2043 Census Prediction: Topic

Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/14/2012 2:06:00 AM (view original):
Can you pick a specific issue and address it.

And then I can respond.
do I have to pick one? there are so many.  racism doesn't exist any more? Please.  Open your eyes and take a look around.  It may not be as prevalent as it once was, but it is still there. I'm jewish, and while technically jewish is not a race, I still experience prejudice once in a while. 

and while racism exists everywhere, at one time it was most prevalent in the south

12/14/2012 12:01 PM
I admit freely that bias does exist in our society, and it is almost impossible to eliminate in a free society.

Labeling a large group of actions all as racism, starting with slavery and lynchings and going down to being uncomfortable when a group of black youths approachs you on a dark street is very unclear.

There is a difference between being uncomfortable around people who look and act different than you and your friends and thinking your race is superior to the others.

I admit freely that Racism at one time was very strong and accepted in the south. I think that has changes A LOT. the casual acceptance of it is gone.

12/14/2012 2:47 PM
racism still exists everywhere, not just the south.  It is less noticable than it used to be, but it is still there.
12/15/2012 1:20 AM
How are you defining racism?

Is there a difference between prejudice and racism?

Can someone call someone a name in a fit of anger, without it having a racial historical meaning?

Is not wanting a black person to buy a house in your neighberhood because you are worried about property values racist?

Is it the same as thinking blacks are inferior to you?
12/17/2012 5:42 PM

rac·ism

/'re??s?z??m/ Show Spelled [rey-siz-uh?m] Show IPA
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

prej·u·dice

/'pr?d????d?s/ Show Spelled [prej-uh-dis] Show IPA noun, verb, prej·u·diced, prej·u·dic·ing.
noun
an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.
damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.
12/18/2012 12:09 AM (edited)
well, I don't see that much difference between the definition or racism and the #3 definition of prejudice
12/18/2012 12:09 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/17/2012 5:42:00 PM (view original):
How are you defining racism?

Is there a difference between prejudice and racism?

Can someone call someone a name in a fit of anger, without it having a racial historical meaning?

Is not wanting a black person to buy a house in your neighberhood because you are worried about property values racist?

Is it the same as thinking blacks are inferior to you?
One can be prejudiced about a lot of things, none of which have to do with race. Racism is a form of prejudice, but not all prejudice is racism.
12/18/2012 1:49 AM
So racism starts with simple acts and goes all the way to racial genocide?

How can any society not be racist if you are setting the bar that low?
12/18/2012 2:48 PM

I'd say all societies are racist to a certain extent.  Unfortunately its humn nature to look down on others.

12/18/2012 10:24 PM
So if every society in the world is racist that it cannot be a problem?

We eight need to redefine racism, as I have always suggested, or ignore it as it is always going to be there!
12/19/2012 2:27 PM
well, redefining the word to get rid of the problem, does not seem like the answer.  While racism will always exist (in my opinion), we can and should do what we can to lessen it.

Just because we haven't been able to cure cancer, doesn't mean we should just give up.   Same applies to racism.
12/19/2012 3:28 PM (edited)
That is exactly why we need to redefine it.

What if there was a disease that everyone had and some versions killed you and some versions gave you a ore throat sometimes.

And we were spending the same effort on both versions.

The KKK explaining White Supremacy is a problem. Michael Richards saying the N word in a bar isnt.

We are not a Racist Society. In reality we accept diversity more than almost any nation on earth.

Racism is an issue, but it is not the cause of the problems it is attached to.
12/19/2012 3:41 PM
so, let me see if I've got this.  There is too much racism so lets redefine racism so there's not as much of it.
12/19/2012 7:40 PM
12/19/2012 7:54 PM
Posted by jclarkbaker on 12/13/2012 10:06:00 AM (view original):
It's all about demographics, right?

And the beauty of your comment is that you are unaware that the Dems have to pay to get votes, in the form of social services, and we have already run out of money.  How do you think thinks will be in 2043?

Republicans pay for their votes too, in a well-established form of welfare
commonly called corporate tax breaks.
12/19/2012 10:39 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
2043 Census Prediction: Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.