Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by toddcommish on 2/28/2014 8:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 2:44:00 PM (view original):

What purpose does it serve for a person of declining skills to break a longevity record?  Or should I say, whose purpose?

And I'm sorry that you apparently don't understand the concepts of class or respect.

Uh, to be fair, Gehrig was in considerably greater decline near the end of his streak than Ripken was...
Uh, maybe for the 8 games he played in 1939 before he pulled himself from the lineup.

1938 was a down year for him, but he still put up a .932 OPS and a 132 OPS+.  He was still producing well above league average.

Ripken's offense was below league average for the final seven years of his streak.
2/28/2014 10:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2014 2:49:00 PM (view original):
I'm not a fan of Ripken but I'll defend him on this.

He showed up to play.   If he didn't throw a hissy at game 978 or 1352 or 1776 or, you get the point, because he wasn't in the line-up, it's not really his fault that the manager kept putting him it.  He could have asked for a day off, much like Jeter could have volunteered to move from SS, but there's something to showing up and going to work every day.   However, if you're going to **** all over Jeter for not jumping up and down and screaming "I'LL PLAY ANOTHER POSITION!!!  I WILL!!!  I WILL!!!", save a little bit of your **** for Ripken for not saying "TAKE ME OUT OF THE LINE-UP!!!!  I'LL SIT TODAY!!!!  I WILL!!!!  I WILL!!!!"

IOW, don't be a ******* hypocrite.
Once again, if you can't see the difference between a guy showing up and expecting to be in the lineup, and a guy being a detriment to his team when there are better players for his position, then you're just proving what a retard you are.

I know it's not an approach you like Mikey, but let's try comparing apples to apples for once. When a better player came onto the team, Ripken voluntarily switched positions - Jeter didn't. That's what we know.
2/28/2014 10:30 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/28/2014 10:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2014 2:49:00 PM (view original):
I'm not a fan of Ripken but I'll defend him on this.

He showed up to play.   If he didn't throw a hissy at game 978 or 1352 or 1776 or, you get the point, because he wasn't in the line-up, it's not really his fault that the manager kept putting him it.  He could have asked for a day off, much like Jeter could have volunteered to move from SS, but there's something to showing up and going to work every day.   However, if you're going to **** all over Jeter for not jumping up and down and screaming "I'LL PLAY ANOTHER POSITION!!!  I WILL!!!  I WILL!!!", save a little bit of your **** for Ripken for not saying "TAKE ME OUT OF THE LINE-UP!!!!  I'LL SIT TODAY!!!!  I WILL!!!!  I WILL!!!!"

IOW, don't be a ******* hypocrite.
Once again, if you can't see the difference between a guy showing up and expecting to be in the lineup, and a guy being a detriment to his team when there are better players for his position, then you're just proving what a retard you are.

I know it's not an approach you like Mikey, but let's try comparing apples to apples for once. When a better player came onto the team, Ripken voluntarily switched positions - Jeter didn't. That's what we know.
And what exactly did Ripken volunteer to do when he was producing at below league average offensive levels for the last seven years of his streak?

That knife cuts both ways.  Stop pretending that it doesn't.
3/1/2014 7:47 AM
For ****'s sake.  

"I expect to play today because no one has told me I won't."
"I expect to play SS because no one has told me I won't."

What is the ******* difference?    Someone please explain that to the retard that goes by jtpops.
3/1/2014 7:54 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 10:13:00 PM (view original):

What purpose does it serve for a person of declining skills to break a longevity record?  Or should I say, whose purpose?

And I'm sorry that you apparently don't understand the concepts of class or respect.

Uh, to be fair, Gehrig was in considerably greater decline near the end of his streak than Ripken was...
Uh, maybe for the 8 games he played in 1939 before he pulled himself from the lineup.

1938 was a down year for him, but he still put up a .932 OPS and a 132 OPS+.  He was still producing well above league average.

Ripken's offense was below league average for the final seven years of his streak.
But he was playing shortstop so his actual value was pretty high. He wasn't hurting the team by playing.
3/1/2014 12:56 PM
3/1/2014 1:25 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/1/2014 12:56:00 PM (view original):

But he was playing shortstop so his actual value was pretty high. He wasn't hurting the team by playing.
Jeter's been producing above league average offense and playing shortstop.

So what's the problem?
3/1/2014 1:49 PM
Jeter's playing shortstop poorly?

