In
Help me understand the offseason though.  At first glance the free agency period seems redundant to the draft.  For example: I keep 10 and cut 2 so I'll have 2 draft picks.  I draft 2 players, either never drafted or cut prior to the draft.  Why would someone cut someone at that time?  You have your 12, what player would be left out there that would warrant cutting someone you saved or just drafted?  I don't necessarily have a concern with it, just trying to understand it.

thanks.
1/10/2014 4:33 PM
My only guess is for people who draft young guys. If I want harden, and he only has 3 good season, I have to cut him after season 3. It kind of makes having the worst record worth very little.
1/10/2014 5:54 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 1/10/2014 4:33:00 PM (view original):
In
Help me understand the offseason though.  At first glance the free agency period seems redundant to the draft.  For example: I keep 10 and cut 2 so I'll have 2 draft picks.  I draft 2 players, either never drafted or cut prior to the draft.  Why would someone cut someone at that time?  You have your 12, what player would be left out there that would warrant cutting someone you saved or just drafted?  I don't necessarily have a concern with it, just trying to understand it.

thanks.
after the draft you may decide to build your team differently than previously thought...using a different season of your player may cause your team payroll to change and you might have to cut someone to fit everyone under the cap

also i believe a long offseason can kill interest in a league...with the way this league is set up, the draft will be starting 3/4 days after the season ends...no waiting around...if you dont get your keeper list in you dont get a draft pick...you have to wait until free agency starts to make moves...so the late owners will need this time to fix their rosters

1/10/2014 6:09 PM
This will probably kill the PPL, but the PPL might be dying anyway. I guess I'm in.
1/11/2014 11:06 AM
it better not kill the ppl....my team is just getting good haha...i think youre in the same boat tarheel

anyway...good to have you...halfway there

1/11/2014 2:20 PM
Posted by dh555 on 1/10/2014 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jcred5 on 1/10/2014 4:33:00 PM (view original):
In

thanks.
after the draft you may decide to build your team differently than previously thought...using a different season of your player may cause your team payroll to change and you might have to cut someone to fit everyone under the cap

also i believe a long offseason can kill interest in a league...with the way this league is set up, the draft will be starting 3/4 days after the season ends...no waiting around...if you dont get your keeper list in you dont get a draft pick...you have to wait until free agency starts to make moves...so the late owners will need this time to fix their rosters

Thanks - switching the players seasons was the piece I missed.   Was assuming you'd have locked into a season for the draft, but that is in interesting wrinkle to switch around seasons after the draft if you don't get a player you like.
1/12/2014 6:25 AM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 1/11/2014 11:06:00 AM (view original):
This will probably kill the PPL, but the PPL might be dying anyway. I guess I'm in.
hang in there tarheel - we only lost one owner in the last off season and I'll do what I can to get certain owners to get their butt in gear for the offseason.
1/12/2014 6:36 AM
I think it would be fun to take the top 15 players.. we could probably come close to deciding on who those are.. and randomly assign 3 to each of the 5 drafts. This would give a little more hope to the lottery teams.
1/12/2014 12:00 PM
Posted by logain on 1/12/2014 12:00:00 PM (view original):
I think it would be fun to take the top 15 players.. we could probably come close to deciding on who those are.. and randomly assign 3 to each of the 5 drafts. This would give a little more hope to the lottery teams.
im liking this idea...but i dont want to take the top 15 players away from the initial draft....i was thinking maybe take 15 players who have only 1 dominant season and assign them to be random lottery picks...guys like tmac or penny
1/12/2014 12:18 PM
Yeah. I was thinking something like that too just now. 15 guys from rds 2-5 of dh52..
1/12/2014 12:39 PM
Could just be 12 guys if we ignore the initial draft
1/12/2014 12:39 PM
Penny
Donyell Marshall
Bill Walton
Brent Barry
Kyrie Irving
Tom Boerwinkle
Tmac
Wesley Person
Andrew Bynum
Larry Sanders
Arvydas Sabonis
Brandon Roy
Gheorge Muresan
Anthony Davis... could be an intersting addition too

Some guys I thought of.
1/12/2014 2:07 PM
Right... there are 4 different guys on that list I was planning on drafting, depending how the first few rounds went for me.
1/12/2014 4:56 PM
I'll play
1/12/2014 10:33 PM
welcome uptown....good to have some fresh meat in this league haha

1/13/2014 12:52 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.