MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 5/29/2014 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/29/2014 11:05:00 AM (view original):
If it's something you can handle and/or are looking for, crush it.    If it's not, just try to get a piece of it.

WOW!!   That's an outrageous request for one of the 400ish best position players in baseball.   Outlandish!!!!!!
Why do you think ballplayers aren't trying to do that?

Do you watch baseball?

A guy swinging from his heels on a ball knee high and 3 inches off the plate sure as **** isn't trying to do that.

Have you ever seen one of those 13 pitch AB where the guy is just slapping a pitches that he probably shouldn't even swing at but is because he has two strikes?

5/29/2014 11:15 AM
Posted by The Taint on 5/29/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/29/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
There are guys who probably should do a better job of making contact.  Austin Jackson shouldn't be striking out as much as he does.  When I watch Yankee games, it astounds me the amount of times Brett Gardner strikes out.  His lack of contact in a lot of instances is silly.  But power hitters? They strike out a lot because it makes sense for them to swing hard and try to drive the ball.  To ask them to adjust their swing somewhat to simply make contact, in most instances, would not be bright.
Ted Williams would disagree with you. Not too sure what else to say.

Hitting Advice
by Ted Williams

# Hitting Advice
1. Hit only strikes.
2. Never swing at a ball you're fooled on or have trouble hitting.
3. After two strikes, concede the long ball to the pitcher; shorten up on the bat and try to put the head of the bat on the ball.
WTF does this Ted Williams guy know about hitting?
5/29/2014 11:15 AM
True that. He's never played with a slide rule and computer.
5/29/2014 11:17 AM
Posted by The Taint on 5/29/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/29/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
There are guys who probably should do a better job of making contact.  Austin Jackson shouldn't be striking out as much as he does.  When I watch Yankee games, it astounds me the amount of times Brett Gardner strikes out.  His lack of contact in a lot of instances is silly.  But power hitters? They strike out a lot because it makes sense for them to swing hard and try to drive the ball.  To ask them to adjust their swing somewhat to simply make contact, in most instances, would not be bright.
Ted Williams would disagree with you. Not too sure what else to say.

Hitting Advice
by Ted Williams

# Hitting Advice
1. Hit only strikes.
2. Never swing at a ball you're fooled on or have trouble hitting.
3. After two strikes, concede the long ball to the pitcher; shorten up on the bat and try to put the head of the bat on the ball.
There are a lot of players who swing for an extra base hit on 2 strikes who probably shouldn't be.  Brett Gardner, Austin Jackson, etc.  There are guys who should change their approach on 2 strikes at least a little bit, and it seems like they don't.  I don't agree that all players should do what Ted Williams is suggesting here at #3.  Power hitters shouldn't become slap hitters on 2 strikes.
5/29/2014 11:19 AM
Well I'm sure you know more than Ted.
5/29/2014 11:20 AM
I mean ****, he only hit 521 hr's, what does he know about power hitting? GTFO
5/29/2014 11:21 AM

Ted sez "Swing hard at everything!  It got me off the streets!!"
5/29/2014 11:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/29/2014 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/29/2014 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/29/2014 11:05:00 AM (view original):
If it's something you can handle and/or are looking for, crush it.    If it's not, just try to get a piece of it.

WOW!!   That's an outrageous request for one of the 400ish best position players in baseball.   Outlandish!!!!!!
Why do you think ballplayers aren't trying to do that?

Do you watch baseball?

A guy swinging from his heels on a ball knee high and 3 inches off the plate sure as **** isn't trying to do that.

Have you ever seen one of those 13 pitch AB where the guy is just slapping a pitches that he probably shouldn't even swing at but is because he has two strikes?

Yes.

I agree. EDIT: He probably doesn't think the ball is something he can't hit hard.

Yes.

We went from "guy who strikes out 100 times would do a lot better if he made sure that he got 0 Ks" (which is probably wrong) to "guys should crush balls they think they can and just get a piece of the ones they don't."  Yea, duh.

Do you think that Soriano is swinging hard at balls that he thinks he can't hit hard?  Why is he doing that? 
5/29/2014 11:25 AM (edited)
Posted by The Taint on 5/29/2014 11:21:00 AM (view original):
I mean ****, he only hit 521 hr's, what does he know about power hitting? GTFO
I'm sure none of them were with 2 strikes.
5/29/2014 11:23 AM
Ted Williams just told you that you were wrong. Just walk away now.
5/29/2014 11:26 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/29/2014 10:23:00 AM (view original):
So, you want the batter to ensure contact on 2 strikes. But you also want the batter to go from that mindset to recognizing that the pitcher has thrown a pitch that he 100% will not miss if he swings hard (because that exists).  Do I have that right? You basically want the batter to only realize that he needs to make contact and put the ball in play on balls that he's about to strike out on, because he'll have the foresight to recognize that that's what's about to happen.
Many players can recognize a fat pinch and change their approach.    I have seen Cabrera, Pujols, Trout do it.  Going back further: Ordonez,.  Pretty much any hitter that has a above average batting average can change their approach, not only based upon the situation, but, the pitcher, and the pitch.
5/29/2014 11:26 AM
Posted by The Taint on 5/29/2014 11:26:00 AM (view original):
And I'm sure the guy who said "concede the long-ball to the pitcher on 2 strikes" actually had no long balls with 2 strikes.  Yup.
5/29/2014 11:29 AM
Posted by bfkfraser on 5/29/2014 11:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/29/2014 10:23:00 AM (view original):
So, you want the batter to ensure contact on 2 strikes. But you also want the batter to go from that mindset to recognizing that the pitcher has thrown a pitch that he 100% will not miss if he swings hard (because that exists).  Do I have that right? You basically want the batter to only realize that he needs to make contact and put the ball in play on balls that he's about to strike out on, because he'll have the foresight to recognize that that's what's about to happen.
Many players can recognize a fat pinch and change their approach.    I have seen Cabrera, Pujols, Trout do it.  Going back further: Ordonez,.  Pretty much any hitter that has a above average batting average can change their approach, not only based upon the situation, but, the pitcher, and the pitch.
I've never seen anyone take the approach of "I cannot strike out on this pitch no matter what; I need to guarantee putting the ball in play" to "oh, I'm going to hit that 400 feet."
5/29/2014 11:30 AM
You're wrong, just admit it.
5/29/2014 11:31 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/29/2014 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 5/29/2014 11:26:00 AM (view original):
And I'm sure the guy who said "concede the long-ball to the pitcher on 2 strikes" actually had no long balls with 2 strikes.  Yup.
You cannot be serious here, can you?
5/29/2014 11:31 AM
◂ Prev 1...36|37|38|39|40...49 Next ▸
MLB: a bag of a**holes. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.