Makes me sick... Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 2/6/2013 1:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/6/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes it's better to wait for what comes along.

Is there some reason an 8 y/o NEEDS to be taught evolution?
No.  Not at all.

We can just sit back, scrap the education system in America, and let the Chinese surpass us in all the sciences.

Our kids will have more free time to play video games in the meantime.
I think the Chinese kick our *** in math not evolution.
Maybe we should just stick our heads in the sand and forego all branches of science?
We could do a lot of things.  Arguing on this message board isn't closing the gap between Chinese/American students.

Maybe you should volunteer at a school to help close that gap.
2/6/2013 1:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I'm about the least religious person who actually believes in some sort of higher power.    I was married 6-7 years before my wife realized I wasn't an athiest.   So, when somebody starts pounding the pulpit, I'm less than interested.   But, if that's what gets my good buddy jtpops thru the day, there's no reason for me to dismiss his faith.     I don't know why the "SCIENCE!!!!" ******* feel the need to crap on religious beliefs.

Science is god neutral. Nothing in evolution disproves (or even addresses) god.

You and jtpops can believe whatever you want. Just don't expect to be coddled when you say something stupid in public like, "the world is 10,000 years old."

No one has to respect your stupidity.
2/6/2013 1:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/6/2013 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I'm about the least religious person who actually believes in some sort of higher power.    I was married 6-7 years before my wife realized I wasn't an athiest.   So, when somebody starts pounding the pulpit, I'm less than interested.   But, if that's what gets my good buddy jtpops thru the day, there's no reason for me to dismiss his faith.     I don't know why the "SCIENCE!!!!" ******* feel the need to crap on religious beliefs.

Science is god neutral. Nothing in evolution disproves (or even addresses) god.

You and jtpops can believe whatever you want. Just don't expect to be coddled when you say something stupid in public like, "the world is 10,000 years old."

No one has to respect your stupidity.
2/6/2013 1:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 9:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/6/2013 9:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 9:30:00 AM (view original):
Did you conduct these studies?  Can you conduct these studies?

Or are you just taking the word of someone else?

Isn't that kind of like religion?
Yes, I'm taking the word of people who conduct these studies.  Science is a means of attempting to prove the reasons why things happen in the world.  When the scientific community agrees wholeheartedly about something, I will believe them.  I also believe the Earth is round, that the Earth revolves around the sun, and that I need oxygen to breathe.  If the scientific community conducted studies and realized that we aren't breathing oxygen to survive, but a different gas, I would also believe them.  
So, in your opinion, the religious community, despite agreeing wholeheartedly on something, is simply clueless?

I'll try to be crystal clear.   I don't think the world is 10k old.   I'm of the belief that the Bible has been "embellished" to the point of fairy tale.   However, I'm not willing to simply dismiss the opinion of others because "Science" says so.   For all I know, God took rocks from some other universe and re-used them on earth.   He slapped some one cell creatures on that collection of rocks and hit fast forward.  4.5 billions years, less 10,000, were covered in a matter of minutes.   And here we are.

Prove to me that isn't true.
This.
2/6/2013 1:08 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 8:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 2/6/2013 6:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/5/2013 11:01:00 PM (view original):
Because I don't let the belief of scientists dictate my life?

If scientists could conclusively prove the age of the earth, I'd obviously agree - but they can't. I've examined the evidence, especially the explanations for how the earth came into being, and I believe Creationism is the most logical.

Despite the age debates, scientists cannot even determine how the universe came into existence. A fundamental rule of science is that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So how did the universe just appear out of nothing? Something had to have created it. Do I know that my beliefs are the capital t Truth? No. But it's what makes the most sense to me.

I think Atheism is the most foolish belief system of all, simply because without some kind of higher power or devine being, there is no way to explain the universe, period.
No one has ever said it was created out of nothing.
It doesn't have to be said, moranis. Everything must have a beginning. If there is no devine creator, that means everything in the universe one day just magically appeared out of nowhere.
Now you are just making faulty incorrect assumptions.  The universe (in some form or another) certainly could have always been here.  After all I assume you believe that this divine creator has always been there.  That really isn't any different than just assuming that the universe has always been here (in some form or another).
2/6/2013 1:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:08:00 PM (view original):

Yes, I'm taking the word of people who conduct these studies.  Science is a means of attempting to prove the reasons why things happen in the world.  When the scientific community agrees wholeheartedly about something, I will believe them.  I also believe the Earth is round, that the Earth revolves around the sun, and that I need oxygen to breathe.  If the scientific community conducted studies and realized that we aren't breathing oxygen to survive, but a different gas, I would also believe them.  
So, in your opinion, the religious community, despite agreeing wholeheartedly on something, is simply clueless?

