Did you ever ask why Mike McQueary (Graduate Assistant) former Quarterback for was hired full time as administative assistant for the football team in 2003. 

He also was a graduate assistant coach (Coach is a key word that was left out of grand jury report and news articles) from 2000-2002.

He witnesses sexually molesting a boy in the shower, his first instinct is to call his father?

His father tells him to tell Coach Paterno the next day?

Between Mike and his father they come up with talking to Joe Paterno the next day? 

Mike doesn't think on helping the boy when he witnessed the crime?

Mike doesn't call the Police to report a crime in progress? 

Mike decides to call his Dad?

Mike and his Dad do not think to call the police?

Mike talks to Paterno the next day and according to Paterno the graduate student seemed very upset.

Mike doesn't tell Paterno what he actually testified to?

Instead Paterno says the graduate student saw fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to young boy?

Tim curly goes to Joe Paterno's house the next day and Paterno informs him what Mike said.

Tim Curly doesn't call police?

Tim Curly and Gary Schultz meet with Mike McQueary a week and half later and assures Mike they'll look into it.

Gary Schultz doesn't call police?

Tim Curly tells Mike a couple weeks later that they took the keys from the locker room from and reported the incident to the boys organization.

This resolution to what Mike McQueary witnesses satisfies him?

What happens next, Mike McQueary gets hired by the football team.

Joe Paterno and Mike McQueary still see on campus for the next seven years and neither one question this?

Joe Paterno or Mike McQueary don't talk about this incident in private over the next seven years?

Joe Paterno or Mike McQueary don't follow up with or discuss this incident with Tim or Gary over the next seven years?

What was really discussed between Mike and his father the day of the incident?

What was really discussed at Paterno's house the next day between Mike and Joe?

What was really discussed at Paterno's house the following day between Tim Curly and Joe?

What was really discussed at the meeting between Mike, Gary and Tim a week and half later?

Was it Mike McQueary's coaching career at ?

Was it how to protect and it's Football Program?

It surely wasn't about an adolescent boy being raped and the welfare of that boy.

Not one of these men has a conscience or a moral fiber in their body.

Are the Pennsylvania State Police and State Officials protecting Joe's legacy by not following up on these matters above?

11/9/2011 8:18 PM
McQueary was NOT a kid when all this went down in 2002. He was 28 according to Jemele Hill.

McQ was the starting QB in 1997. A  few people in this thread talked like he was 22 and fresh off of graduation.
(taking into consideration his red shirt year, it does add up)

He was FAR removed from any heroworship bullshit and/or confusion about what was the right thing to do....
The more that surfaces the worse this is getting.

MikeT's social assertions aside, this was a man watching a pedophile in action and he did what exactly for the benefit of the child?
11/9/2011 9:49 PM
PATERNO FIRED, THE HOUSE CLEANING BEGINS... IT'S ON ESPN NEWS NOW.
11/9/2011 10:18 PM
what took them so long?
11/9/2011 11:24 PM
They were waiting for 1 of 2 things.   Public opinion and Paterno to walk away on his own. 

As for McQuery, I don't see how he is on the sidelines Saturday.   However, I'd disagree that he wasn't shocked, regardless of how old he was, when he saw a man he respected and admired, sexually abusing a young boy.  Put yourself in his shoes.  Sandusky was a goddam linebacker coach at Linebacker U.  You'd think of him as a tough man who guzzles beer, eats the can and spits out nails.  There's no way anyone doesn't think "WTF am I seeing?  This isn't happening."   That doesn't excuse him for his inaction but split second reaction to something you'd never expect to see isn't a trait found in many people.   That's why athletes train and practice.  So they won't be surprised by anything they see.   Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."   Seeing that was a mental punch in the face.  You can't be ready for that.
11/10/2011 8:15 AM
very classy move by the PSU students to riot. 
11/10/2011 8:27 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say that I believe the only thing that Joe Paterno is guilty of is believing that his superiors (AD Tim Curley and VP Gary Schultz) performed a thorough investigation and not orchestrate a cover-up. Paterno did not witness the rape, and Jerry Sandusky was no longer a member of his coaching staff. He did what he was supposed to do in reporting McQueary's story to Curley; it was NOT Joe Paterno's responsibity to conduct the investigation himself.

