New progressive league Topic

I have been wanting to join a progressive league for a long time, but it seems that in order to have a team in a progressive league, one would have to take over someone's already existing team. I haven't seen a new progressive league for a while, so I would like to start one up. I thought I would gauge interest first, so if others would like to start up a new progressive league, we can get one going. Any suggestions as far as the year the league would start would be appreciative as would any advice to run one of these leagues as I have never ran one before. 
7/22/2013 6:54 PM
I would consider joining any progressive/regressive. It can be hard to kerp these from fizzling out though.. especially the more complicated ones.
7/22/2013 7:00 PM
i was actually just talking with onslaught about a new progressive....

actually its not really a progressive but has those same principles

heres the plan...

-10 year league

- everyone puts up $10 for the first 5 and another $10 for the last 5...admin will match that giving us a nice prize pool at the end of the 10 seasons...that also keeps owners from dropping their teams

- 52 mil cap

- initial draft is abbababababa

- heres the twist....you can use any season of your drafted player at any point during the 10 year league - but may only use that season once

- if you pick up a cut player, you may only use the seasons that havent been used yet

- players that have no more seasons left to use are considered retired

i think this could be a very fun league with lots of different strategy involved...what do you guys think?

7/22/2013 7:18 PM
Dh.. just make it a 5 year fight for the prize.. forget years 6-10! Would be a fun and competitve all out every season league.
7/22/2013 7:47 PM
Are you sure admin would match?  They didn't do a $ for $ match in the PPL.  I also think a 5 yr league would be better.
7/22/2013 7:50 PM
yeah five yr league would be better... tho tbh i dont have 50 $$ to put down haha so my input isnt really relevant
7/22/2013 9:20 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 7/22/2013 7:50:00 PM (view original):
Are you sure admin would match?  They didn't do a $ for $ match in the PPL.  I also think a 5 yr league would be better.
well whatever they would match would be added to the pool
7/22/2013 10:34 PM
id be fine with 5 years also....whatever gets the most interest
7/22/2013 10:38 PM
- heres the twist....you can use any season of your drafted player at any point during the 10 year league - but may only use that season once

- if you pick up a cut player, you may only use the seasons that haven't been used yet

It would be easy to manipulate or accidently use same yr. twice.  extra work for the Commish to track.
Need to keep on top of the alpha list and available cut list.  A team roster list with correct year would be mandatory.
Still a good idea.  would need a commish that'd follow the league closely.
There are no regressive leagues running that I know of.  I was in Zizzo's All-Time regressive and it fizzled.  
7/22/2013 11:44 PM
^^^I talked to him about that. He seems ready for the challenge. Also, with this format you probably wouldnt make cuts as often as in other leagues. Since you would be able to manage seasons in such a different way. I cant remember if he is doing a one world or 2 world format? But DH i will help however I can.
7/22/2013 11:59 PM
I say start it up and recycle it every 5 years.
7/23/2013 12:00 AM
any news? I'd love a Prog starting 1998 (after MJ's2nd retirement.)
9/6/2013 10:28 AM
I like my single season classic prog's the most. They are the one's that seem to last, the ATBA is heading for it's 10th season and the ZPL has been around forever. I would start in the 70's or 80's to take advantage of the fat player pools and long careers. A prog where the season pay's funny money, the largest amount going to the 24th place team, then auction off the rookies each season might be interesting. The money should accumulate from season to season so an owner could save a number of seasons to target a key player a few seasons out. I would run the initial draft in the standard manner. Prog drafts only go 3-4 rounds deep after the initial draft, so it maybe managable. I'm pretty tapped out now, but if anyone does an auction draft, I'll make room for it. GL
9/6/2013 1:24 PM (edited)
The funny money could also be a 3rd trading item, along with draft picks and players on your roster. A league accountant would be needed to keep the books straight. Progs develop their own culture and owners assume roles in the league, so a league accountant isn't that far out of an idea.
9/6/2013 3:58 PM
Has anyone considered a progressive contract league? Start in a given year and players are randomly awarded 1-4 year contracts (3 one-year contracts, 3 two-year contracts, 3 three-year contracts and 3 four-year contracts). After the first season, the 72 (24x3) players with expiring contracts are thrown into the following season's draft. The 2, 3 and 4 year contract players could be kept or traded for whatever is left on their contract. Could make for some interesting tactics. Do you trade one year of Paul for 2 years of Wade? This type of format would make for some interesting tactical decisions and accelerate the turn around time for a lousy team.

Just an idea as I do not have the time to actually run something like this.    
9/6/2013 10:45 PM
12 Next ▸
New progressive league Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.