Round 1 Themes Topic

THEME 3  is proving to be the toughest for me
7/17/2014 10:53 PM
Question for $100M theme: bbr made this change today, but I'm assuming it doesn't affect us because it happened after you set the themes, and most people have already built their teams by now (and probably didn't use 1901-02 Orioles anyway when they had the rest of the Yankees history to choose from)?

1901-02 Orioles Removed from Yankees History

7/21/2014 4:48 PM
Posted by zlionsfan on 7/21/2014 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Question for $100M theme: bbr made this change today, but I'm assuming it doesn't affect us because it happened after you set the themes, and most people have already built their teams by now (and probably didn't use 1901-02 Orioles anyway when they had the rest of the Yankees history to choose from)?

1901-02 Orioles Removed from Yankees History

Wow, that's surprising news. I wasn't using the Yankees, but I've often used those Orioles teams in Yankee franchise leagues
7/22/2014 2:49 AM
Correct, this will not effect the theme.
7/22/2014 10:43 AM
Posted by schwarze on 7/22/2014 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Correct, this will not effect the theme.
Heh, I was wondering if I should change to using Yankees as my expansion franchise. It is strange it think of them that way.
7/22/2014 7:30 PM
Tuesday - Had 2nd thoughts on my 120m team's pitching and tweaked it
Wednesday - Had 3rd thoughts on my 120 team's pitching and tweaked it
Thursdsay - Am having 4th thoughts on my 120 team's pitching and am totally changing the approach.

7/24/2014 9:23 AM
I wonder how many people with load up on low-whip & high-hr pitchers vs high-whip and low-hr pitchers.  And similarly, do you  load your offense with high HR hitters to take advantage of those high-hr pitchers or vice versa?  Or maybe draft a mixture of both?
7/24/2014 12:21 PM
Theme 5 is brutal.
7/24/2014 1:19 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 7/24/2014 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Tuesday - Had 2nd thoughts on my 120m team's pitching and tweaked it
Wednesday - Had 3rd thoughts on my 120 team's pitching and tweaked it
Thursdsay - Am having 4th thoughts on my 120 team's pitching and am totally changing the approach.

this.
Not sure if my tweaking is making it better or worse.  Obviously the key is to find the right IP number.  I am afraid of the amount I have but I'm also afraid to take more at the cost of quality.
7/24/2014 3:11 PM
I have never had any success at all in Coors Field. So for the 120M team I built it and have never looked back.
The 80M team on the other hand, I have made about 1375 changes, which is only a slight exaggeration. I entered it into the league thinking it would stop my tinkering. I thought wrong. I pulled it out about 10 times in the space of 3 days. I think I am finally happy. Or as happy as I am going to be.
7/24/2014 9:33 PM
Posted by nhsteven on 7/24/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Theme 5 is brutal.
Agreed. This was the first team I started, and I'm still no where close to finishing.Thought I had one at one point, then realized I had three guys from the same season. All key players, and I had to start all over because nobody else in their 5 year period was interchangeable at all. Then, I thought I had one done, and one era was short of the $20m rule... then the one where I had no DH, and my very first one where I didn't think about there being a DH and I drafted hitting pitchers... I'm on about the thirtieth iteration now and I'm still struggling. 

I hate this theme.
7/27/2014 10:35 PM
Posted by just4me on 7/27/2014 10:35:00 PM (view original):
Theme 5 is brutal.
Agreed. This was the first team I started, and I'm still no where close to finishing.Thought I had one at one point, then realized I had three guys from the same season. All key players, and I had to start all over because nobody else in their 5 year period was interchangeable at all. Then, I thought I had one done, and one era was short of the $20m rule... then the one where I had no DH, and my very first one where I didn't think about there being a DH and I drafted hitting pitchers... I'm on about the thirtieth iteration now and I'm still struggling. 

I hate this theme.
I actually liked this theme. One of the easier teams I put together of the group. I am not completely happy with the team and would have tinkered at it a bit more but used it as one of the first teams I entered to make the deadline. The clone pitcher theme will be my biggest downfall.
7/28/2014 12:24 AM
Theme 5 is brutal.

I hate this theme.
I have found Excel worksheets to be very helpful for some of these themes. countif and sumif plus conditional formatting = another sharp eye to prevent mistakes. (As long as I enter stuff correctly - on two occasions, I entered a season wrong and then couldn't figure out why the theme was telling me I'd used a season twice.)
7/28/2014 9:12 AM
Posted by trd3 on 7/24/2014 9:33:00 PM (view original):
I have never had any success at all in Coors Field. So for the 120M team I built it and have never looked back.
The 80M team on the other hand, I have made about 1375 changes, which is only a slight exaggeration. I entered it into the league thinking it would stop my tinkering. I thought wrong. I pulled it out about 10 times in the space of 3 days. I think I am finally happy. Or as happy as I am going to be.
Same here. I have been less successful at high-ish caps (I don't miss the years with $160M leagues) or Coors or both ... I built the $120M and moved on. The $90M team was the one where I was going back and forth between two teams ... it's still probably a coin flip, but the coin is out of my hands now.
7/28/2014 9:15 AM
Posted by zlionsfan on 7/28/2014 9:12:00 AM (view original):
Theme 5 is brutal.

I hate this theme.
I have found Excel worksheets to be very helpful for some of these themes. countif and sumif plus conditional formatting = another sharp eye to prevent mistakes. (As long as I enter stuff correctly - on two occasions, I entered a season wrong and then couldn't figure out why the theme was telling me I'd used a season twice.)
Once I finally grasped the theme, I found a spreadsheet extremely helpful, still had some issues with my own data entry here and there (wrong season, wrong salary), but this theme was brutal for me.
7/28/2014 8:31 PM
◂ Prev 123456
Round 1 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.