Mike Trout Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 2/26/2015 11:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 2/26/2015 12:02:00 AM (view original):
Want to bet that less strikeouts equals out to more wins? 100 bucks.
Still want to make that bet?
First, here is an example of a stat with a strong correlation. This is team OBP to team runs scored per game:

I used every team season since 1920. Just over 2000 team seasons.
2/26/2015 11:46 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/26/2015 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 11:10:00 AM (view original):
If a player bats .250 with 15 homers, and the next year bats .280 with 20 homers, does he have to say "I don't know if I was more productive, let me compare myself to the rest of the league in both seasons, and then I'll let you know?"

Trout did not have as good of a season as he did the year before, based on batting average, obp, ops, and others, and he thinks that because he missed a lot of fastballs up in the zone last year. He's probably right. If you told him "No! You were just as good because the rest of the league didn't hit as well!" he'd think there's something wrong with you.
Comparing to league, or historical, averages is what "advanced metrics" is all about.

Should a guy hitting 48 homers today think he's not a very good power hitter because Bonds, McGwire, Sosa were smacking 60 with regularity?
Is it what it's all about? Oh.

I would think he's just as productive as he was. He hit 48 homers in 2014. If he hit 48 homers in 1998, he wouldn't call himself "less productive." There isn't anything to "fix."  

Trout struck out more than he has been, and some of his stats suffered.  If you want to argue that all the pitchers got smarter at dealing with hitters overall, and that's why his OPS+ didn't change much, ok, I guess. Pitchers getting smarter does apply to Trout. The pitchers pitched him better, and he struck out more. He's trying to get better to get back to his productivity he had in previous years.  If all the hitters got worse last year, they still all got worse, they were all less productive.
Yeah, it sort of is. 

A guy is called up in September and hits 12 homers in 100 AB.    A guy plays all season, gets 487 AB, and hits 14 homers.   Who was the better power hitter?    Advanced metrics are an attempt to measure production outside of the "counting" numbers.  Like strikeouts.

Advanced metrics, OPS+ and oWAR, say Trout was equally productive in 2014 despite the whiffs.   Trout believes he could wasn't as productive as he could have been because of all the strikeouts.   I guess both could be true but Trout believes he needs to put more balls in play.   My guess he's going to do this by cutting down on his swing in certain situations.
2/26/2015 11:52 AM
This is a stat with zero correlation (ignore the zeros at the bottom, the stat wasn't kept for years).
2/26/2015 11:53 AM
And here is k per game to wins. No correlation at all.

2/26/2015 11:55 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/26/2015 11:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/26/2015 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 11:10:00 AM (view original):
If a player bats .250 with 15 homers, and the next year bats .280 with 20 homers, does he have to say "I don't know if I was more productive, let me compare myself to the rest of the league in both seasons, and then I'll let you know?"

Trout did not have as good of a season as he did the year before, based on batting average, obp, ops, and others, and he thinks that because he missed a lot of fastballs up in the zone last year. He's probably right. If you told him "No! You were just as good because the rest of the league didn't hit as well!" he'd think there's something wrong with you.
Comparing to league, or historical, averages is what "advanced metrics" is all about.

Should a guy hitting 48 homers today think he's not a very good power hitter because Bonds, McGwire, Sosa were smacking 60 with regularity?
Is it what it's all about? Oh.

I would think he's just as productive as he was. He hit 48 homers in 2014. If he hit 48 homers in 1998, he wouldn't call himself "less productive." There isn't anything to "fix."  

Trout struck out more than he has been, and some of his stats suffered.  If you want to argue that all the pitchers got smarter at dealing with hitters overall, and that's why his OPS+ didn't change much, ok, I guess. Pitchers getting smarter does apply to Trout. The pitchers pitched him better, and he struck out more. He's trying to get better to get back to his productivity he had in previous years.  If all the hitters got worse last year, they still all got worse, they were all less productive.
Yeah, it sort of is. 

A guy is called up in September and hits 12 homers in 100 AB.    A guy plays all season, gets 487 AB, and hits 14 homers.   Who was the better power hitter?    Advanced metrics are an attempt to measure production outside of the "counting" numbers.  Like strikeouts.

