Makes me sick... Topic

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000135592/Ravens-stop-49ers-on-fourth-down-goal-line-stand

Ball landed a couple of feet out of bounds, coming in on a high arc.  It would have had to have been a toes inside the sideline catch, no easy play.

You call interference on that play, the 49ers have a fresh set of downs with plenty of time left on the clock from the one yeard line.

I don't think the refs took the catchability of the ball into consideration when they make the non-call.  But if they did call interference on that play, it's much more of an injustice than the non-call.

And for the record: I wanted the 49ers to win.
2/4/2013 9:15 AM
Watching the play again, that was his only option was to lob it up.  Ravens sent 7, and he was hit after he let it go.  Maybe a run up the middle, if blocked correctly, would have worked, since once you're by the rush, it's an easy score.  A slant to Crabtree wouldnt have worked, as Reed was there inside.  I don't know what the receivers to the left were running, but if the slot receiver managed to cut something inside and get open...i dunno...either way, at least 1 guy went in untouched.  Not much time to do anything.
2/4/2013 9:23 AM
Looked like the inside guys ran hooks.   Not sure what the left outside WR was running but he didn't have enough room to run a fade.

I'm not 100% certain that Crabtree was running a fade.   That might have been a hot read by CK.   He couldn't throw inside.
2/4/2013 9:34 AM
For the second time, please remember that a call of defensive holding does not require the ball to be catchable or even thrown in the direction of that receiver. The area holding is allowed is five yards, but he's clearly held beyond that.
2/4/2013 10:07 AM
At that point of the game, you don't want a Championship decided on a technicality.

With respect to the play in question, a non-call does not affect the most likely outcome of the game, where a holding call does.
2/4/2013 10:18 AM
Oh, no, I'd much rather a championship be decided by a referee's blown call than the technicality of him making a correct call.

The call was blatantly obvious. To not call it is a travesty close to the end of the Seahawks Packers game earlier this season.

The referee's job is also not to determine the most likely outcome of the game and make calls to ensure it happens. In fact, that would be completely wrong. The referee is supposed to call the infractions he sees, and if he couldn't see that one, he needs to go join the replacement officials because he's terrible at his job.

2/4/2013 10:25 AM
It should have been called. But play calling was horrible. 1st and goal on the 7, in the Superbowl, with the game on the line. Any coach should have some new, sure fire plays in his back pocket for that situation. The 49ers play calling there was weak. It wasn't even a great defensive stand by the Ravens.

Another thing I haven't heard mentioned is that final kick. The returner broke 3 tackles and was on his *** before even trying to lateral. You can't come up with a better special teams play?
2/4/2013 10:31 AM
Missed call on helmet to helmet that nobody is talking about.  He might end up getting fined.  Go to :09 seconds (terrible quality, but its the first one i found)

www.youtube.com/watch
2/4/2013 10:34 AM
Posted by bistiza on 2/4/2013 10:25:00 AM (view original):
Oh, no, I'd much rather a championship be decided by a referee's blown call than the technicality of him making a correct call.

The call was blatantly obvious. To not call it is a travesty close to the end of the Seahawks Packers game earlier this season.

The referee's job is also not to determine the most likely outcome of the game and make calls to ensure it happens. In fact, that would be completely wrong. The referee is supposed to call the infractions he sees, and if he couldn't see that one, he needs to go join the replacement officials because he's terrible at his job.

so you are cool with Crabtree's hand in the facemask of Smith and his pushing off.  When both players are hand fighting, the ref should never call a penalty on either side. That is what this was, mutual hand fighting. Good non-call.
2/4/2013 10:38 AM
Posted by moranis on 2/4/2013 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 2/4/2013 10:25:00 AM (view original):

so you are cool with Crabtree's hand in the facemask of Smith and his pushing off.  When both players are hand fighting, the ref should never call a penalty on either side. That is what this was, mutual hand fighting. Good non-call.
Biz doesn't like opposing viewpoints to his opinions.  Prepare to be flamed.
2/4/2013 10:41 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/4/2013 10:34:00 AM (view original):
Missed call on helmet to helmet that nobody is talking about.  He might end up getting fined.  Go to :09 seconds (terrible quality, but its the first one i found)

www.youtube.com/watch
he wasn't a defenseless receiver at that point, which means that they aren't going to call that pretty much ever.
2/4/2013 10:42 AM
Posted by moranis on 2/4/2013 10:42:00 AM (view original):

www.youtube.com/watch
he wasn't a defenseless receiver at that point, which means that they aren't going to call that pretty much ever.
I guess I'd ask "what makes a defenseless receiver?" He's in the process of trying to catch the football.  
2/4/2013 10:43 AM

Mutual hand fighting isn't what this was - it was a mugging of the receiver.

You've got things backward.

People don't like to have me challenge their viewpoints because I do so with both great ability and a tenacity that makes it frustrating to argue or debate with me. I, on the other hand, do not mind opposing viewpoints because it gives me a chance to state my own.

As for flaming, that would be personal attacks, and I don't do those - but many other people on here do.
2/4/2013 11:04 AM
Posted by bistiza on 2/4/2013 11:04:00 AM (view original):

Mutual hand fighting isn't what this was - it was a mugging of the receiver.

You've got things backward.

People don't like to have me challenge their viewpoints because I do so with both great ability and a tenacity that makes it frustrating to argue or debate with me. I, on the other hand, do not mind opposing viewpoints because it gives me a chance to state my own.

As for flaming, that would be personal attacks, and I don't do those - but many other people on here do.
Actually, you don't.  You never post an stats.  You don't look at anything (videos that prove you wrong) from anyone else.

All you go by is what YOU "see".
2/4/2013 11:09 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/4/2013 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 2/4/2013 10:42:00 AM (view original):

www.youtube.com/watch
I guess I'd ask "what makes a defenseless receiver?" He's in the process of trying to catch the football.  
not when he was hit, he had taken two steps and the ball was already well past him. 
2/4/2013 11:11 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.