*****FULL***** Topic

Captain's League II

This is a league where you select a player to be your Captain.  Then you can pick any player he ever played with to fill out your roster.  You can "twist" any season of these players though.  For example if you select Dale Murphy, you could use any season of Steve Bedrosian since they both played together for the Braves.  You could use Bedrosian's Cy Young award winning 1987 season with the Phillies if you so chose to.  You can use any stadium of your captain.  You can use any season of your captain as well, be it a 200K scrub or a $15mil behemoth!  Use the link below for the easiest possible search!
http://www.baseball-reference.com/oracle/ will help.

Rules:
*$110 million dollar cap. (200K can be anyone BUT MUST BE SENT TO MINORS BEFORE START OF SEASON UNLESS THEY ARE TEAMMATE).
*AAA 6/2 below average.
*Stadium must be from the season of your player selected to be your captain.
*No DH. No clones. No WW. Trades Yes.
*60 game live minimum. Quick start, Playoff Push on. No transaction deadline.
~PLAYOFFS MUST BE PLAYED LIVE~
*200k players can be anyone to help ease roster creation. They must however not play in any game if they are not linked to your captain.

Good luck gentlemen!

5/9/2012 9:47 PM (edited)

Champions

Joe Bush 
~habsfan1

Joe Bush, captain for Season I champion habsfan1.

6/7/2012 4:19 PM (edited)
Blacklist (blacklisted players can still be used, just not as 'captains')

*Roger Peckinpaugh 92-70 arvidjosef/1st place NL East/Division series runner-up CLI
*Tris Speaker
90-72 tycobb32/2nd place NL East/Wild Card/Division series runner-up CLI
*Leo Durocher 88-74 tycobb32/2nd place AL East CLI
*Kenny Lofton  92-70 gusv/1st place AL East/World Series runner-up CLI
*Rickey Henderson 81-81 joshkvt/3rd place NL West CLI
*Derek Jeter 81-81 indiancoach3/1st place AL Central/Division series runner-up CLI
*Rogers Hornsby
69-93 sloadrock/4th place NL East CLI
*Alan Embree
94-68 dahsdebater/1st place AL West/LCS runner-up CLI
*Tommy Davis
86-76 aisle5/1st place NL West/LCS runner-up CLI
*Gaylord Perry
79-83 wlj3b/2nd place NL Central CLI
*Tim McCarver
71-91 topkat/4th place NL Central CLI
*Mariano Rivera
77-85 bgluzberg/4th place AL West CLI
*Randy Johnson
87-75 5pointtoss/2nd place AL West CLI
*David Justice
73-89 tampapats/3rd place AL Central CLI
*Ricky Ledee
86-76 mvprookie5/3rd place AL West CLI
*Elmer Smith
87-75 Yaz_Benders/3rd place NL East CLI
*Jaime Moyer 84-78 jrig21/3rd place AL East CLI
*Greg Maddux 78-84 A'sFan/4th place AL East CLI
*Jackie Robinson 71-91 AceCards/3rd place NL Central CLI
*Joe Bush
77-85 habsfan1/1st place NL Central/World Series champion CLI
*Jorge Posada
87-75 jchitwood15/2nd place AL Central CLI
*Jesse Orosco
82-80 Domeheads/2nd place NL West CLI
*Fred Lynn
75-87 tampapats/4th place NL West CLI

*Pedro Martinez
57-105 jocked_out32/4th place AL Central CLI

Kenny Lofton, captain for Season I World Series runner-up gusv.
5/11/2012 3:21 PM (edited)
Master List

*Phil Douglas
/arvidjosef
*Deron Johnson
/Jesters
*Roger Clemens/frozen_rope
*Denny McLain/szczubelek
*Roberto Hernandez/The Taint
*Tony Rensa/dahsdebater
*Octavio Dotel/dahsdebater
*Brent Gates/chris_son
*Craig Monroe/ConansDad
*Billy Wagner/4everasoxfan
*Nolan Ryan/dlrawson
*Pete Rose/onubears4656
*Jimmie Foxx/4everasoxfan
*Reggie Jackson/fla_dave
*Julio Franco/11kwyetman28
*Art Nehf/obnyy
*Jack Quinn/gusv
*Rich Gossage/ihatefoxes
*Roberto Kelly/topgun11
*Larry Walker/topkat
*Cy Young/11kwyetman28
*Steve Cartlon/triflex
*Curt Schilling/flash1821
*Duke Snider/flash1821
*Reggie Sanders/The_Hodags
*Yogi Berra/jrig21
*Gavy Cravath/Yaz_Benders
*Mike Morgan/bearcat_fan
*Livan Hernandez/The_Hodags
*Miguel Cairo/Tyler1151
9/14/2012 6:43 PM (edited)
George Burns please.  No Gracie.
5/9/2012 3:34 PM
I'll play-player to be decided
5/9/2012 4:19 PM
I'm gonna keep it old school with Phil Douglas.
5/9/2012 5:31 PM
My captain is Denny McLain

Post-Major League career

In 1974, McLain played a season for the London Majors of the Intercounty Baseball League at Labatt Memorial Park in London, Ontario, Canada. Given his arm problems, McLain only pitched nine innings for the Majors, but he did play in 14 games at either shortstop, first base or catcher and batted .380, including hitting two homers in one game in London.

