Dungy Topic

So he wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam because of the "distractions" but was standing in line to help Mike Vick when he got out of prison.

Because, yeah, Vick wasn't going to be a "distraction".
7/22/2014 8:54 AM
Homophobe. Pure and simple. American "christian" taliban
7/22/2014 9:02 AM
Dungy is a pile of ****.  That's all.
7/22/2014 12:50 PM
That seems a bit strong but he does seem to be saying that he'd take a criminal over a gay dude. 
7/22/2014 1:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/22/2014 1:12:00 PM (view original):
That seems a bit strong but he does seem to be saying that he'd take a criminal over a gay dude. 
Meh...not that strong.  He's garbage as a person.  That's all.

Total hypocrite. 
7/22/2014 3:23 PM
Before we kill Dungy, consider this - Is it possible that he wouldn't want the distraction on his team (which is completely understandable), and wouldn't want to deal with the backlash when cutting him (many 7th round picks do get cut), AND not be a homophobe? And is it possible that while he mentored Vick, and said he thought Tim Tebow could be a very good football player, that it didn't mean he would take either on a team he was coaching?  Or, that he thought these players had talent, and he'd deal with distractions because he thought Vick and Tebow would add value to his football team?

Michael Sam looks like an easily replaceable player.  I understand the idea behind preferring his replacement.
7/22/2014 4:03 PM
I get the reason.   A "distraction" is just a dumb thing to say when throwing support behind Vick, Tebow, Manziel.
7/22/2014 4:32 PM
They're all distractions.  But maybe Dungy doesn't want to deal with a distraction when there's little talent involved.  Or maybe he wouldn't actually take any of those players on his team.
7/22/2014 4:40 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure I can easily find a quote where he said he take Manziel and Tebow(already have).   I imagine he said the same about Vick. 

Again, if you're going to say "distraction", qualify it quickly.    Everyone knows the NFL is a+/- game.   "Is he worth this much?" is always asked.    TO could have been a productive player for another year or two but NO ONE wanted to deal with his nonsense.    Sam is, without question, low on the talent totem pole.  50th man on the roster type.    As I said, I get it.   

But, if you're going to known as a man of great faith, you can't throw the gay dude under the bus unless you want to be perfectly queer, err, clear why.

7/22/2014 4:45 PM
ogay errrrr okay
7/22/2014 5:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/22/2014 4:45:00 PM (view original):

Well, I'm pretty sure I can easily find a quote where he said he take Manziel and Tebow(already have).   I imagine he said the same about Vick. 

Again, if you're going to say "distraction", qualify it quickly.    Everyone knows the NFL is a+/- game.   "Is he worth this much?" is always asked.    TO could have been a productive player for another year or two but NO ONE wanted to deal with his nonsense.    Sam is, without question, low on the talent totem pole.  50th man on the roster type.    As I said, I get it.   

But, if you're going to known as a man of great faith, you can't throw the gay dude under the bus unless you want to be perfectly queer, err, clear why.

He probably shouldn't have said what he said based on his prior comments on gay marriage.  I agree, it comes across worse because of his background.  And if Dungy specifically said he'd take Manziel and Tebow on his team, ok.  But he probably would take them because he thinks they're good at football.  There are questions on whether Sam can play at this level.  So if he's boarderline, and comes with a large media presence that you'd rather not have, I get not wanting to have him.  It doesn't mean he's a homophobe.
7/23/2014 9:35 AM
Well, there are/were a lot of questions as to whether Manziel, Tebow and post-prison Vick could play at this level.     Of course, off-field problems, bible-thumpers and criminals have been in the NFL before.  Not so much with an openly gay dude.   I honestly think there's a difference.  A different kind of "distraction".     And that's why you have to clarify the reason you don't want him. 
7/23/2014 9:49 AM
He obviously thinks those guys can play.  If he thought Sam could play, I have a feeling he wouldn't have said he'd avoid him.
7/23/2014 9:56 AM
I disagree.    Like it or not, one's religious belief can cloud judgement.    It's just harder to be objective.    It doesn't even have to be a religious belief.   For instance, I can somewhat justify Rapelisberger's legal issues.   Drunk chicks in a bar.   Spur of the moment action with alcohol involved.   Meh, right and wrong is a little cloudy.   I can't even begin to fathom wtf Vick was thinking.   Years and years of the same action over and over again when the monetary gain didn't even begin to offset the potential loss.

I have three dogs, no daughters and my only charitable contributions go to the local dog shelter.

Am I objective wrt Rothlisberger's and Vick's transgressions?   I seriously doubt it. 
Is Dungy objective about Sam when he thinks homosexuality is against God's will?    
7/23/2014 10:04 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
1234 Next ▸
Dungy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.