Makes me sick... Topic

Posted by Jtpsops on 2/5/2013 6:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/5/2013 3:48:00 PM (view original):
That's exactly the same argument that he used in his defense of his "it's equally likely that the earth is only 10,000 years old as it is likely that it is 4.5 billion years old" theory.

Basically, anybody who believed in the older earth theory was a "sheep" who blindly followed the mainstream opinion, who were unable to think critically for themselves.  Only he was open minded enough to look at the evidence for a younger earth (none of which he was able to produce) and accept it as just as likely.
I don't engage evolutionists anymore because it's stupid. I won't sway them, they won't sway me. But don't act like there's more proof of your position than mine. There is as much scientific "proof" for creationism as there is for evolution. Science can be made to say whatever man wants it to say. The fact is, all of history could have taken place in the last 10,000 years. Or it could have happened painstakingly slowly over billions. No one really knows for sure.

All I will say is that to call believing in creationism and a grand design foolish, while believing that the world originated out of nowhere, followed by a giant explosion, and single-celled organisms evolving into a million different species is hypocrisy at its best.
No, we know for sure. The earth is 4.5 billion years old. There is zero evidence of a young earth.
2/5/2013 7:25 PM
Prove it. Show me all the "proof" you have of the Earth's age.

And I will produce "proof" to counter it.
2/5/2013 8:07 PM
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/geotime/age.html
2/5/2013 10:08 PM
Type Number
Dated Method Age (billions
of years)
Chondrites (CM, CV, H, L, LL, E) 13 Sm-Nd 4.21 +/- 0.76
Carbonaceous chondrites 4 Rb-Sr 4.37 +/- 0.34
Chondrites (undisturbed H, LL, E) 38 Rb-Sr 4.50 +/- 0.02
Chondrites (H, L, LL, E) 50 Rb-Sr 4.43 +/- 0.04
H Chondrites (undisturbed) 17 Rb-Sr 4.52 +/- 0.04
H Chondrites 15 Rb-Sr 4.59 +/- 0.06
L Chondrites (relatively undisturbed) 6 Rb-Sr 4.44 +/- 0.12
L Chondrites 5 Rb-Sr 4.38 +/- 0.12
LL Chondrites (undisturbed) 13 Rb-Sr 4.49 +/- 0.02
LL Chondrites 10 Rb-Sr 4.46 +/- 0.06
E Chondrites (undisturbed) 8 Rb-Sr 4.51 +/- 0.04
E Chondrites 8 Rb-Sr 4.44 +/- 0.13
Eucrites (polymict) 23 Rb-Sr 4.53 +/- 0.19
Eucrites 11 Rb-Sr 4.44 +/- 0.30
Eucrites 13 Lu-Hf 4.57 +/- 0.19
Diogenites 5 Rb-Sr 4.45 +/- 0.18
Iron (plus iron from St. Severin) 8 Re-Os 4.57 +/- 0.21
After Dalrymple (1991, p. 291); duplicate studies on identical meteorite types omitted.
2/5/2013 10:10 PM
Did you conduct those studies?  Could you conduct those studies?

No?   So you'll just take their word for it?

You know, some people believed that landing on the moon was faked.   Just sayin'.
2/5/2013 10:16 PM

The flaw in your thinking is that "created" automatically means created from new. If God has the power to create the universe, he has the power to create it at an advanced stage, no?

I'm in an HBD world entering its 11th season. I have a player who's played 14 ML seasons. Therefore, by your logic, the world is actually in its 14th season, since I can "prove" one of the players has been playing for 14 years.

2/5/2013 10:16 PM
"It's like deja vu, all over again" - Yogi Berra
2/5/2013 10:20 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/5/2013 10:16:00 PM (view original):

The flaw in your thinking is that "created" automatically means created from new. If God has the power to create the universe, he has the power to create it at an advanced stage, no?

I'm in an HBD world entering its 11th season. I have a player who's played 14 ML seasons. Therefore, by your logic, the world is actually in its 14th season, since I can "prove" one of the players has been playing for 14 years.

So that's your proof? That maybe god just made the world with really old rocks? Sure, bud.
2/5/2013 10:28 PM
Can you prove he didn't?
2/5/2013 10:30 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/5/2013 10:28:00 PM (view original):

So that's your proof? That maybe god just made the world with really old rocks? Sure, bud.
Let's try this a different way. If you were able to clone a 40 year old man, would the clone be 40 years old, or zero years old?

Technically, it would be zero years old, even though you'd hoot and holler and point out all the "proof" that he was in fact 40. And your observations wouldn't be innacurate - he'd have the facial hair of a 40 year old, the thinning hair of a 40 year old, the gut of a 40 year old, etc, etc, etc.

Except he still wouldn't be 40 years old.

I'm not God - never have been never will be. But what do you think is more plausible: God saying a) "I'll just make this primordial soup here and watch my creation develop over billions of years, or b) "wait, I'm God - I'll just make the earth and all these creatures in their evolved state."

As I said, I'm not trying to convince you to switch viewpoints. It won't happen. But to act like I'm a fool for what I believe, while spouting off that there is indisputable evidence to back your position is laughable.
2/5/2013 10:34 PM (edited)
This thread has gone from:

1)  It sucked to see Ray Lewis hoisting the Lombardi trophy in victory

to

2)  A discussion over was it defensive holding, pass interference, or a good "no call"

to 

3)  Bistiza declaring that supermodels and other hot chicks are a dime a dozen, and he has much higher standards

to

4)  Bad_luck and Jtpsops debating the age of the earth.

I can't wait so see where this thread goes tomorrow.
2/5/2013 10:35 PM
you guys should like it...the thread is "evolving".

Either way, I started the damn thread, so I'll take it where I want to!!!
2/5/2013 10:37 PM
I believe you started this thread tonight, and just filled it with fictitious back-dated posts to make it look 48 hours old.
2/5/2013 10:41 PM
Now you're catching on.

TEC IS BEEN CONVERTED!!! As a reward, I'm going to go down to the street corner and buy you a couple of those skanky, dirty, $20 hookers who look exactly like Bar Rafaeli.
2/5/2013 10:41 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/5/2013 10:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 2/5/2013 10:28:00 PM (view original):

Let's try this a different way. If you were able to clone a 40 year old man, would the clone be 40 years old, or zero years old?

Technically, it would be zero years old, even though you'd hoot and holler and point out all the "proof" that he was in fact 40. And your observations wouldn't be innacurate - he'd have the facial hair of a 40 year old, the thinning hair of a 40 year old, the gut of a 40 year old, etc, etc, etc.

Except he still wouldn't be 40 years old.

I'm not God - never have been never will be. But what do you think is more plausible: God saying a) "I'll just make this primordial soup here and watch my creation develop over billions of years, or b) "wait, I'm God - I'll just make the earth and all these creatures in their evolved state."

As I said, I'm not trying to convince you to switch viewpoints. It won't happen. But to act like I'm a fool for what I believe, while spouting off that there is indisputable evidence to back your position is laughable.
The age of the earth has nothing to do with religion. You are a fool if you believe that it's 10,000 years old.
2/5/2013 10:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.