BUH-BYE BRADY BUNCH Topic

Posted by The Taint on 9/22/2014 1:04:00 AM (view original):
Best stat of the game:

All points scored by 'kowskis. Go poles.
Saw that too.  Good stuff.

Speaking of skis....SeaBass looks like he just crawled out of bed, hung over and lit a cig, then just went out and kicked a few FG's.
9/22/2014 12:13 PM
Posted by The Taint on 9/22/2014 12:55:00 AM (view original):
If you call grabbing a receiver's arm as they are running by you a let us make it up to you call, then yeah.
It was a non call at best.  Looked more like it could have been offensive PI.  That said, it shouldn't have been a whistle at all.
9/22/2014 12:14 PM
I get being a homer but seriously?   NE DB tackled the OAK WR.    Now, if you argued that it wasn't a catchable ball, you might have a point. 
9/22/2014 1:40 PM
I think we're all in agreement that the refereeing has gotten WORSE this year.  Perhaps it's all the "point of emphasis" bullshit from the league office, but there are gross inconsistencies in enforcement of rules and quality of officiating.  

Case in point: The INT that Peyton threw with two minutes to go where Welker got blown-up despite the ball being picked off five yards earlier.  Apparently, Seattle is allowed to hit defenseless receivers five yards away from the ball with impunity.  Meanwhile, Larry Fitzgerald gets hit in the ribs coming down WITH THE BALL, and the 49ers get called for unnecessary roughness.  Either you can hit the "defenseless receiver" or you can't.
9/22/2014 2:22 PM

Welker was being punished for leaving the house dressed like this:

9/22/2014 2:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/22/2014 1:40:00 PM (view original):
I get being a homer but seriously?   NE DB tackled the OAK WR.    Now, if you argued that it wasn't a catchable ball, you might have a point. 
are you being serious? I get that debating calls with invested fans is a waste of time because most see most plays the way the want...but what I saw was the WR grab hold of the DB and throw him to the ground.....
9/23/2014 12:22 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by edsortails on 9/23/2014 12:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/22/2014 1:40:00 PM (view original):
are you being serious? I get that debating calls with invested fans is a waste of time because most see most plays the way the want...but what I saw was the WR grab hold of the DB and throw him to the ground.....
As a fan with ZERO expectations, I was just happy the Raiders weren't down 37-3.   I had no expectations of a win.   That said, the DB initiated the contact and prevented the WR from getting past him.   There was additional contact after that but the DB made the right play.   He was getting beat.   Take the interference call and get another play.   I would not have thrown a fit if no flag was thrown but I think that is a by-product of my low expectations. 
9/23/2014 9:05 AM
Posted by The Taint on 9/23/2014 12:32:00 AM (view original):
You saw the DB grab the WR's arm as he was going by him and the WR pull his arm away causing the DB to stumble and fall.
Funny...Pats fans saw one thing and Raider fans saw another...shocker.

Refs suck.  Bring back the replacement refs!
9/23/2014 10:06 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 9/22/2014 2:22:00 PM (view original):
I think we're all in agreement that the refereeing has gotten WORSE this year.  Perhaps it's all the "point of emphasis" bullshit from the league office, but there are gross inconsistencies in enforcement of rules and quality of officiating.  

Case in point: The INT that Peyton threw with two minutes to go where Welker got blown-up despite the ball being picked off five yards earlier.  Apparently, Seattle is allowed to hit defenseless receivers five yards away from the ball with impunity.  Meanwhile, Larry Fitzgerald gets hit in the ribs coming down WITH THE BALL, and the 49ers get called for unnecessary roughness.  Either you can hit the "defenseless receiver" or you can't.
You can argue that the hit on Welker was a block, since the ball was picked.  When possession changes, he is no longer a receiver, defenseless or otherwise.  I'm willing to bet that, if the throw was just air-mailed over his head and incomplete, they throw the flag there.
9/23/2014 10:31 AM
Everyone can see it.

To be honest, 26's left arm wasn't as deep in there as I thought.   That's pretty much what I saw, at the time, and why I wouldn't have complained if no flag was thrown. 26 was definitely pushing but 18 was doing his fair share. 
9/23/2014 10:43 AM
What I thought I saw was 26 holding Holmes' left arm and pulling him back while pushing him towards the sideline with his body.    Watching that over and over and over again, I can't be sure Holmes didn't put him arm in there to push away thus leading to the holding.    26 is definitely getting his body in there to push Holmes out of bounds.  But he's looking back at the ball.
9/23/2014 10:48 AM
Posted by examinerebb on 9/23/2014 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 9/22/2014 2:22:00 PM (view original):

You can argue that the hit on Welker was a block, since the ball was picked.  When possession changes, he is no longer a receiver, defenseless or otherwise.  I'm willing to bet that, if the throw was just air-mailed over his head and incomplete, they throw the flag there.
If the INT is considered complete, it's a blindside block.  The league is apparently saying it falls into a grey area in the rules since Welker wasn't really in the act of attempting to catch the ball, but the INT was not complete either.

Personally, looking at the replay, I think the refs in the area all kept their eyes on where the ball ways and no one got a good a look at it.

9/23/2014 11:22 AM (edited)
The ref is funny in that gif.    Looks like he's leaning back and saying "Whooaaa!!! What we got here?!??!"
9/23/2014 11:20 AM
I'm not saying the Welker hit was dirty or bad or illegal.  I'm just saying that it was much worse than other hits that were deemed "flaggable", and the inconsistency is making the league look weak and stupid.  

I say we go back to the 70's and 80's when Jack Tatum and George Atkinson and Ronnie Lott and Kenny Easley were dismantling receivers, and if players don't want concussions, they can play tiddly-winks or Jenga.  In other words, let the NFL be more like Rollerball (the first one, not the horrible version with LL Cool J) and less like ballroom dancing.
9/23/2014 11:25 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...23 Next ▸
BUH-BYE BRADY BUNCH Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.