Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 11:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/11/2014 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Wow...comparing your softball games to Miggy and the MLB.  Congrats on the losing the argument.

Can't believe this is still going on....what a joke.
Another ignorant *******.

It really wasn't the point.    I was simply pointing out that people, even those of considerably less athletic ability, can avoid getting hit the face with a batted ball.
I think we all agree that
A) Cabrera is a bad defensive 3rd baseman
B) he's still a crazy good athlete

Knowing that, what do you think is more likely:
X) it was a bad hop/unlucky bounce that could have happened to anyone
Y) Cabrera is so bad at 3rd that even you are better at it than him
How many non-pitchers have been hit in the face with a batted baseball in MLB in the last 10 years?

Just a number, not multiple choice.
If I had to guess, I'd say more than one.
You don't have to guess.   There's a way to look up stuff on the internet.
So you already know the answer? Am I right? Is it more than one?
What's the answer here?
3/11/2014 12:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/10/2014 8:56:00 PM (view original):
http://www.efastball.com/hitting/average-bat-speed-exit-speed-by-age-group/   And, obviously, baseballs can exceed 120 MPH.   So we're back to where we were. 

That said, I doubt I was hit by a 100 MPH ball and I doubt anyone in your league hits the ball as hard as Pujols in his heyday.
So, if a baseball has to have an exit speed of 90 MPH to travel 300 ft, I wonder what the exit speed would have to be for a softball to travel that far?  You know, with all the extra resistance, less density, etc, etc?
I'd guess that it's still right around 90 mph. Once a softball is moving 90 mph, it's still going to fly almost as far as a baseball.

I think the density comes into play generating the velocity, not once he velocity has been established.

We're way off topic, anyway. I still say it's much harder to play third base in baseball than it is in softball.
3/11/2014 12:41 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Ok, I'm wrong. On average, flyballs come off the bat much faster than ground balls, but the peak velocities of both types are the same.

So did you just make up "Ground balls do not come off the bat at the same speed as home runs. There's MLB data that backs this up"?

There must have been some basis on which you erroneously made that claim, right?
3/11/2014 12:41 PM
Ok, I'm wrong. On average, flyballs come off the bat much faster than ground balls, but the peak velocities of both types are the same.

You've been wrong on almost everything for the last 20 hours.   Write it off as a bad day and try again tomorrow. 
3/11/2014 12:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 12:43:00 PM (view original):

You've been wrong on almost everything for the last 20 hours.   Write it off as a bad day and try again tomorrow. 
No just wrong on the peak velocity.

Or am I the guy insisting that it's just as hard to play 3rd base in his rec slow pitch softball league as it is to play third base in MLB?
3/11/2014 12:48 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/11/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):

So did you just make up "Ground balls do not come off the bat at the same speed as home runs. There's MLB data that backs this up"?

There must have been some basis on which you erroneously made that claim, right?
Average velocities are different than peaks. I looked at the averages.
3/11/2014 12:49 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/10/2014 8:56:00 PM (view original):
http://www.efastball.com/hitting/average-bat-speed-exit-speed-by-age-group/   And, obviously, baseballs can exceed 120 MPH.   So we're back to where we were. 

That said, I doubt I was hit by a 100 MPH ball and I doubt anyone in your league hits the ball as hard as Pujols in his heyday.
So, if a baseball has to have an exit speed of 90 MPH to travel 300 ft, I wonder what the exit speed would have to be for a softball to travel that far?  You know, with all the extra resistance, less density, etc, etc?
I'd guess that it's still right around 90 mph. Once a softball is moving 90 mph, it's still going to fly almost as far as a baseball.

I think the density comes into play generating the velocity, not once he velocity has been established.

We're way off topic, anyway. I still say it's much harder to play third base in baseball than it is in softball.
We've been way off topic for quite some time.

My point was that people of any skill competing against similarly skilled players do not get hit in the face with a batted ball.    Unless your name is Miggy. 

Nonetheless, considering that we've now determined that exit speeds are the same for ground/fly balls, we now know, if players in my league can hit a softball 300 ft, the exit speed of said batted ball is in excess of 90 MPH.   So you're "I doubt you've seen a GB in your league in excess of 60 MPH exit speed" comment is bullshit.  All that we really have left to determine is whether or not it can maintain it's speed, somewhat, over 65 ft thus making the time to react similar to a baseball with an exit speed of 120 covering 95 ft.  

I can't do that math but I'd guess the time to react is very similar. 
3/11/2014 12:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 12:48:00 PM (view original):

Or am I the guy insisting that it's just as hard to play 3rd base in his rec slow pitch softball league as it is to play third base in MLB?
See my last comment.   Just as hard?   Wouldn't think so.   Similar time to react?  Pretty close. 
3/11/2014 12:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 12:51:00 PM (view original):

See my last comment.   Just as hard?   Wouldn't think so.   Similar time to react?  Pretty close. 
So

ball takes a bad hop and hits you in the chest

not the same as 

ball takes a bad hop and hits Cabrera in the face

Why not?
3/11/2014 12:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 11:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/11/2014 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Wow...comparing your softball games to Miggy and the MLB.  Congrats on the losing the argument.