PSU has now thrown Paterno under the bus as a scapegoat, when he is the only person who even remotely did what he was supposed to do. Curley and Shultz orchestrated a cover-up. Graham Spanier, as PSU president, has to be held accountable for his subordinates actions then, and also for the way his has mishandled everything that has come down this week. Mike McQueary, in my opinion, has the most culpability because he was an eye-witness to the rape AND WALKED AWAY.

This is a horrible tragedy for the children who were victims of a despicable predator, and there is a ton of blame to go around. That Paterno is being thrown out in front of everybody else to be the fall guy, by both the media and the PSU Board of Trustees, is disgraceful and unwarranted.

Now, having Paterno on the sidelines this weekend and for the remaining games on their schedule this season, would have been a circus. That just couldn't happen. What the PSU Board of Trustees should have done (again, my opinion), is placed Paterno on "administrative leave" for the rest of the season, after which his retirement becomes effective. For everything this man has done for that University, he doesn't deserve to be tossed aside the way he was last night.
11/10/2011 8:55 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/10/2011 8:15:00 AM (view original):
They were waiting for 1 of 2 things.   Public opinion and Paterno to walk away on his own. 

As for McQuery, I don't see how he is on the sidelines Saturday.   However, I'd disagree that he wasn't shocked, regardless of how old he was, when he saw a man he respected and admired, sexually abusing a young boy.  Put yourself in his shoes.  Sandusky was a goddam linebacker coach at Linebacker U.  You'd think of him as a tough man who guzzles beer, eats the can and spits out nails.  There's no way anyone doesn't think "WTF am I seeing?  This isn't happening."   That doesn't excuse him for his inaction but split second reaction to something you'd never expect to see isn't a trait found in many people.   That's why athletes train and practice.  So they won't be surprised by anything they see.   Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."   Seeing that was a mental punch in the face.  You can't be ready for that.
How does that explain his first phone call to his father, his only reporting to Paterno, neither him nor his father not calling the police, etc.  Even if you can give him a pass in the heat of the moment, once the moment was gone, he should have done something.  His father should have done something.

And I don't for a minute believe he told Paterno, Curley, etc. that he witnessed a rape because I don't for a minute believe Penn State would cover up a rape (and even if they did - there is no way Sandusky would ever step foot on that campus again).  I just don't buy it.  
11/10/2011 9:00 AM
This "That doesn't excuse him for his inaction" has been a theme for every time I've said "Very few people would have confronted Sandusky on the spot".   I'm not making excuses for his inaction.   I'm just saying you can't prepare yourself for what he saw.  Being confused isn't an uncommon reaction.  Once he was able to convince himself of what he was really seeing, he should have done something beyond go home and call dad.  If he wasn't comfortable confronting Sandusky, he should have, at the very least, called campus police. 

We have no idea what he told anyone.  And we have no idea what a school like Penn State would do to protect itself from a scandal.   A DA who heard Sandusky confess went missing and is presumed dead.
11/10/2011 9:07 AM
tec, PSU has wanted to move on from Paterno for a few years.  I think Paterno's statement "I will retire at season's end.  There is no need for the board of trustees to spend one minute deciding my fate as they have more important issues to discuss" pushed them into firing him.   Paterno was essentially saying "I'm running this show.   Don't worry with me" so they had to take control of the situation and say "Joe is not in charge".

Paterno f'd himself IMO.
11/10/2011 9:15 AM
Posted by moranis on 11/10/2011 9:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/10/2011 8:15:00 AM (view original):

How does that explain his first phone call to his father, his only reporting to Paterno, neither him nor his father not calling the police, etc.  Even if you can give him a pass in the heat of the moment, once the moment was gone, he should have done something.  His father should have done something.