I'll try to be crystal clear.   I don't think the world is 10k old.   I'm of the belief that the Bible has been "embellished" to the point of fairy tale.   However, I'm not willing to simply dismiss the opinion of others because "Science" says so.   For all I know, God took rocks from some other universe and re-used them on earth.   He slapped some one cell creatures on that collection of rocks and hit fast forward.  4.5 billions years, less 10,000, were covered in a matter of minutes.   And here we are.

This.
When you are teaching science, teach science. Evolution is science.

When you are teaching religion, teach religion. Creationism is religion.
2/6/2013 1:12 PM
I'm not teaching anything.   I'm not sure we need to teach 2nd graders evolution.   Math, spelling, grammar and reading might be just fine   They can sign up for Creationism/Evolution classes later.   Or research it themselves.   ****, maybe we just teach the dumb ones how to tend bar.
2/6/2013 1:15 PM

This.
self quoting again, socrates?

Like burnsy said: 

"Would you dismiss the opinion of someone who told you the Earth was flat?  How do you know the Earth isn't flat?  For all I know, God creates an optical illusion for people who go out in space that makes the Earth appear round.  Prove to me that isn't true."

What about gravity? What if god is just farting on us, non-stop, with such force that things are held down on the earth's surface? Prove that I'm wrong? I guess we can't teach gravity in science class because of this ridiculous, impossible to prove, scenario.

2/6/2013 1:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:15:00 PM (view original):
I'm not teaching anything.   I'm not sure we need to teach 2nd graders evolution.   Math, spelling, grammar and reading might be just fine   They can sign up for Creationism/Evolution classes later.   Or research it themselves.   ****, maybe we just teach the dumb ones how to tend bar.
What should we teach high school kids in biology class?

EDIT: please post the science picture because, for once, you'd be right.
2/6/2013 1:16 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/6/2013 1:15:00 PM (view original):

This.
self quoting again, socrates?

Like burnsy said: 

"Would you dismiss the opinion of someone who told you the Earth was flat?  How do you know the Earth isn't flat?  For all I know, God creates an optical illusion for people who go out in space that makes the Earth appear round.  Prove to me that isn't true."

What about gravity? What if god is just farting on us, non-stop, with such force that things are held down on the earth's surface? Prove that I'm wrong? I guess we can't teach gravity in science class because of this ridiculous, impossible to prove, scenario.

2/6/2013 1:18 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/6/2013 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:15:00 PM (view original):
What should we teach high school kids in biology class?

EDIT: please post the science picture because, for once, you'd be right.
2/6/2013 1:18 PM
Wait...science?
2/6/2013 1:21 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/6/2013 1:21:00 PM (view original):
Wait...science?
Yep. Mike says we should teach kids science. Since science doesn't include creationism, he's right. For the first time ever.
2/6/2013 1:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/6/2013 1:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/6/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes it's better to wait for what comes along.

Is there some reason an 8 y/o NEEDS to be taught evolution?
No.  Not at all.

We can just sit back, scrap the education system in America, and let the Chinese surpass us in all the sciences.

Our kids will have more free time to play video games in the meantime.
I think the Chinese kick our *** in math not evolution.
Maybe we should just stick our heads in the sand and forego all branches of science?
We could do a lot of things.  Arguing on this message board isn't closing the gap between Chinese/American students.

Maybe you should volunteer at a school to help close that gap.

Agreed that nothing on this internet message board accomplishes anything of value in the real world.

BTW, this message board (as well as the internet through which you access it via your computer) was a product of science.  Not religion.  Though you might need to have that pointed out to you.

As for volunteering at a school, I do the next best thing . . . I help my 8th grader with his homework almost every night, by reviewing his work when he asks me to, and talking through the subject matter and giving him ideas on how to answer the questions in his homework (again, when he asks me to).

My 5th grader is pretty self sufficient with his homework at that level.

2/6/2013 1:23 PM
OK, I got bored with this faster than I thought.

I've stated my position pretty clearly.   If someone is too dumb to figure out what "I don't think the world is 10k old" means, I can't really help them.

Anyway, I start posting the "SCIENCE!!!!" pic because a few individuals believe saying "Science says...." proves their point.   It doesn't.   Faith-based opinions are just as valid, even if I'm not on board with them, and can't just be dismissed with "Science has proven....."

Have fun arguing with yourselves over a subject that has no right/wrong answer and, of which, you'll change no one's opinion.
2/6/2013 1:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.