UNO ! Draft Topic

Posted by grayfoxx on 8/13/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Okay, instead of an advantage, how about a big disadvantage for the next person on the clock.
Say the 10:00 slot misses his pick, then the 3:00 pick reverses to the Yankees and takes Ruth, now the 3:30 pick is licking his chops about getting Gehrig(at 3:30), but the 10:00 pick jumps in and uses his WC for Gehrig(at 3:15)...............big disappointment for the 3:30 slot.
By holding back his use of the WC the 10:00 slot now can see what team is now on the clock and he can jump in front of another owner.
I don't think disappointing another owner by picking a guy 15 minutes before his slot rather than 5 hours before constitutes an advantage or disadvantage for anyone.  Why would anyone base the use of their wild card on what team was on the clock? makes no sense...
8/13/2013 4:58 PM
Tough to pass on the pitching, but... OF Paul Waner
8/13/2013 5:01 PM
The advantage is not using a WC, but roster flexibility. Say you're up to pick in the LA Angels round. You need a shortstop and could live with Jim Fregosi if you can't find a better one. It's an advantage to wait a few rounds to see whether you can get Arky Vaughn or Nomar Garciaparra, and if you can then just spend $500K on a pinch runner. Or it's an A's round and you're debating Catfish or Eckersley; it's an advantage to see whether you end up with a bigger need for a starter or reliever. Pilots in Round 20 and you still need a 1B — do you go with Don Mincher to get some value out of the Pilots pick, or just cut bait with a $200K player; that's an easier decision to make if you know whom you can get in Rounds 21-15.

As for disappointment, if that's a concern you should run from UNO right now!
8/13/2013 5:16 PM
A little off the board, we select P Nick Maddox
8/13/2013 5:53 PM
P Jessie Tannehill
8/13/2013 6:02 PM
Posted by joshkvt on 8/13/2013 5:16:00 PM (view original):
The advantage is not using a WC, but roster flexibility. Say you're up to pick in the LA Angels round. You need a shortstop and could live with Jim Fregosi if you can't find a better one. It's an advantage to wait a few rounds to see whether you can get Arky Vaughn or Nomar Garciaparra, and if you can then just spend $500K on a pinch runner. Or it's an A's round and you're debating Catfish or Eckersley; it's an advantage to see whether you end up with a bigger need for a starter or reliever. Pilots in Round 20 and you still need a 1B — do you go with Don Mincher to get some value out of the Pilots pick, or just cut bait with a $200K player; that's an easier decision to make if you know whom you can get in Rounds 21-15.

As for disappointment, if that's a concern you should run from UNO right now!
Honestly, I think this "advantage" is offset by just having picks go off the board.
8/13/2013 6:05 PM
The picks might not go off the board depending on circumstance (i.e. 23rd pick in around reverses to Athletics to take Vida Blue; Eck and Catfish aren't going anywhere except via wild card or in round 25; same is true in any slot when everyone else has drafted from that team). But I was merely answering the question about what the rules are, based on past experience in UNO where owners HAVE tried to game the draft by leaving slots unfilled. And if you're bumping up toward $120M in the late rounds, roster flexibility is inarguably a huge advantage.
8/13/2013 6:11 PM
Good picks.

As the next dude on deck when jbfg8r jumped back in, I'm glad that he got his desired player. He was ahead of me anyway, and this draft is challenging enough without getting smacked hard for being late.

But along with flexibility, information is also an advantage. It's clear that there are a number of scenarios where waiting could turn into a plus. As it happens, as my turn approached, Catfish is one of the players that I was considering, hence my previous question.
He was about Plan F while Adams was Plan C. If jbfg8r had jumped back and taken Ford or Chesbro _ curse you, respectively, dcmatcheck and Taint _ or Adams, I would be less sanguine about all this.

As it happens, I wanted there to be Pirates, but not everywhere. So it's a sort of happy ending. But it's even better if everyone is clear upfront about the rules.

8/13/2013 6:14 PM
I understand not everyone can pick in time on their time slot that was not my reasoning in the WC questioning. SO I apologize for causing such a stir. Even though I believe it IS a advantage to wait I really do like this UNO draft better than any draft I've been in before
8/13/2013 6:32 PM
You get credit for clarifying a potential rules issue, not creating a stir. In a Live version bulantz ran many moons ago that issue came up when an owner left a missed pick vacant but picked in following rounds. We had to halt the draft while the issue was hashed out, and I believe we had to find a replacement owner in Round 20 or so. It is NEVER a bad thing to bring up potential loopholes before they become acted-upon loopholes. The UNO draft is a blast, even if Commissioner Kumbaya-Ubuntu Leduc's multiple reverses and no skip make it a bit less cutthroat :)
8/13/2013 6:40 PM
Agreed, this is terrific - I wish we could start a another new draft, for an extra new league, right now - I want more, this is great!
8/13/2013 6:55 PM
lol...well I added unlimited reverses because I remember some guys never got a chance to play theirs...figured like a Wild Card, everyone should have the flexibility to use it whenever as they see fit.  Skips- those were just downright filthy, lol...(thanks btw SpotSell- although josh is right- this wasn't my idea but an old-time WIS guy bulantz that left WIS a couple years back)  well...after typing & deleting about 4 different players...we'll go with...

Zane Smith- P

8/13/2013 7:00 PM
Barry Bonds OF
8/13/2013 7:04 PM
How would a "skip" card work?
8/13/2013 7:06 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 8/13/2013 7:06:00 PM (view original):
How would a "skip" card work?
do you remember, Josh?  Were you able to skip the guy drafting right after you in any round and he had to go last?
8/13/2013 7:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24...81 Next ▸
UNO ! Draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.