PM

2/27/2014 12:29 AM
Yeah, an article from "The Pesky Pole" won't be biased.

Should I counter with an article from "Jeter is God" website?
2/27/2014 7:07 AM
2/27/2014 7:30 AM

LOL @ rsp for posting that.

"I'm Joseph Goebbels, and I approve of the journalistic integrity of "The Pesky Pole" website!"

2/27/2014 8:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2014 7:07:00 AM (view original):

Is there anything in the article that is wrong?

He basically just says that Jeter is somewhat overrated (true), he was below average defensively (something I think you have admitted), and that he isn't a saint (probably true).

Who cares if the site is biased? The article itself isn't wrong.
2/27/2014 11:09 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/27/2014 11:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2014 7:07:00 AM (view original):

Is there anything in the article that is wrong?

He basically just says that Jeter is somewhat overrated (true), he was below average defensively (something I think you have admitted), and that he isn't a saint (probably true).

Who cares if the site is biased? The article itself isn't wrong.
There is....to a biased Yankee fan.
2/27/2014 11:48 AM

It's a wonderful slice of hater-aid.    The BLOGGER has admittedly written many hater articles about Jeter.   What would make his viewpoint even slightly valid?  Or worth reading?

2/27/2014 1:20 PM
Would you go to a Tea Bagger's blog to get a thoughtful, fair and balanced opinion on gay rights, gun control, or immigration reform?
2/27/2014 1:42 PM
I would judge the merits of the piece by the piece itself, not necessarily by what else has been written on the site. That article on Jeter was right. Jeter is somewhat overrated. Jeter was not good defensively. Jeter is probably just as selfish as the next superstar athlete.

So yes, tec, I could possibly do that. Yesterday there was a very good piece on tax reform in the usually insane WSJ op/ed pages. That specific column wasn't biased or deserving of dismissal just because it was published in a normally very biased section of a conservative newspaper.
2/27/2014 2:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.