Can LSU beat Bama? Topic

Alabama opened as a 9 point favorite, I heard if it was at a nuetral site they would be a 17 point favorite. Does LSU have any chance of winning this game?
10/29/2012 11:55 PM
A slight chance. These kind of games can always go crazy. But, that's what would have to happen. Alabama should win with ease.
10/30/2012 2:07 PM
LSU won at Bama last year, so anything is certainly possible.
10/30/2012 8:09 PM
The only way LSU can win is if Bama's defense ***** the bed, and LSU gets a break or two, like a pick six or a muffed punt, etc. LSU's laughable offense and Bama's killer defense make me think it will be a long night for LSU, although LSU's defense *may* be able to keep them in the game for a while.
10/30/2012 8:21 PM
I think it's less about Bama's D shitting the bed and more about LSU's D giving their putrid offense a short field.
10/30/2012 8:25 PM
They can but they won't
10/30/2012 8:41 PM
Spurrier said Alabama could beat the worst NFL team.    Seems that most disagree and go as far to say Jax would be 24 point favorites vs AL.   

What say ye, college fans of WifS?

Votes: 13
(Last vote received: 11/5/2012 7:49 AM)
11/1/2012 9:53 AM
I'm a Bama fan but find it preposterous that any college team could ever beat any pro team.  Alabama has a good number of guys who will eventually go pro (maybe more than any other college team) but Jacksonville (or any other NFL team) is full of guys who are already there.  The speed difference between a college team and a pro team is still very significant.  There is a big difference between Maurice Jones-Drew (or since he's out, Rashad Jennings) and Eddie Lacy.  There is still a difference between Blaine Gabbert and AJ McCarron.  Or if you want to look at actual on-the-field matchups, there is a huge difference between a freshman wide receiver Amari Cooper and a 10 year DB Rashean Mathis.  They are pros for a reason. 

11/1/2012 2:13 PM
Posted by cydrych on 11/1/2012 2:13:00 PM (view original):
I'm a Bama fan but find it preposterous that any college team could ever beat any pro team.  Alabama has a good number of guys who will eventually go pro (maybe more than any other college team) but Jacksonville (or any other NFL team) is full of guys who are already there.  The speed difference between a college team and a pro team is still very significant.  There is a big difference between Maurice Jones-Drew (or since he's out, Rashad Jennings) and Eddie Lacy.  There is still a difference between Blaine Gabbert and AJ McCarron.  Or if you want to look at actual on-the-field matchups, there is a huge difference between a freshman wide receiver Amari Cooper and a 10 year DB Rashean Mathis.  They are pros for a reason. 

Honestly I believe the real measurable differences are on the lines.  A college team would get manhandled and crushed by the opposing line of any NFL team.  It wouldn't be close.  They would just get steamrolled off the snap (either way).
11/1/2012 3:05 PM
Yeah, the line of scrimmage would be the difference-maker. 

But I do think Saban would prevent a rout.  They'd lose, and lose badly, but I'd take the points. 
11/1/2012 3:37 PM
@Moranis and MikeT:  I agree but I couldn't remember any linemen on Jacksonville and was too lazy to look 'em up.  I did know some of the "fantasy footballers" though so I used them as my examples instead. 

To the original post:  LSU can win, but they aren't going to do it coming from behind.  They need to score early and find opportunistic ways to keep Bama out of rhythm.  If they bring their "A" game, they have a shot.  If they don't, then they better hope Alabama overlooked LSU for the Texas A&M game next week.

11/2/2012 2:09 PM (edited)
That's one thing I've always wanted to see.. I would love for 'Bama to get a chance at Jacksonville. I've always wondered what a great offensive line in College Football could do against ANY NFL defensive front. I've also wondered if someone like MJD of Jacksonville would just run all over a great College Football defense.

No matter how it turned out, it would be an enlightening game on how much of a difference there really is. NCAA & NFL should get together & do this someday. Have the teams wear special uniforms & make a big to-do of it.
11/3/2012 1:03 PM
Any team in the NFL would beat Alabama by 5 or 6 TDs, maybe even worse than that.
11/3/2012 2:00 PM
Alabama looked like ****. Gotta give LSU credit for playing well, but Alabama couldn't even tackle properly. They got burnt over and over on man-to-man coverage. Their offense did what I expected LSU's offense to do (nothing). If they play like that next week, A&M could certainly win.
11/3/2012 11:59 PM
Can LSU beat Bama? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.