Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/26/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/26/2014 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 10:50:00 AM (view original):

When you were in the outfield, and got hit in face, how high was the bad hop from the grounder that traveled 200+ feet before hitting you IN THE FACE, Corky?

It wasn't a grounder.

What do you call balls that bounce a couple of times, Corky?   Face destroyers?

I'd be trying to change the subject, too, if I were you.

It was a line drive. It bounced once just fine but the second hop hit crab grass. I was running full speed. Wasn't anything I could do to avoid it.

I'm not going to pretend that my ability to react is better than MLBers Miguel Cabrera, Aramis Ramirez, Joe Crede, and Gordon Beckham.
So, at your "high level baseball", what do you call balls that hit the ground twice, Corky?
In the outfield, when the 2nd time it bounces, it lands just in front of you? You call that a ground ball?

Can you ask that question again? It's fun.  Or tell me more about your superior reactionary skills.
In mike's world, he has better reactions than Major League players and this is a ground ball:

3/26/2014 11:41 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 11:39:00 AM (view original):

So the ball that hit Miggy wasn't a grounder, Corkyjr?      What is a ball that bounces twice in the outfield called?   Line drive bouncer?   Flyball with hops?

It's a line drive, moron.
3/26/2014 11:42 AM

Would that ball have hit you in the face, Corky?

3/26/2014 11:48 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 11:39:00 AM (view original):

So the ball that hit Miggy wasn't a grounder, Corkyjr?      What is a ball that bounces twice in the outfield called?   Line drive bouncer?   Flyball with hops?

It's a line drive, moron.

When does a line drive become a grounder, Corkyjr?

3/26/2014 11:48 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 11:48:00 AM (view original):

Would that ball have hit you in the face, Corky?

Do you have better reactions than Miguel Cabrera?
3/26/2014 11:53 AM
According to you guys, the ability to not get hit in the face with a ball is Matrix-level ****.  Apparently I, and millions of others, do that better than Miggy.

So, how hard does a ball have to be hit, bounce twice and hit you in the face from 200+ feet away, Corky?
3/26/2014 12:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:01:00 PM (view original):
According to you guys, the ability to not get hit in the face with a ball is Matrix-level ****.  Apparently I, and millions of others, do that better than Miggy.

So, how hard does a ball have to be hit, bounce twice and hit you in the face from 200+ feet away, Corky?
No, you're the only one I know who thinks you react to things better than Miggy.  If I never fell face-first into metal and plastic, busting up my face where I need stitches, do I have a better ability to not fall than Derek Jeter? Using your argument, millions of people do that better than he does.
3/26/2014 12:09 PM

Miguel Cabrera got hit in the face with a ground ball. You didn't. Which is a point you brought up, not anyone else.

One of two conclusions can be drawn from your comparison.

1) You posses reactions fast enough to avoid being hit in the face and Cabrera does not.

or

2) The ball that hit Cabrera in the face was different and/or more difficult to field than any ball you've ever had to field and that the ground ball in question probably would have also hit you in the face, assuming you were able to get your old, fat *** in front of it in the first place.

Side note:
Describe your "19 years" of baseball. Did you start when you were 5? Where were you playing baseball when you were 19? 22? 24?

3/26/2014 12:14 PM
I need to know how hard a ball has to be hit, bounce twice and hit someone at a "high level" in the face 200+ feet away before I answer questions, Corky.

And, of course, the college team that you're currently playing for(which you conveniently ignored).
3/26/2014 12:27 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 12:10:00 PM (view original):

No, you're the only one I know who thinks you react to things better than Miggy.  If I never fell face-first into metal and plastic, busting up my face where I need stitches, do I have a better ability to not fall than Derek Jeter? Using your argument, millions of people do that better than he does.
Not many of us play on fields that are configured in a way that would allow that to occur.  But we are on fields where bad hops occur.   I'm generally surrounded by 8 feet of chainlink fence.   How about you, Corkyjr?
3/26/2014 12:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:27:00 PM (view original):
I need to know how hard a ball has to be hit, bounce twice and hit someone at a "high level" in the face 200+ feet away before I answer questions, Corky.

And, of course, the college team that you're currently playing for(which you conveniently ignored).
I would avoid answering anything if I were you, too.

It's been 17 years since I played one season of college ball as a walk on. I was a back up infielder and hit less than .230 for the season. I wasn't great, relative other college players, but I'm certain I was/am better than you ever were.

I still play baseball every Sunday. I mostly play third and second. I also pitch an inning or two on occasion and fill in at short.
3/26/2014 12:33 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/26/2014 12:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:27:00 PM (view original):

I would avoid answering anything if I were you, too.

It's been 17 years since I played one season of college ball as a walk on. I was a back up infielder and hit less than .230 for the season. I wasn't great, relative other college players, but I'm certain I was/am better than you ever were.

I still play baseball every Sunday. I mostly play third and second. I also pitch an inning or two on occasion and fill in at short.
So, in order to play 19 years, you would probably be playing for an adult league, right?   As for your ability compared to mine, I doubt you have a clue what I can do, have done and will do in the future.   Safe assumption?

Now, if you would, please estimate how hard a ball has to be hit, bounce twice and hit someone at a "high level" in the face 200+ feet away.   Thanks in advance.

3/26/2014 12:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:29:00 PM (view original):

Not many of us play on fields that are configured in a way that would allow that to occur.  But we are on fields where bad hops occur.   I'm generally surrounded by 8 feet of chainlink fence.   How about you, Corkyjr?
Not many of us play enough to be put in a situation where a hard-hit 2 hopper takes a bad chop 5 feet in front of us where the ball is re-directed directly into our faces, either.  In the same way I wouldn't tell you I'm better at avoiding busting my face up catching pop-ups than Derek Jeter, I wouldn't tell you I'm better at reacting to this very specific situation better than Miguel Cabrera.  Do you disagree?
3/26/2014 12:38 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:29:00 PM (view original):

Not many of us play enough to be put in a situation where a hard-hit 2 hopper takes a bad chop 5 feet in front of us where the ball is re-directed directly into our faces, either.  In the same way I wouldn't tell you I'm better at avoiding busting my face up catching pop-ups than Derek Jeter, I wouldn't tell you I'm better at reacting to this very specific situation better than Miguel Cabrera.  Do you disagree?
I'm going to direct you to about 15 pages ago when we were discussing exit speeds and the difference between being 60 ft and 90 ft away from a batter.  There's a lot of info in there on how hard a ball has to be hit to travel in excess of 300 ft, the difference between softball/baseball and quite a few other things.   Read up on that and get back to me.
3/26/2014 12:44 PM
"As for your ability compared to mine, I doubt you have a clue what I can do, have done and will do in the future."

Which is why I asked. Right now, it seems safe to assume that you never played baseball very well. You probably grew up in a small town, somewhere in the east where it doesn't warm up enough to play baseball until mid-April. There were probably 600 students at your high school, roughly 300 boys, so not much competition to make the varsity team. Where you'd spend the season playing other teams from similar towns with similar demographics, struggling to hit 63 mph fastballs.

On the other hand, I grew up in a very large suburb of the second biggest city in the country. Where the weather is warm enough to play baseball year round. There were 3000 students at my high school, roughly 1500 of them boys. Competition to make the varsity team was extreme and we played all season against teams from school that were similar in size. Most pitchers on our team and on the teams we faced threw in the 80s and some hit 90.

3/26/2014 12:51 PM
◂ Prev 1...60|61|62|63|64...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.