Can't believe this is still going on....what a joke.
Another ignorant *******.

It really wasn't the point.    I was simply pointing out that people, even those of considerably less athletic ability, can avoid getting hit the face with a batted ball.
I think we all agree that
A) Cabrera is a bad defensive 3rd baseman
B) he's still a crazy good athlete

Knowing that, what do you think is more likely:
X) it was a bad hop/unlucky bounce that could have happened to anyone
Y) Cabrera is so bad at 3rd that even you are better at it than him
How many non-pitchers have been hit in the face with a batted baseball in MLB in the last 10 years?

Just a number, not multiple choice.
If I had to guess, I'd say more than one.
You don't have to guess.   There's a way to look up stuff on the internet.
So you already know the answer? Am I right? Is it more than one?
What's the answer here?
Still waiting for the answer here.

You asked this question 17 times. Was I stupid to assume you had an answer and/or point?
3/11/2014 12:55 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 12:54:00 PM (view original):

So

not the same as 

Why not?
****.   The last thing I want to do is compare that but, without a radar gun to track both batted balls, we both had somewhere between .554 and .738 seconds to react to a bad hop.   I managed to not get hit in the face.  Miggy can't say the same.

Nonetheless, I assume OTHER MLB THIRDBASEMEN have seen bad hops.    Yet they somehow manage to not walk off the field while bleeding from the face.   Because the natural reaction, of any player of any skill playing against similar skilled players, is to get their face out of the way.   And they do.

How many MLB pitchers get bonked in the head each year?  1-3 maybe?    Enough to warrant a study about putting protective headgear on their noggins.    Not enough 3B takes balls to the face for talk of protective facegear.     That, in and of itself, should tell you that it's not a regular occurence.   Because everyone but Miggy can protect his face.
3/11/2014 1:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 12:54:00 PM (view original):

So

not the same as 

Why not?
****.   The last thing I want to do is compare that but, without a radar gun to track both batted balls, we both had somewhere between .554 and .738 seconds to react to a bad hop.   I managed to not get hit in the face.  Miggy can't say the same.

Nonetheless, I assume OTHER MLB THIRDBASEMEN have seen bad hops.    Yet they somehow manage to not walk off the field while bleeding from the face.   Because the natural reaction, of any player of any skill playing against similar skilled players, is to get their face out of the way.   And they do.

How many MLB pitchers get bonked in the head each year?  1-3 maybe?    Enough to warrant a study about putting protective headgear on their noggins.    Not enough 3B takes balls to the face for talk of protective facegear.     That, in and of itself, should tell you that it's not a regular occurence.   Because everyone but Miggy can protect his face.
Would you say that your reaction time is faster or slower than Cabrera's?
3/11/2014 1:07 PM
For his sake, I would hope it's slower but I'm not playing against MLB-quality players either.   Nonetheless, the time it takes a well-struck softball to travel 65 ft is very similar to the time it takes a well-struck baseball to travel 95 feet.   Math sez so.

Anyway, to further my point, you only have to look as far as 3B coaches.   Baseball decided that they didn't have the skillset to protect themselves when professional players hit balls in their direction.   So they wear mandated headgear.   Maybe MLB will incorporate a "Miggy Rule" to cover unskilled players on the hot corner.
3/11/2014 1:14 PM
Anyway, I've been playing stick/ball games for 45+ years.  I've seen 4 non-pitchers get hit in the face.

8-9 y/o kid who was only out there because mommy wanted him to play.
Girl who was likely out there because he boyfriend asked her to play co-ed.
Drunk guy who was out there because he was too drunk to know better.
Miggy.

Again, the natural reaction is to get out of harm's way.  When a ball is coming at your face, most people catch it or move out of the way.   Maybe Miggy never saw it, he might have been drawing in the dirt, or maybe he's just not smart enough to move his face.   But getting hit in the face is not a common occurrence.
3/11/2014 1:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 1:14:00 PM (view original):
For his sake, I would hope it's slower but I'm not playing against MLB-quality players either.   Nonetheless, the time it takes a well-struck softball to travel 65 ft is very similar to the time it takes a well-struck baseball to travel 95 feet.   Math sez so.

Anyway, to further my point, you only have to look as far as 3B coaches.   Baseball decided that they didn't have the skillset to protect themselves when professional players hit balls in their direction.   So they wear mandated headgear.   Maybe MLB will incorporate a "Miggy Rule" to cover unskilled players on the hot corner.
What difference does the level of competition make?

You're saying that, given similar amounts of time to react, you were able to avoid getting hit in the face and Cabrera wasn't. Correct?
3/11/2014 1:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...43|44|45|46|47...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.