I was going to point out that playoff thing.. sly beat me to it
8/1/2013 8:30 PM
@slymonium: question 1. Yes. The rosters were randomly assigned a number. The list was actually shuffled 4x to keep from being memorized.
Question 2: yes. Random.org was used.
Question 3: yes. Free agents are determined randomly.
question 4: as long as player A is not selected by random.org and you do not cut or trade him he will remain on your roster.
Question 5: masterD would be better suited to answer .
8/1/2013 8:45 PM
Posted by slymonium on 8/1/2013 8:11:00 PM (view original):
So I pick a number and you randomly assign me one of the teams on page 1 correct?
Did you use random.org to generate which team is assigned to which number?
So I could get a team with Kareem, then lose him at the beginning of the next season and be f'd for a while because of randomness?
How long can a player stay on a team?  Say player "A" has 5 seasons in the database.  Do I get to keep him on my roster for more than that and he'll just be randomly generated every year until he's lost to free agency?
How did you determine the team compositions?
There are 12 teams in the playoffs, not 8, meaning 12 lottery positions, not 16.

Thanks.

I have a spread sheet with each of these rosters created. they were originally numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. I then went to www.random.org and generated a list of 1 to 24. then I assigned these new numbers to the rosters, reordering them. Then I did it 3 more times, as I have a seemingly photographic memory (never been tested, but I tend to remember anything I see) and to make sure they were good and shuffled. Yet somehow team 20 ended up being team 20, go figure. You could get a team with Kareem, and you could lose Kareem to Free Agency, but you wouldn't be effed for several seasons as you would be able to draft either Kareem again or some other stud who was lost to free agency. A player can stay on a team indefinately, so long as he isn't cut, traded or randomly selected for free agency. We just finished season 21 in baseball. Ed Morris, a five season player, has played in every season. The team compositions were determined from three sources, primarily. I used www.basketball-reference.com's elorater, www.bleacherreport.com's top 50 point guards, shooting guards etc and the nba hall of fame. when i exhausted those, I used guys who won multiple awards, such as Detlef Schrempf and his multiple sixth man awards. I basically started team one with a point guard, Magic Johnson, and worked my way from there, going pg, sg, sf, pf, c. That seemed as random as anything, as well as keeping rosters balanced, only selecting someone specific if all that team's spots were filled, ie it was team 14's time to take a center, but they had two, then i assigned the next player at a position they needed. It was done snake style, so 1-24, 24-1 etc. as to the playoffs, my bad, I will adjust the lottery numbers tomorrow. My brain is fried today. I've already worked 45 hours and I have 19 more over the next two days. I hope that answers questions.
8/1/2013 9:22 PM
Thanks for the answers. Considering it, but man some of those teams are garbage. The team with Cousy and the team with Iverson are just awful.
8/1/2013 9:28 PM
They might be on a list of great players somewhere but their stats don't translate to being great in the sim. I have never used Cousy or Iverson on any squad.

Don't work so much ;)
8/1/2013 9:31 PM
Is there a limit on how many players are cut each season?
After looking at my team I see 2 or possibly 3 I'd cut right now. 
Is there going to be a draft to begin the initial season?
8/1/2013 10:51 PM
Posted by seapilots on 8/1/2013 10:51:00 PM (view original):
Is there a limit on how many players are cut each season?
After looking at my team I see 2 or possibly 3 I'd cut right now. 
Is there going to be a draft to begin the initial season?
Good question...I have some real AIDS in my lineup.  I need to perform a mercy killing of at least 3 people on my team, but likely 5 of them are going to need a bolt to the back of the cranium to NEVER be seen again.
8/1/2013 11:09 PM
Okay, I'm in.  Portland.  #14.  There is one squad I would really love to land, one I would really hate to land and all the rest I can probably make do with (after cutting half of the squad).
8/1/2013 11:29 PM
Master. I know you pulled this idea from the baseball sim which I am not familiar. Seems like a good idea BUT. Looking up your basketball sim exp. you have a total of 2 exibition seasons ( and by no means am I trying to be rude). Buta lot of thought goes into creating a basketball sim team. A good bit of the guys you have on teams dont even get used in most leagues. IE iverson, kobe, kiki, pistol, B. Griffin, world B Free, Nique, Etc.... There is a usage balance most owners try to use. In this case we have none. Along with the idea you may lose a player who is up for a great season. Again great idea, just not sure if premade teams are going to fly in thie b ball sim. However, if your willing to put in the leg work, most owners are willing to help you make teams that will make more sence.
8/1/2013 11:36 PM
I really dont think the teams are too bad.. especially if we allow say 4 cuts before the draft.. and do a 6 round draft to start.. plus the teamsvwill change quickly
8/1/2013 11:40 PM
Posted by logain on 8/1/2013 11:40:00 PM (view original):
I really dont think the teams are too bad.. especially if we allow say 4 cuts before the draft.. and do a 6 round draft to start.. plus the teamsvwill change quickly
Maybe im not understanding the entire concept. But i would have a draft, then initiate all the randomness. Let the league owners dictate the 288 player pool. Like I siad in my previous post, they have a lot of guys I have never used or seen on succesfl SIM teams. Again great idea, I just think he needs more input from b ball owners.
8/1/2013 11:53 PM
chicago 23
8/2/2013 12:57 AM
Taking this in order:

1. Feel free to cut as many guys as you like. Cut all ten if you so desire. It won't hurt my feelings. Really.
2. There will be a draft before the league starts to fill up rosters.
3. A big part of pre constructed rosters was randomness. That you would have no idea who you are starting with on your team. Just like you have no idea who your two mandatory free agents will be each season. A full draft doesn't seem to fit the "random" idea. Trust me, it would have been far simpler to institute a full draft, but I had fun assembling these rosters.
4. I read a number of forums regarding team construction, and like MLB, there seems to be a lot of the same guys being used on every team in open leagues. Obviously being a progressive, more players have to be used, I did the best I could with the resources at my disposal to create rosters. (See above for reasoning.)
5. For obvious reasons I didn't have time to check the usage pct of every single player's every single season. I did my best to represent star players from 60 plus years of basketball history. If, for example, AI isn't good, feel free to cut him and replace him with someone else.
6. The primary purpose of this league is to have fun with all the randomness. If you like a massively controlled franchise where you know how all the nuts and bolts are going to work each year, this league probably isn't for you. That said, the MLB version is starting season 22. About half of us have been in it from the beginning.
8/2/2013 2:51 AM
cincinnati at #12 (unless sacramento covers the Kings/Royals -- then is Pittsburgh  OK ?)
8/2/2013 3:08 AM
Go ahead with Cinncy. We have both Seattle and Oklahoma City as well. Home city isn't nearly as important as it is in baseball.
8/2/2013 3:28 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...14 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.