Pick a State.$50 mill cap Topic

Pick any state you want and make a team.
You can use the players that fit the following criteria:
1) Player was born in your state.
2) Player played high school, college, or professionally in your state.

Or you can use "The World".
Criteria for The World:
1) Player was born outside the U.S.
2) Player has any type of overseas experience.

* If you choose California, you do not get the franchise option. Only California Born, High school, or College allowed.
* If you choose a state with multiple pro franchises you must only use players from 1 franchise.
     Example: You pick Florida, you must pick between the Heat OR the Magic. But not both.
* If you choose a state that has not had a pro franchise you can pick a pro franchise from a bordering state.
     Example: you use Alabama, you get to pick between Atlanta, Miami, OR Orlando.
* Each state can be used twice.
* The World can be used 4 times.
* Players born in the U.S. territories are available for The World. IE Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico...
* The World is also eligible to use the Vancouver and Toronto franchises.
* No Clones, WW, Rookies.

* To clarify. You can use any season of the players career from your available franchise roster.

For birth places
http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi

For high school
http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/high_schools.cgi

For college
http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi

Use the same site for your pro teams within your state.

I will pick my state at the 10 spot.

$50 million cap
8/16/2013 10:55 PM (edited)
Available Pro Teams for states with no NBA franchise

Mississippi>>>> New Orleans
Kentucky>>>>>> Indiana- Charlotte
S. Carolina>>>> Atlanta- Charlotte
Kansas>>>>>>> Denver- Oklahoma City
Nevada>>>>>>> Phoenix- Utah
Alabama>>>>>> Atlanta- Miami- Orlando
Arkansas>>>>>> Oklahoma City- New Orleans
Missouri>>>>>>> Chicago- Oklahoma City
Conneticut>>>>> New York- Boston

Reminder. You can only use players from 1 franchise. See example in previous post.
8/16/2013 7:51 AM (edited)
Malone9975- New York
Felonius- Texas

8/14/2013 10:14 PM (edited)
tentatively in, depending on the development of the rules.

I would like to note that including professionals heavily favors those states with pro teams.  Florida, for example, gives me both Heat & Magic access.  Texas gives owners Maverick, Spur & Rocket access (all 3 of which are extremely strong in the EOL without anything else).  A state like Alabama is not going to be able to even come close despite having a few excellent players born or play their college ball there.  Restricting California makes sense... but some other states probably need restrictions, too.

8/13/2013 6:17 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/13/2013 6:17:00 PM (view original):
tentatively in, depending on the development of the rules.

I would like to note that including professionals heavily favors those states with pro teams.  Florida, for example, gives me both Heat & Magic access.  Texas gives owners Maverick, Spur & Rocket access (all 3 of which are extremely strong in the EOL without anything else).  A state like Alabama is not going to be able to even come close despite having a few excellent players born or play their college ball there.  Restricting California makes sense... but some other states probably need restrictions, too.

I was actually just getting back on to restrict Texas. As far as states such as Alabama, not sure what to do. Thats one of the reasons I put the world in as well as having each state get used twice. What do you think about restricting Florida, Texas, and New York to 1 player over $9 million?
8/13/2013 6:37 PM
I think the cap itself is a big-time restriction...  Limiting the "total salary" of one player is going to do very little.  Partial season players are better at caps such as this anyway.

quick example: Florida... I use Lebron for my $9-mill guy.  I can still get partial season shaq & dwight at the 4/5 and actually save $/min doing so.

I like what you're trying to do... I just think that the player pool is going to be entirely too large for some states with no good way of restricting it with the current ruleset.

8/13/2013 8:14 PM
Yeah...think of North Carolina.

A CP3, GOAT, Timmy lineup is pretty daunting
8/13/2013 8:30 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/13/2013 8:14:00 PM (view original):
I think the cap itself is a big-time restriction...  Limiting the "total salary" of one player is going to do very little.  Partial season players are better at caps such as this anyway.

quick example: Florida... I use Lebron for my $9-mill guy.  I can still get partial season shaq & dwight at the 4/5 and actually save $/min doing so.

I like what you're trying to do... I just think that the player pool is going to be entirely too large for some states with no good way of restricting it with the current ruleset.

How about this.
If you pick a state with multiple pro teams you must only use players from one franchise.
Example: you pick Florida, you then must choose if you are going to use he Heat OR Magic?
I think that would be reasonable.

Not sure what to do with Cali. 300+ players birth place, 393 high school players, plus 4 NBA franchises that include players like Wilt, Shaq, Howard, Rodman, Magic, Paul, Walton... I could do this all day.

I don't want to eliminate Cali entirely, but they are overwhelming with talent. Not sure what to do here.

As far as the states with no pro franchise? What about using pro teams from states with shared borders.
In the case of Bama you could use Atlanta, Miami, or Orlando.?
8/13/2013 8:43 PM
Posted by malone9975 on 8/13/2013 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Yeah...think of North Carolina.

A CP3, GOAT, Timmy lineup is pretty daunting
Using staes twice should eliviate that. Example.

Illinois- Jordan, Pippen, DWade, Wallace, Novak,
New York- Kareem, Jordan, Ewing, Mullin, Dr.
Louisiana- Shaq, Drexler, CP3, K. Malone, B. Russell.
World- Duncan, Dream, Nash, Manu, Ibaka, Bol
Tons of talent all over.
8/13/2013 9:42 PM (edited)
Texas...

Worm Moses Gilmore ... game, set, match.

(oh and that's just using the SA franchise)

Need a low cost, low usage PG to offset this.  I'll take Jason Kidd.

lot of SGs available, too.
8/13/2013 9:21 PM
Just those examples would give us 10 teams. All with really solid line ups.

Any thoughts on what to do with California.
8/13/2013 9:29 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/13/2013 9:21:00 PM (view original):
Texas...

Worm Moses Gilmore ... game, set, match.

(oh and that's just using the SA franchise)

Need a low cost, low usage PG to offset this.  I'll take Jason Kidd.

lot of SGs available, too.
I updated so you would have to pick one franchise when using states with multiple franchises. So if you were using SA J. .Kidd would not be available.
8/13/2013 9:33 PM
You should consider taking the pro option out for Cali.
8/14/2013 12:07 PM
Posted by badja on 8/14/2013 12:07:00 PM (view original):
You should consider taking the pro option out for Cali.
I was considering that.
8/14/2013 1:56 PM
Fine I will get this started with the Empire State.

New York please
8/14/2013 6:50 PM
12 Next ▸
Pick a State.$50 mill cap Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.