I've never even been to that site.  It was somewhere on ESPN.  It wasn't McShay though.
1/16/2015 9:06 AM
I think that means your source is Jones himself.  I see where he says he was told that based on feedback from OSU coaches and Ted Ginn, Sr.  
1/16/2015 9:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, after Winston and Mariota, who is the 3rd QB taken this year?
1/16/2015 9:16 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/16/2015 9:14:00 AM (view original):
I think that means your source is Jones himself.  I see where he says he was told that based on feedback from OSU coaches and Ted Ginn, Sr.  
Nope.  It is referenced in a number of articles on ESPN.  Guy at bleacher report (I know not hte best source), and a few other spots think he easily could have been the 3rd QB taken in the last 2nd or 3rd round. 
1/16/2015 9:17 AM
Posted by moranis on 1/16/2015 9:16:00 AM (view original):
Just out of curiosity, after Winston and Mariota, who is the 3rd QB taken this year?
It's Hundley.
1/16/2015 9:19 AM
Although I know people like Grayson from CSU too, someone may reach for him.

I would have been surprised if Jones was drafted higher than these guys.
1/16/2015 9:25 AM (edited)
Posted by moranis on 1/16/2015 9:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 1/16/2015 9:14:00 AM (view original):
Nope.  It is referenced in a number of articles on ESPN.  Guy at bleacher report (I know not hte best source), and a few other spots think he easily could have been the 3rd QB taken in the last 2nd or 3rd round. 
Bleacher Report. Even better.
1/16/2015 9:21 AM
3rd QB taken doesn't necessarily equal to 2nd/3rd round. 

Carden and Petty might be 4-5 after Hundley.    And I think Hogan from Stanford is going to declare(if he hasn't already).   He could be 6th.     There are a lot of 2nd level QB.   And Jones probably falls behind all of them. 
1/16/2015 9:33 AM
You know, now I'm seeing references all over the place that say Kiper said 2nd to 4th, but none of them actually links to where he said it...
1/16/2015 9:45 AM
This ultimately would depend on how he did in the combine. You get guys with 4 years of tape projected to go in a certain round, and then the combine, for whatever reason, swings the projection one way or the other. A guy with 3 GAMES of tape could end up going anywhere from the 2nd-undrafted based on how he performed in tights.
1/16/2015 10:18 AM
It's a weak QB draft as all of them have warts.   I just can't see a NFL team taking a guy who's had some issues with school/coaching staff and who played all of 3 games, looking average(at best) against the best D, using a high pick on him.    That said, they have less to dissect(that killed Tahj Boyd returning his senior season) so that could have worked to his advantage.   As Tebow said, only one has to like him.

Seems to me that only a really good team, already set at QB for a few years but not forever, could afford to take a shot at him in the 3rd/4th.    NE?  Dallas?  Is there anyone else with a QB in his mid-late 30s who could afford to take a chance on a QB, who isn't even back-up caliber right now, at the expense of missing out on a player who can contribute right away?   Can NE/Dallas afford that?
1/16/2015 10:23 AM
There are plenty of teams that might have been interested if they think Jones projects out like Big Ben.  I mean a team like Cincinnati that has Dalton, who is good, but not great might take a flyer on a guy like Jones who could be great in a year or two.  So they ride Dalton until Jones is ready.  Denver could use a Manning replacement.  New England has Garoppalo (or whatever his name is), so they are probably out.  If one of the teams that needs a QB misses out on Jameis or Marcus, I could see them taking a flyer on Jones in the 3rd round.  Heck even the Browns make some sense. 

It is all moot now since he is going back to Ohio State, but I easily could have seen him going in the late 2nd round.  He is 6'5" 250 pounds with a cannon for an arm and is mobile enough to make things happen, but not so mobile as running is his first instinct.  And sure he only has 3 games, but he looked pretty good in those games.  He for the most part read the defense well and made the right throw even if he wasn't always on target.  And how much more film is going to be useful in an offensive system like OSU has.  I mean it isn't like Jones is taking the ball under center and running a pro style offense.  Sure more games gives you more film, but there aren't going to be many similar situations even if he had started all year.  That is the problem Mariota is going to have and why his pro day is going to be so important for him.  He needs to show the scouts he can run a pro style offense (that isn't Chip Kelly's). 

1/16/2015 10:44 AM
If you're a good team, competing for a championship, you'd think you'd be much more likely trying to fill a need than take a project in the 3rd round. 
1/16/2015 10:47 AM
Kiper's chat from yesterday at 2:03 pm.

Tony (Richmond, CA)

Where do you project Cardale Jones being drafted?

Mel Kiper
  (2:03 PM)

His stock is questionable. He has the size and the arm and he's mobile. But he's only played the three games. I think he could go second round, he could go fourth round. He has big time physical ability, but the small sample size.

Kiper has been high on Jones for awhile.  Before the bowl games on December 18th he said this about him.

John (Rutland, MA)

How are the quarterbacks looking for 2016? I saw where you said there is no franchise type for 2015. Thank you.

Mel Kiper
  (2:15 PM)

Cardale Jones is the interesting guy. He is a third-year sophomore this year, so he's draft eligible, but I doubt he'll come out. Jones is the best pro prospect on Ohio State and has the best arm out of anyone in college football. Connor Cook will definitely be one of the top guys. Cody Kessler is another.

1/16/2015 10:51 AM
Projected out to Rothlisberger is a pretty big projection for a guy who was 3rd string on his college team.

As far as taking a flyer, the team better be pretty well stocked if they're taking a chance with a 3rd round pick.   You can take a guy who works in the line rotations or can play special teams, at the very least, or a QB who might never see the field. 

NFL guys live for film.  I can't even understand how watching the same play 20 times helps but they swear by it.   So, yeah, they'd want more film on Jones.   To see how he reacts to situations. 3rd and 8 can have many options.    Rush from the middle, left, right, no rush, zone, man, blitzes, cover 1, cover 2, quarters, etc, etc.   Even the score matters in the situation.  
1/16/2015 10:53 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.