McLain continued to earn side money playing the organ at clubs, including a club in suburban Detroit with former heavyweight boxing champion Leon Spinks working as a bartender.[48] McLain also earned quite a bit of money hustling golf, easily attracting 'marks' due to his past baseball fame.[4] Additionally, he reportedly once accepted over $160,000 to fly a wanted felon out of the country.[4]

In his post-baseball career, his weight ballooned to 330 pounds (150 kg).[2] He was imprisoned for drug trafficking (cocaine), embezzlement, and racketeering with Anthony Spilotro and later John Gotti Jr.. Attorney Lawrence R. Greene represented McLain before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in Atlanta, where his conviction under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida in Tampa was reversed.[2]

Between his stints in prison and rehabilitation in the mid-1980s to the early 1990s, McLain could be found on various sports shows on talk radio and occasionally on panel-format sports shows on network television in the Detroit area, as well as modeling "Hanes" underwear.[49] He could also be found signing autographs at a metro Detroit 7-Eleven store at the corner of Mound Road and Metro Parkway in Sterling Heights, Michigan, where he was employed on work-release.[2]

McLain's oldest daughter, Kristin, 26, was killed on March 20, 1992 in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.[4] She had been living in Florida and was moving back home to Michigan when she was killed just a few miles from her parents' home.[50] In part to escape his grief, McLain and several partners bought the Peet Packing Company (Farmer Peet's) located in the small town of Chesaning, Michigan in 1994. The company went bankrupt two years later. In 1996, he was convicted on charges of embezzlement, mail fraud, and conspiracy in connection with the theft of $2.5 million from the Peet employees' pension fund.[5] McLain spent six years in prison; to this day he insists he knew nothing about the shady financial deals alleged by the government. McLain claims he paid restitution for this incident.[51]

During the Detroit Tigers 2006 playoff run, McLain was the baseball analyst for Drew and Mike on WRIF radio in Detroit. In 2007, McLain released his autobiography I Told You I Wasn't Perfect, co-authored by longtime Detroit sportscaster and author Eli Zaret. Prior to that, McLain and Zaret hosted a sports television show together in Detroit.

McLain currently resides in Pinckney, Michigan, with his wife, Sharyn. Sharyn had divorced Denny during the latter's most recent incarceration, but remarried him upon his release. McLain writes a monthly editorial column and blogs regularly for * In Play! Magazine, a Detroit sports magazine.

Kevin Costner's character in the motion picture The Upside of Anger was partly based on McLain (and also partly on Kirk Gibson, another Tiger of World Series note).[citation needed]

On April 11, 2008, McLain was arrested without incident after deputies discovered an outstanding warrant against him for failing to appear for a January 16 court hearing.[52]

On September 22, 2011, McLain was arrested in Port Huron, Michigan at the U.S.-Canadian border after officials discovered an outstanding warrant against him from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana. Because of construction detours, McClain had inadvertently taken an exit off of I-94 that sent him directly across the Bluewater Bridge and into Canada. He immediately returned to the U.S. where he was obligated to go through a U.S. Custom and Border Protection inspection booth. The outstanding warrant was discovered and McClain was jailed in Port Huron, MI. In less than a week, the warrant was cleared and McClain was released. CU[53]

5/9/2012 8:02 PM
He also LOVED coca-cola.  Reportedly drank Coke like Forrest loved them Dr. Peppers!
5/9/2012 8:29 PM
5/9/2012 9:48 PM
Roberto Hernandez
5/9/2012 11:38 PM
Last time you tried to get this to run I decided to run with Tony Rensa.  Then it didn't run.  I'll try that again, though...  The hard part is going to be making the decision between Greenberg and Gehrig.
5/10/2012 11:28 AM
Posted by The Taint on 5/9/2012 11:38:00 PM (view original):
Roberto Hernandez
UConn alum!  Not many of them get burn outside of the NBA sim!  Thanks Jeff
5/10/2012 2:34 PM
Brent Gates will be my captain.
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/10/2012 11:28:00 AM (view original):
Last time you tried to get this to run I decided to run with Tony Rensa.  Then it didn't run.  I'll try that again, though...  The hard part is going to be making the decision between Greenberg and Gehrig.
Thanks dahs, good luck.
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
*****FULL***** Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.