Makes me sick... Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 2/6/2013 9:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 9:30:00 AM (view original):
Did you conduct these studies?  Can you conduct these studies?

Or are you just taking the word of someone else?

Isn't that kind of like religion?
Yes, I'm taking the word of people who conduct these studies.  Science is a means of attempting to prove the reasons why things happen in the world.  When the scientific community agrees wholeheartedly about something, I will believe them.  I also believe the Earth is round, that the Earth revolves around the sun, and that I need oxygen to breathe.  If the scientific community conducted studies and realized that we aren't breathing oxygen to survive, but a different gas, I would also believe them.  
So, in your opinion, the religious community, despite agreeing wholeheartedly on something, is simply clueless?

I'll try to be crystal clear.   I don't think the world is 10k old.   I'm of the belief that the Bible has been "embellished" to the point of fairy tale.   However, I'm not willing to simply dismiss the opinion of others because "Science" says so.   For all I know, God took rocks from some other universe and re-used them on earth.   He slapped some one cell creatures on that collection of rocks and hit fast forward.  4.5 billions years, less 10,000, were covered in a matter of minutes.   And here we are.

Prove to me that isn't true.
2/6/2013 9:57 AM
"However, I'm not willing to simply dismiss the opinion of others because "Science" says so. "

Would you dismiss the opinion of someone who told you the Earth was flat?  How do you know the Earth isn't flat?  For all I know, God creates an optical illusion for people who go out in space that makes the Earth appear round.  Prove to me that isn't true.
2/6/2013 9:59 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/6/2013 9:59:00 AM (view original):
"However, I'm not willing to simply dismiss the opinion of others because "Science" says so. "

Would you dismiss the opinion of someone who told you the Earth was flat?  How do you know the Earth isn't flat?  For all I know, God creates an optical illusion for people who go out in space that makes the Earth appear round.  Prove to me that isn't true.
Perfect. Mikes just playing devils advocate. He doesn't actually believe the stupid things he's saying.
2/6/2013 10:01 AM
My religion believes that the Loch Ness monster created the universe when I was born, and in fact, my life is part of a "Truman Show" type TV show for other Loch Ness type God-monsters an a galaxy in a different dimension.  Don't you DARE use science to say I'm conclusively wrong.

Again, I think Genesis COULD ALSO BE RIGHT.  Just without the ultra-specific "Earth day." I've never really understood why creationists insist that God was speaking in "Earth days."
2/6/2013 10:07 AM
If I were to guess, BL, you're not actually blocked.

He is blocked. Obviously I can see what you others quote of his, though.
Of course, people like bistiza believes he is the only person in these forums capable of critical thinking, and that anybody else whose decision comes down with the majority is just a brainless sheep incapable of independent thought.  And I think that way of thinking says a lot more about people like him than it does about anybody else.

Too bad this is NOT my way of thinking.

You want to paint me as some kind of tyrant declaring that I am the only one who can think critically when I've never said anything of the sort.

I said many people who believe the "majority" opinion here do so because they blindly follow the masses. That doesn't mean everyone is like that, and I never said it did. You want to twist it like that so you have a launching point for a ridiculous attack when I never said what you claim. Go play your word games and twisting attempts somewhere else, because I'll call you out for that BS.
2/6/2013 10:13 AM
I wonder if the "God" that the creationists believe in also has a long white beard and lives on a cloud?

2/6/2013 10:16 AM
Posted by bistiza on 2/6/2013 10:13:00 AM (view original):
If I were to guess, BL, you're not actually blocked.

He is blocked. Obviously I can see what you others quote of his, though.
Of course, people like bistiza believes he is the only person in these forums capable of critical thinking, and that anybody else whose decision comes down with the majority is just a brainless sheep incapable of independent thought.  And I think that way of thinking says a lot more about people like him than it does about anybody else.

Too bad this is NOT my way of thinking.

You want to paint me as some kind of tyrant declaring that I am the only one who can think critically when I've never said anything of the sort.

I said many people who believe the "majority" opinion here do so because they blindly follow the masses. That doesn't mean everyone is like that, and I never said it did. You want to twist it like that so you have a launching point for a ridiculous attack when I never said what you claim. Go play your word games and twisting attempts somewhere else, because I'll call you out for that BS.
You can do what you want, dipshit,  The content of your posts say one thing, your subsequent explanations of your posts say another.

Virtually every person who you've engaged in "discussion" on these boards have come to the same independent conclusion about you.

But please, continue to live in your narcissistic little "biz" world, and continue to tell us why you're right and everybody else is wrong on virtually every ******* subject that you choose to enlighten us with your self-evidently correct insight and wisdom.
2/6/2013 10:22 AM
Nice.  The "SCIENCE!!!" ******** pick one sentence and ignore the rest.  Here, since you apparently couldn't read it all at once.

"For all I know, God took rocks from some other universe and re-used them on earth.   He slapped some one cell creatures on that collection of rocks and hit fast forward.  4.5 billions years, less 10,000, were covered in a matter of minutes.   And here we are.

Prove to me that isn't true."
2/6/2013 10:24 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/6/2013 9:59:00 AM (view original):

Mike, burnsy addressed your entire post. See the ridiculous second paragraph. That's him calling bullshit on your "maybe god used old rocks" argument.
2/6/2013 10:28 AM
Evolution at its finest right there.
2/6/2013 10:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Nice.  The "SCIENCE!!!" ******** pick one sentence and ignore the rest.  Here, since you apparently couldn't read it all at once.

"For all I know, God took rocks from some other universe and re-used them on earth.   He slapped some one cell creatures on that collection of rocks and hit fast forward.  4.5 billions years, less 10,000, were covered in a matter of minutes.   And here we are.

Prove to me that isn't true."
I'm fully capable of reading, Mike.  Please prove to me that my Loch Ness God Monster Truman Show scenario isn't true.

Not every piece of written history should be taken in it's most literal sense.  It doesn't mean that it isn't true.
2/6/2013 10:30 AM
I can't and am willing to say so.    But I'm not going to dismiss your opinion because it sounds "strange" to me.

Which is exactly what the Science!!! ******** do to any religious belief that doesn't reconcile with their view.
2/6/2013 10:34 AM
Actually, I'm going to change "opinion" to "belief".    I you truly "believe" in the Nessie God, it's called "faith".    Who am I to **** on your "faith"?
2/6/2013 10:37 AM
If my Nessie faith was put in school textbooks, and taught to people to be a similar possibility to the beginning of the world as evolution, would that be ok with you?  I think that's where I jumped in that convo, when that was brought up.  That's the part that really rubs me the wrong way.
2/6/2013 10:46 AM
That's an entire different topic.    One man's faith does not equate to the faith of many.    Nonetheless, I wouldn't want to be responsible for making the "religion in school" call.   That said, I don't mind the powers that be deciding to teach two theories as opposed to one.    Present them as theories, fairly and without opinion(which would never happen), and let the students explore for more detail.   It's called "learning".
2/6/2013 10:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.