Little League World Series Topic

Taking my kids to it next weekend.  Anybody here ever gone to it?  Any tips or advice?
8/9/2014 10:06 PM
In Taylor, Mi. ???
8/9/2014 11:43 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 8/9/2014 11:43:00 PM (view original):
In Taylor, Mi. ???
No.  Williamsport, PA.  Little League.
8/10/2014 7:29 AM
rsp = not the sharpest pencil in the drawer
8/10/2014 8:24 AM
That'll be cool.  Have fun!  I was surprised to learn recently that the diamond in Williamsport is a lot smaller than I thought it was. Bases are only 60' feet apart, mound is 46' from the plate.  My 9 yr. olds play with a 46' mound and 65' between bases.  I think 12/13 yrs olds here in St. Louis generally use 50'/54' mound distance and 70'/80' between bases.
8/10/2014 9:30 AM
Posted by trsnoke on 8/10/2014 9:30:00 AM (view original):
That'll be cool.  Have fun!  I was surprised to learn recently that the diamond in Williamsport is a lot smaller than I thought it was. Bases are only 60' feet apart, mound is 46' from the plate.  My 9 yr. olds play with a 46' mound and 65' between bases.  I think 12/13 yrs olds here in St. Louis generally use 50'/54' mound distance and 70'/80' between bases.
It all depends on what sanctioning body they have. baseball between 12-14 is a mess because there are so many groups trying to get a piece of the pie...

In other LL related news, how long before they file a lawsuit to get a piece of the pie from ESPN money like the NCAA athletes.
8/11/2014 9:25 AM
Got back from three days at the LLWS yesterday, and it was well worth the trip.  A very fun experience.  If you have kids who play Little League and have the opportunity to go, you should do it.

Here's some general experiences and tips for anybody who wants to attend in the future:

1)  There is no admission to the complex or to the stadiums for games.  But it is very crowded, at least the days we went (first Friday - Sunday, or days 2-4 or the Series).  If you want to sit in the Stadiums for games, you need to get there and get in line early.  They're supposed to start letting people into the stadiums an hour before the game is scheduled to start, but we noticed that they were sometimes allowing people in earlier than that.  If you can't get into the stadium itself, you can always watch from the behind the outfield.

2)  There are two stadiums in the complex where games are played.  The International games, at least for the first 4-5 days, are held in the smaller stadium (Volunteer).  Plenty of seats, but there is limited places to watch from beyond the outfield.  There is a small hill behind right field, but it is very narrow and cannot hold many people.

3)  The US games, and most games towards the end of the tournament are held in the larger stadium, Lamade.  But there is plenty of seating on the hills behind the outfield fences.  There are two "tiers" of hills, but a big portion of the upper tier is "reserved" for the kids who slide down on cardboard.

4)  If you're going to sit on the hill, you'll want to bring either a blanket to sit on, or plastic chairs with the back legs cut down (by maybe 8 inches or so).  The hill can be a little steep in some areas, so if you're sitting on a blanket, be prepared to slide a little.  

5)  Parking was not a problem, as pretty much all of the surrounding homes and businesses will let you park in their yards/lots for $5.  Getting in and out was very easy.

6)  Traffic was iffy getting to the complex.  We were coming from the south on Route 15, and it would back up for around 2 miles before the complex.  Not really completely stopped, but slow and steady movement.  One BIG caveat to that: if Pennsylvania's team is in the tournament, all bets are off with regards to crowd size and traffic.  Expect 2x-3x as many people.  Our estimated 45 minute drive to Williamsport took an hour and 45 minutes the day we went when PA was playing.

7)  The prices at the gift shop and concession stands were very reasonable.  They were not price gouging for souvenirs (shirts, hats, etc) or food.  The only exception was drinks.  $3 for a bottle of Gatorade or 20 oz soda, or $2.25 for a 20 oz. water was pricey.

8/19/2014 12:06 PM
Good to know.  Would like to head up there one year.  Thanks tec.
8/19/2014 12:46 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 8/19/2014 12:46:00 PM (view original):
Because you like young boys, 05michaeljackson05?
8/19/2014 1:36 PM
Complaining about $3 for Gatorade and $2.25 for water?

When was the last time you went to a MLB game, or a concert, or a movie theater?
8/19/2014 1:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/19/2014 1:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 8/19/2014 12:46:00 PM (view original):
Because you like young boys, 05michaeljackson05?
Obsessed much?  Haha!  Thanks for clogging up another thread.  What good are you to this community? 

Anyways, thanks again for the info Tec.  Glad you had a good time.
8/19/2014 1:51 PM
Did I teach you a new word?  You're welcome!!!
8/19/2014 1:59 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 8/19/2014 1:47:00 PM (view original):

When was the last time you went to a MLB game, or a concert, or a movie theater?
Read my post again.

Merchandise and all other food items were reasonably priced.  Liquids were overpriced, relative to everything else.
8/19/2014 3:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/19/2014 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 8/19/2014 1:47:00 PM (view original):

Read my post again.

Merchandise and all other food items were reasonably priced.  Liquids were overpriced, relative to everything else.
anyone have an industrial grade corkscrew?  cuz, this guys gonna need one for all that WHINE.  amiright?  huh? huh?  yeah.  
8/20/2014 1:28 PM
Little League World Series Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.