Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 2/27/2014 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Buster Olney disagrees.
And Olney has some valid points and it's also a very good article. It doesn't, however, change my opinion that Jeter's defense takes quite a bit away from his offense. Olney disagrees, and puts little value on Jeter's defensive shortcomings. I feel differently. If the Yankees would have stuck Jeter in left when Rodriguez arrived they'd have been a better TEAM, and their future would have unfolded decidedly differently. It's all just opinion, and mine is that Jeter, while a definitive Hall of Fame player, was, and is, overrated, and that the Yankees would have been FAR better served if he would have moved off of shortstop 10 years ago.
2/27/2014 8:16 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2014 8:08:00 PM (view original):

Skimmed.  The parts around the links.    Much like you'd look at www.obamasucks.org and ignore the rest.

Did you disagree with the article?
2/27/2014 8:20 PM
You'll have to excuse me if I dismiss the opinion on defensive ability from a guy who said "He played a respectable 3B":

2/27/2014 8:22 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/27/2014 8:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2014 8:08:00 PM (view original):

Skimmed.  The parts around the links.    Much like you'd look at www.obamasucks.org and ignore the rest.

Did you disagree with the article?
I said I skimmed it.   However, since you've asked me twice and you know I didn't read it, I assume I've made several of the same statements.   Below average D, selfish, etc, etc.
2/27/2014 8:24 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 2/27/2014 8:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/27/2014 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Buster Olney disagrees.
And Olney has some valid points and it's also a very good article. It doesn't, however, change my opinion that Jeter's defense takes quite a bit away from his offense. Olney disagrees, and puts little value on Jeter's defensive shortcomings. I feel differently. If the Yankees would have stuck Jeter in left when Rodriguez arrived they'd have been a better TEAM, and their future would have unfolded decidedly differently. It's all just opinion, and mine is that Jeter, while a definitive Hall of Fame player, was, and is, overrated, and that the Yankees would have been FAR better served if he would have moved off of shortstop 10 years ago.

And had ARod played short (and was able to play an adequate SS for the next 10 years), then who would play 3B?  And if ARod played say the first 5 seasons at SS and then moved to third when he grew out of the position, who would have played SS for the next 5 seasons?

It's nice to argue about moving Jeter in a vacuum, but you just can't ignore the fact that moving people around in a theoretical exercise leaves holes on the field that would need to be filled by somebody else.

2/27/2014 8:30 PM
Then what are we arguing about?
2/27/2014 8:31 PM
That reading a critique of Jeter from a blogger on Pesky's Pole is a waste of time.   Giving his words value is dumb.
2/27/2014 8:34 PM
Everyone is biased. His points aren't less valid, though.
2/27/2014 8:41 PM

No, they're just not worth reading.  Because, as I've said, you know what they are without bothering to read it. 

Much like an article on the ACA from www.obamasucks.org isn't worth reading.  

Which has been my point.

2/27/2014 8:48 PM
So, in the interest if time, you skimmed it, slammed it for being biased despite the fact that you agreed with it, and then spent several posts arguing with me.

Good job, efficiency expert.
2/27/2014 8:55 PM
I'm trying to get "Arguing with badluck" as an Olympic sport.   You won't mock me if I succeed.
2/27/2014 9:14 PM

Actually, upon further review, I wasn't really arguing with anyone until you posted.  I was simply dismissing rsvp777's post.   So maybe you're trying to get "Arguing with MikeT23" into the Olympics.

Perhaps we should band together and just try to get "Arguing about dumb **** on the internet" into the Olympics.   We'd be favorites for the podium.

2/27/2014 9:23 PM
You post one picture where Cabrera got hurt on a bad hop and say he was bad defensively. It only shows your lack of actual knowledge Mike. Look at Cabrera's numbers. He was a MORE than adequate third baseman, though, much like Jeter, had little range. Only when you're a shortstop with lousy range it kinda stands out a bit more. Your Cabrera moke is just stupid, childish and devoid of any actual knowledge of his play at third and you KNOW it. Here's a couple along your lines...

2/28/2014 12:14 AM (edited)
2/28/2014 12:17 AM
They don't call him..."Past the Diving" Jeter for nothing...

2/28/2014 12:18 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.