Round 1 Themes Topic

We're still  two weeks away before I post the ad for the 2014 WIS Championship, but I thought I would go ahead and post the themes for Round 1, so people can get a head start on building their teams.  Do not use this thread to sign up.  Wait until I post the ad in the classified (early June).  But do feel free to post your questions

5/15/2014 10:17 AM (edited)
Stars & Scrubs (Expansion Era), $70M 
All players rostered must have salaries either over $6 million (Stars) or under $3 million (Scrubs). You must roster at least 2 hitters with salaries over $6M. Seasons 1961-2013 are eligible. Your ballpark must have been in use during this time period.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1961 - 2013 only
DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
SLL: Not allowed
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Any ballpark from 1961-2013 can be used
300K Exception: N/A
Team Name: Anything
Division Alignment: Random
5/15/2014 9:41 AM
Q/A for 70M Theme:

Q: What is SLL?
A: Sim League Live.  No Live play is allowed in any of these themes.
6/11/2014 11:37 AM (edited)
Clone Pitcher & Teammate (Post Deadball Era), $80M
You must clone one pitcher multiple times. You must roster at least 950 IP/162 from that pitcher (it will most likely be a SP, but you could have a combination of SP and RP, i.e., Smoltz). The rest of your roster (both hitters & pitches) must be teammates of any of the clones that you rostered, so the more clones you use, the more teammates you have available. Seasons 1920-2013 are eligible. For players who have both hitting seasons and pitching seasons, you may only clone their pitching seasons.   See below for 300K exception rule.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1920 - 2013 only
Clones: Only for the pitcher you have chosen.
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined, but you can only use the teammates from the team you selected)
Ballpark: Any ballpark that one of your clones called home (during the season that you are using)
300K Exception: Yes, any player <$300K from the seasons of your cloned pitchers may be used
Team Name: Include your cloned pitcher in the team name
5/15/2014 9:45 AM (edited)
Q/A for 80M Theme:

Q: Can the clone pitcher be < $300,000?
A: Yes, he can have any salary.  Finding a few cheap versions of your clone will increase the number of teammates to choose from
6/11/2014 11:38 AM (edited)
$90: GM Challenge w/Twist, $90M
Pick any single-season team. Most of those players will be used to build your team. You can add X free agents (players from the same season of your selected team). You can also have Y twists (twisting players just from your selected team - you cannot twist a free agent). X + Y is based on your team’s winning percentage (see table). 

<.350: X+Y= 8
.350-.399:   7
.400-.449:   6
.450-.499:   5
.500-.549:   4
.550-.599:   3
.600-.649:   2
.650+          1
The 300K exception will be allowed (see below)

Other Specifics
Seasons: Any
Clones: None
Ballpark: Use the ballpark that your selected team used in the season you chose
300K Exception: Yes, any player <$300K from the same season of your selected team may be used
Team Name: Include the season and team that you selected in your team name
 Division Alignment: Random
5/15/2014 9:49 AM (edited)
Q/A for 90M Theme:

Q: Explain the concept of Twist.
A: Using baseball-reference.com, any player that appeared in at least one game for your selected team, may be "twisted".  That means you can use any season for that player. 

Q: If there are no pitchers under $300K available for the season you want to use is there another under-300K option available?
A: No.

Q: What if the team you chose does not have 25 available players?  Are they disqualified as a potential choice?
A: Not necessarily.  Remember the 300K exception..  If you can find enough players to fill your roster from the 300K pool, then you're ok.  You also can use "X" free agents to fill in your roster as long as your X+Y does not exceed your allotted number.

Q: What should be done about teams with no ballpark in the sim?
A: Use the park closest (in years) to the one your desire.

Q: Can I select a player that played for the team according to Baseball-reference.com, but did not have enough PAs/IP to be in the sim and twist him?
A: Yes
6/24/2014 3:00 PM (edited)
Old & New Franchise, $100M
Pick two franchises to build your team from. One must be one the 16 franchises in existence in 1901. The other franchise must be an expansion franchise. Click HERE for a complete list of the franchises (and their various name changes). You must roster at least $40M of salary from each franchise. You can use players from any seasons 1901-2013.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1901-2013
Ballpark: Use any ballpark either of your franchises called home
Team Name: Include both franchises
5/15/2014 10:16 AM (edited)
Q/A for 100M Theme:

Q: Is it any player who has played for the franchise, or only a specific year from each franchise?
A: All players you take must be from seasons that they played for the given franchise.
5/15/2014 3:12 PM (edited)
Five Consecutive Fives (w/DH), $110M
Pick 5 groups of 5 consecutive seasons.  There must be at least a 5-season gap between groups. That’s 25 different seasons. Draft one player from each of those seasons. You must spend at least $20 million from each of the five-season groups.  Example: 1908-1912, 1920-1924, 1941-1945, 1964-1968, 2009-2013.  The groups 1908-1912 and 1917-1921 would NOT be allowed since there are only 4 seasons between these two groups (1913, 1914, 1915, 1916). The DH will be in use.

Other Specifics
DH: YES
Ballpark: Use any ballpark in use during one of your 25 seasons.
300K Exception: None
5/15/2014 10:08 AM (edited)
Q/A for 110M Theme:

5/15/2014 10:08 AM
Babe Ruth in Coors, $120M
Three simple rules: 
(1) You must play in Coors Field
(2) You must roster one Babe Ruth (any version, including pitcher) and
(3) Every pitcher on your roster must fulfill either of these requirements: HR/9 >= 0.50 or WHIP >= 1.10

I was going to include a minimum IPs rule too, but decided to let each person decide for himself how many innings is appropriate for this theme. Just be warned that if you skimp on innings, the “Fatigue Hell Death Spiral” could result in a 120+ loss season and single-handedly doom your chances to advance to round 2.

Other Specifics
Ballpark: Coors Field
Division Alignment:  Random
5/16/2014 10:39 AM (edited)
Q/A for 120M Theme:

Q: Do my pitchers have to all be HR/9 > 0.50 or all be WHIP >= 1.10?  Or can I have both types on my roster.
A: You can have both types on your roster.

Q: Are we allowed to draft pitchers (if we choose) that meet both requirements, or do they have to meet exactly one of them?
A: You are allowed to draft pitchers that meet both of them.  Good luck to you if that's the route you want to take.

Q: How does rounding work?
A: If the player shows up in the search, then he's eligible.  1995 Randy Johnson allowed 12 HRs in 214.3 IP (0.504).  The per 162 game stats show 13 HRs in 240.0 IP (0.488).  He is eligible since he shows up in the search (when you put HR/9 = 0.5 as the lower boundry).
7/14/2014 2:20 PM (edited)
Submit your questions here...
5/15/2014 10:13 AM
Question for 120 theme:

Are we allowed to draft pitchers (if we choose) that meet both requirements, or do they have to meet exactly one of them?

5/15/2014 2:34 PM
123456 Next ▸
Round 1 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.