Big Ten re-aligning and properly naming divisions Topic

EAST
Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana

WEST
Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska

I guess with Penn State getting hammered the divisions are fairly equal.

Will go into effect in 2016 when the conference goes to a 9 game schedule.  The only protected game is Purdue v. Indiana, who will play every year.  Otherwise there will be no protections and the 3 teams from the other division you play will rotate.

4/19/2013 10:02 PM
looks like the new divisions will now go into effect in 2014
4/20/2013 11:45 AM
Ridiculous...that West is a joke.
4/20/2013 6:34 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/20/2013 6:34:00 PM (view original):
Ridiculous...that West is a joke.
I don't know if I would go that far.  Nebraska and Wisconsin are pretty darn good and a team like Iowa certainly have been very strong in the near past.
4/21/2013 8:02 AM
Nebraska looks like the same situation they were in, with the Big 12 North.
4/21/2013 11:44 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 4/21/2013 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Nebraska looks like the same situation they were in, with the Big 12 North.
yeah, but the BIg Ten splits money evenly between all teams so it might actually work out better for them. 

And again Wisconsin has been the second best team in the Big Ten for the past decade or so (obviously not every year but for the most part).

4/21/2013 6:14 PM
I meant in regards to strength of teams in their division.

I think the amount of money from Big 10 to Big 12 is pretty equal. Big 12 also gives teams their third tier rights.
4/21/2013 10:07 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 4/21/2013 10:07:00 PM (view original):
I meant in regards to strength of teams in their division.

I think the amount of money from Big 10 to Big 12 is pretty equal. Big 12 also gives teams their third tier rights.
The problem was two-fold for Nebraska in the Big 12.  The money from the tv contracts was based on the amount of games played on national tv and what not.  So Nebraska being the only marquee team in its division didn't have the same opportunities for marquee games, so they got way less money.  The other problem, at least according to Nebraska, was the conference did whatever Texas wanted. 

Neither of those things exist in the Big 10.  And the money was no where near the same in the Big 10 and Big 12, and it wasn't close.

4/22/2013 6:14 AM
Big Ten re-aligning and properly naming divisions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.