Legal Advice Topic

I live in Florida and received a letter in the mail with 3 pretty pictures of my vehicle running a red light. There is no picture of me driving however Florida recently changed a statute stating that the citation belongs to the vehicle owner and not the driver .

What legal options should I take from here? The fine is $160 but I have heard anywhere from 50-75% of that is going to go to some company in AZ that set the cameras up. Out of principal I want to fight this but looking for advice on what legal leg to stand on.

4/27/2013 4:31 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I would use the unable to confront my accuser defense. 
4/27/2013 6:05 PM
were you, in fact, the driver?
4/27/2013 8:28 PM
Don't waste your time. No judge hearing these cases will be humored.
4/27/2013 8:45 PM
4/27/2013 8:50 PM
Posted by seamar_116 on 4/27/2013 8:28:00 PM (view original):
were you, in fact, the driver?
I probably was. That has no impact on the case however as the only one who drives my car is my wife. Florida statue states the "violation" is to the vehicle, and not the driver. So the only way I could get out of it if I wasn't driving was sign a sworn affidavit with all of the info of the actually driver. There are no points, its just $$$.

Not to sound too woe is me, but I haven't had a ticket in 5 years (after a very rough start to my driving career), and truly don't remember this "incident" at all. Judging from the date and time it was when I was coming back from a theme park with my family, and just had it on cruise control. The speed limit in the area (from looking it up) is 55 and the ticket says I was doing 57. My guess again is I had it on cruise control and got caught with a quick yellow.

4/27/2013 9:32 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 4/27/2013 8:50:00 PM (view original):
https://www.violationinfo.com/
Thanks, thats the company whose camera it was. I wish someone would send them a ricin laced letter.
4/27/2013 9:32 PM
Posted by jclarkbaker on 4/27/2013 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Don't waste your time. No judge hearing these cases will be humored.
I wouldn't be too sure about this. I am reading stories of 70% dismissal rates when defendants plead not guilty.  It sounds like there are judges around the state who dislike this method of traffic enforcement and consider it unconstitutional.
4/27/2013 9:35 PM
The wife recently told them that she wasn't the driver....I was, and they dismissed it.  This was in WAshington State.
4/27/2013 9:37 PM
Posted by usfbully on 4/27/2013 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 4/27/2013 8:50:00 PM (view original):
https://www.violationinfo.com/
Thanks, thats the company whose camera it was. I wish someone would send them a ricin laced letter.
IN THE DUBYA/CHENEY AMERIKA THIS COULD PUT YE IN GITMO
4/28/2013 5:23 AM
Legal Advice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.