I think very few people have a fair valuation of Jeter at this point.  He's overrated in New York and by Yankees fans around the country, who seem to think he's basically God.  And the rest of the world started a backlash response to the NY love over a decade below and now it's just too easy for non-Yankees fans to forget how good a player he really is.  Not nearly enough people who can just look at the guy and say, "hey, he had substantial flaws, but the guy can hit, he plays hard, and he never quits on anything."  Just about any manager would love to have the guy, ego or no ego.
3/1/2014 1:54 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/1/2014 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/1/2014 12:56:00 PM (view original):

Jeter's been producing above league average offense and playing shortstop.

So what's the problem?
I have no problem with Jeter.
3/1/2014 2:17 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/1/2014 1:54:00 PM (view original):
Jeter's playing shortstop poorly?

I think very few people have a fair valuation of Jeter at this point.  He's overrated in New York and by Yankees fans around the country, who seem to think he's basically God.  And the rest of the world started a backlash response to the NY love over a decade below and now it's just too easy for non-Yankees fans to forget how good a player he really is.  Not nearly enough people who can just look at the guy and say, "hey, he had substantial flaws, but the guy can hit, he plays hard, and he never quits on anything."  Just about any manager would love to have the guy, ego or no ego.
Really, what you have is pushback from Yankee fans when it's intimated that Jeter's D is killing the Yankees.   Is he below average?  Sure.  He has been for quite some time. But the Yankees have been a contender since the day he stepped on the field.   That allows one to overlook a wart or two. 

It's much like rsvp defending Miggy's D at 3B(he's horrible) or jtpops defending Ripken's decision to play every day when everyone except jtpops knows he'd have helped the team more by taking a few games off every year.
3/1/2014 3:52 PM
And on both counts you're WRONG Mike. As for Cabrera, we all KNOW you never even WATCHED him play 3rd. I watched him for 2 seasons. Look at his fielding numbers. Your argument doesn't hold water.  And the entire free world KNOWS and has SEEN what a **** fielder Jeter is. End of story. As to Ripken...I don't think he EVER hurt his team by going out there. He also had the sense to move to third when a better shortstop came to town and, unlike your hero Gehrig, didn't fudge appearances to set a record. You can sit on your high horse for eternity but you'll NEVER be right.

CLOSED!!!

3/1/2014 4:04 PM
Cabrera is pretty horrible at third.
3/1/2014 6:37 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 3/1/2014 4:04:00 PM (view original):
And on both counts you're WRONG Mike. As for Cabrera, we all KNOW you never even WATCHED him play 3rd. I watched him for 2 seasons. Look at his fielding numbers. Your argument doesn't hold water.  And the entire free world KNOWS and has SEEN what a **** fielder Jeter is. End of story. As to Ripken...I don't think he EVER hurt his team by going out there. He also had the sense to move to third when a better shortstop came to town and, unlike your hero Gehrig, didn't fudge appearances to set a record. You can sit on your high horse for eternity but you'll NEVER be right.

CLOSED!!!

Don't try to talk sense into Mike. All those truckstop whores he banged for years clearly clouded his ability to think clearly. STD's can have serious effects.

Mike and tec both think that saying "hey, I suck at SS, and there's a much better fielding one on the team, but I'm going to stay right where I am!" is equivalent to a guy showing up ready to play and having his name put in the lineup. They think Ripken should have showed up some days and said "Gee, skip...I think I might go 0-3 today, so you better bench me!"

What the tweedledee and tweedledick fail to realize is that if Ripken went 0-3, he was still a HUGE help to his team on defense. If Jeter goes 0-3, he doesn't give his team ****.
3/1/2014 9:44 PM (edited)
Posted by tecwrg on 2/28/2014 2:04:00 PM (view original):

And as for Ripken's streak.  Let's say, just for ***** and giggles, it ended at game 2129 for a non-injury reason.  Maybe his car breaks down on the way to the ball park, or he's kidnapped by aliens for a couple of hours.

Would he have continued to play the next 503 games, or would he have been given or taken off a couple of games along the way?  If it's the latter, then why?

jt, please answer this question.
3/1/2014 9:46 PM
I can't answer that. Ripken showed up to play. It's up to the manager if he's in the lineup. No player is going to bench himself when he's healthy - NONE.

Switching positions is not the same as benching yourself because if Jeter switches positions, his bat is still in the lineup. You're implying Ripken should have straight up taken himself out of games. It's not even close to being the same comparison.

And as I previously pointed out, even if Ripken's bat was below average at times, his defense was always superior, so he still wasn't hurting his team if he wasn't getting it done at the plate.
3/1/2014 9:59 PM
◂ Prev 1...26|27|28|29|30...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.