Advanced metrics, OPS+ and oWAR, say Trout was equally productive in 2014 despite the whiffs.   Trout believes he could wasn't as productive as he could have been because of all the strikeouts.   I guess both could be true but Trout believes he needs to put more balls in play.   My guess he's going to do this by cutting down on his swing in certain situations.
The first guy hits home runs at a higher rate, and is likely a better power hitter.  I don't know what that has to do with "league, or historical, averages." 

Trout struck out on more pitches up in the zone last year than 2012 and 2013. He wants to cut down on that. He'll be a better hitter if he can lay off more pitches than he already does that are balls, and maybe fouling off more pitches in the zone with 2 strikes. At no point is he saying "everyone else in the league took a small step back too, so relative to them, I'm just the way I've always been." He's comparing what he's actually done at the plate to previous years. You're trying to have a "see! advanced stats suck!" moment but it doesn't apply. If you're asking me "who was the best player in baseball last year" I'd probably say Trout, but that's not the point here. We're not comparing Trout to others. Well, you want to, but it doesn't make a ton of sense.
2/26/2015 12:07 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/26/2015 11:55:00 AM (view original):

Is it possible that in the last decade or so, there is a small correlation? Which would prove Taint's point when he shows you the wins totals?

I do agree that hitters recently have become worse at hitting with 2 strikes.
2/26/2015 12:08 PM
Did they "take a step back" or was pitching just better?

As for the homer comparison, you seem to be having a problem with "counting" and "averages".  I was trying to illustrate a point in simple terms to help you out.
2/26/2015 12:10 PM
FWIW, the advanced metrics (even the ones that compare him to league average or replacement) show that 2013 Trout was better than 2014 Trout.
2/26/2015 12:11 PM
You said advanced metrics were all about historical averages or some ****. I said "Are they?" Because they aren't.

Maybe the pitching WAS better overall, and Trout is saying he needs to get better because he wasn't as productive. If every hitter is less productive than they were in previous years, they were still less productive. Relative to each other? Maybe they're the same, but Trout doesn't seem concerned with comparing himself to every other player in the league right now. He's trying to cut down on his strikeouts and get on base more often, like he had in the past.
2/26/2015 12:12 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/26/2015 12:11:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, the advanced metrics (even the ones that compare him to league average or replacement) show that 2013 Trout was better than 2014 Trout.
Yes, I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt because it's so minimal.
2/26/2015 12:14 PM
Oh, 2013 to 2014. I'm using a 2012-13 and comparing to 2014. It doesn't matter.
2/26/2015 12:16 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 12:13:00 PM (view original):
You said advanced metrics were all about historical averages or some ****. I said "Are they?" Because they aren't.

Maybe the pitching WAS better overall, and Trout is saying he needs to get better because he wasn't as productive. If every hitter is less productive than they were in previous years, they were still less productive. Relative to each other? Maybe they're the same, but Trout doesn't seem concerned with comparing himself to every other player in the league right now. He's trying to cut down on his strikeouts and get on base more often, like he had in the past.
Yeah, they try to compare players from eras, or the same season, using one number.    Otherwise, no one would add a + to OPS.   The + means how much better he was than average based on any number of conditions(parks, pitching, other's production, etc, etc).    WAR is supposed to represent how much more value the player brings to a team based on the production of a replacement player.

What do you think OPS+ and WAR do?

2/26/2015 12:18 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Sez the guy who claims 2.5 WAR and 1.8 WAR are essentially the same.

Make up your mind, you annoying ****. 

Directed at BL, obviously.
2/26/2015 12:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/26/2015 12:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Sez the guy who claims 2.5 WAR and 1.8 WAR are essentially the same.

Make up your mind, you annoying ****. 

Directed at BL, obviously.
Do you think that 2014 Trout was just as good as 2013 Trout?
2/26/2015 12:22 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/26/2015 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 2/26/2015 11:55:00 AM (view original):

Is it possible that in the last decade or so, there is a small correlation? Which would prove Taint's point when he shows you the wins totals?

I do agree that hitters recently have become worse at hitting with 2 strikes.
There isn't. My PDF printer is bugging out on me right now but in a few minutes I'll post the 2004-2014 chart. It's pretty similar to this. No correlation.
2/26/2015 12:23 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...65 Next ▸
Mike Trout Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.