And I don't for a minute believe he told Paterno, Curley, etc. that he witnessed a rape because I don't for a minute believe Penn State would cover up a rape (and even if they did - there is no way Sandusky would ever step foot on that campus again).  I just don't buy it.  
He was on campus last week - I'm pretty sure everything was out on the table for the principals in this by that point.  And they obviously believed enough happened to merit an (unenforceable) ban on him bringing children on campus and to the facility, but never even got campus police involved (Schultz oversaw the police, but he wasn't police) - despite the fact that this was the 2nd time something had been reported regarding Sandusky in the showers with a young boy.  Leaving Paterno specifically out of this for a second, I don't think PSU has earned any presumption in favor of their willingness to act.
11/10/2011 9:29 AM (edited)
Posted by tecwrg on 11/10/2011 8:55:00 AM (view original):
I'll go out on a limb and say that I believe the only thing that Joe Paterno is guilty of is believing that his superiors (AD Tim Curley and VP Gary Schultz) performed a thorough investigation and not orchestrate a cover-up. Paterno did not witness the rape, and Jerry Sandusky was no longer a member of his coaching staff. He did what he was supposed to do in reporting McQueary's story to Curley; it was NOT Joe Paterno's responsibity to conduct the investigation himself.

PSU has now thrown Paterno under the bus as a scapegoat, when he is the only person who even remotely did what he was supposed to do. Curley and Shultz orchestrated a cover-up. Graham Spanier, as PSU president, has to be held accountable for his subordinates actions then, and also for the way his has mishandled everything that has come down this week. Mike McQueary, in my opinion, has the most culpability because he was an eye-witness to the rape AND WALKED AWAY.

This is a horrible tragedy for the children who were victims of a despicable predator, and there is a ton of blame to go around. That Paterno is being thrown out in front of everybody else to be the fall guy, by both the media and the PSU Board of Trustees, is disgraceful and unwarranted.

Now, having Paterno on the sidelines this weekend and for the remaining games on their schedule this season, would have been a circus. That just couldn't happen. What the PSU Board of Trustees should have done (again, my opinion), is placed Paterno on "administrative leave" for the rest of the season, after which his retirement becomes effective. For everything this man has done for that University, he doesn't deserve to be tossed aside the way he was last night.
I just laughed when I saw an interview with a few students who were at the State College mob and were talking about how many protests they have been to over the last few months.  One student stated that he went to one of the Occupy Wall Street gatherings last weekend and now he is here at the Penn State protest.

Apparently, this student does not realize that Joe Paterno has a net worth well over a million and is a member of that "1%" he despised just a few days ago.
11/10/2011 9:28 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/10/2011 9:15:00 AM (view original):
tec, PSU has wanted to move on from Paterno for a few years.  I think Paterno's statement "I will retire at season's end.  There is no need for the board of trustees to spend one minute deciding my fate as they have more important issues to discuss" pushed them into firing him.   Paterno was essentially saying "I'm running this show.   Don't worry with me" so they had to take control of the situation and say "Joe is not in charge".

Paterno f'd himself IMO.
Administrative leave. 

That gets him off the sidelines (or the press box) for the rest of the season, thus avoiding the circus that would have been.  It also gives the BoT the opportunity to say "No, we're making the decisions" without subjecting Paterno to the indignation of being fired after everything he has done for PSU over the years.

The way this has been grossly mismanaged from the time the first Sandusky incident was reported in 1997 up to the actions taken last night just gets stupider and stupider.
11/10/2011 9:37 AM
Perhaps that's what they would have done if Paterno didn't take matters into his own hands.   Regardless of what he's done over the last 60 years, this matter is bigger.  Allowing the football coach to dictate how things will be handled now might leave people to believe he dictated how things were handled then.   PSU can't do that.   The BoT has to project the image that they are an institute of higher learning and not a football factory being run by coaches who do what they want with impunity. 
11/10/2011 9:45 AM
Yeah, I don't see what other choice Penn State administrators had other than an immediate dismissal.  However, if the courts actually rule in favor of the accused when it finally goes to trial, Penn State will be in a shitstorm that will never end.
11/10/2011 9:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.