Fixing baseball Topic

I thought about the warmup pitches - but I'm sure baseball likes its current commercial setup.  $$$$$$$$
8/15/2014 2:57 PM
They need more day games.  Why do you think there are SO many Cubs fans in their mid 30's.  Because they grew up watching the games on WGN after school.

Also, they need to figure out how to speed up games.  If that means, making guys have shorter times between pitches, less crazy pulling on batting gloves and other rituals while at bat.  Speed up guys on home runs...shorter between innings.
8/15/2014 3:38 PM
Baseball's fine, don't worry about it.

FWIW, one of the talking heads was talking about Selig discussing dwindling interest and his seeking solutions.   He spoke to Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, Al Kaline, etc, etc.   Every name mentioned belonged to some dude collecting social security.    Old white guy solutions.
8/15/2014 4:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/15/2014 4:06:00 PM (view original):
Baseball's fine, don't worry about it.

FWIW, one of the talking heads was talking about Selig discussing dwindling interest and his seeking solutions.   He spoke to Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, Al Kaline, etc, etc.   Every name mentioned belonged to some dude collecting social security.    Old white guy solutions.
How old are you?
8/15/2014 4:12 PM
Posted by mfahie on 8/15/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
I like speeding up the pitches. I also hate how long pitching changes take. How about they get in there, throw like 3 warmup pitches and go. They don't need so much time!

And with nobody on, with 12 seconds to work with, you can still affect rhythm. Throw a pitch 2 seconds after you get the ball. Then wait 10. Then throw it 6 seconds later. Less time to think, just make him swing the bat. The fact that the commentators can often talk for an entire minute between pitches is the worst part of modern baseball.

If you think you can just step on a new mound for the first time (which is very much the case in MLB; they rework the mounds between every game for upkeep), throw 3 pitches, and be ready to go, you've obviously never pitched.
8/15/2014 5:25 PM

Old white guy reasoning.  

Every suggestion is met with "Oh, they can't do THAT!!!"

I could argue that the batter's "routine" being stopped will negatively affect what he does.    

8/15/2014 5:35 PM
"WE WALKED 6 MILES, UPHILL, IN THE SNOW JUST TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!  AND WE LIKED IT!!!!!!!!!"
8/15/2014 5:45 PM
Pretty much. I recall when the NFL banned do-rags and bandanas. Players like Ray Lewis complained because his helmet wouldn't fit right (or something like that). He seemed to well after the change.
8/15/2014 5:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/15/2014 5:45:00 PM (view original):
"WE WALKED 6 MILES, UPHILL, IN THE SNOW JUST TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!  AND WE LIKED IT!!!!!!!!!"

"IN THE SAME PAIR OF SNEAKERS"!

8/15/2014 5:56 PM

What can't happen is putting player health at risk in order to speed up the game.   No one is harmed by staying in the box or throwing a pitch in 15 seconds instead of 22.    Pitchers may need time to acclimate themselves to the new mound.   So how do you shorten the time between pitching changes?   I'd suggest putting it squarely on the manager.   They tell the SS to talk to the pitcher, they tell the pitcher to throw to first, they make a slow stroll to the mound and talk to the pitcher for two minutes before calling for the RP.   I don't know how long a pitching change takes but, if you forced the manager to shorten the time between the last pitch to the previous batter and the first pitch to the next batter, meaning HE needs to make sure his pitcher is ready, save getting the mound in order, when he arrives that would help.

8/15/2014 6:17 PM
Bring back the bullpen car!

8/15/2014 10:48 PM
Or maybe all relief pitchers will make a mad dash to the mound like Rocker did.
8/16/2014 7:20 AM
Obviously, the game is slowed down some by pitchers taking too long in between each pitch, and batters stepping out of the box.  Those are obvious reasons, but I think the specialized pitching is what really impacts it.  Managers will make 4-5 pitching changes from the 6th inning on sometimes, and if both teams are doing that....adds a lot of time to each game.

8/16/2014 12:08 PM
Easiest way to minimize batters delaying is to ban batting gloves, elbow pads, and foul-ball guards. If you're not wearing it in the field, you can't bring it into the batter's box (aside from helmets). If you don't have to re-strap and re-tighten every single contraption between pitches, you don't have an excuse to step out of the box and fiddle around.

Who was the first hitter to wear gloves?
8/16/2014 12:35 PM
Posted by winner77 on 8/16/2014 12:08:00 PM (view original):
Obviously, the game is slowed down some by pitchers taking too long in between each pitch, and batters stepping out of the box.  Those are obvious reasons, but I think the specialized pitching is what really impacts it.  Managers will make 4-5 pitching changes from the 6th inning on sometimes, and if both teams are doing that....adds a lot of time to each game.

I feel uncomfortable telling a manager he can't make substitutions when he wants to try to win a game.  
8/16/2014 12:54 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Fixing baseball Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.