This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Whenever I used the word "kid" i never meant it as a knock against him, i use kid like someone would use "guy".  I called him out on the illegal player and you know what, I now just feel bad for him.  Yeah he came off as a dolt to myself and a lot of people on here but i'm beginning to think he just can't help it.  Sad stuff man, Sad sad stuff....
3/28/2011 10:40 PM
Posted by thunder1008 on 3/28/2011 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mattedesa on 3/28/2011 4:03:00 PM (view original):
It's certainly your call on what to do. I've just found out that when arguing with a fool, I'm unlikely to accomplish anything except frustrating myself and putting a black eye on my own reputation. Shake the dust off your feet and move on. There are lots of quality progressives looking for owners in the classifieds. Find a good league to participate in. 
Mattedesa has a good point.  One of my colleagues has a saying I like -- "When you get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig, only the pig is happy."  Words to live by.

I remember the guy's post on Bilfert's franchise thread, because it struck me as rather odd.  He was complaining about the tenor of the thread, which seemed to miss the point that Bilfert, jfranco, contrarian and a few other HOF'ers go out of their way to explain things and recommend guidelines for Newbies and they obviously don't have to do it at all.  It's sort of a PSA that takes up hours of their own time and is for the benefit of everyone competing in these leagues.  Cwillis may not be the shiniest penny in the roll, and he's certainly not the most agreeable.  I suspect he'll be gone faster than you can say, "Juventino."   
That saying should be, "When you get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig, only the pig and all the spectators who think the pig is a huge pain in the farmer's *** are happy."
3/28/2011 11:19 PM
If anyone could, could you please lock this thread...I think we all know to steer clear...lets lock it up, LOCK IT UP! haha
3/28/2011 11:23 PM
epolice - granted, we're only hearing one side of the story but I still feel comfortable coming down on your side in most of this.  Seeing your commish's posts in other threads, it's not a huge leap of faith to take what you're saying at face value.

One little thing, though.  IMO, when you first noticed the ineleigible player would have been the time to bring it up, not later.  I know I would have been sorely tempted to wait to spring it on the commish given your situation, but personally I feel that whenever somebody notices something amiss, they should bring it to the commissioner's attention at once.

Now, having said that, the schaudenfreude in me is dying to know what his reaction has been.
3/29/2011 5:11 PM (edited)
Yeah I know what you're saying and I should have brought it up right away but he just erks me so much I wanted to wait.  I am actually proud of myself for telling him about it only after 10 games, I was actually going to wait until the all star "break" , hope he was in first and then spring it on him.  However, the nice side of me got in the way and I told him sooner then later.  He actually took it pretty well and was kinda somber which made me fell sorry for him.  So as it stands he still hasn't imposed the forfeits and his roster is short which he said if mine was ever short he would forfeit my games so i'm assuming he is going to do the same.  I just have a feeling he is commishing so many league just to get a free team outta it.  Looking at the theme league he has another league out there as well, this one for teams under .500.  I'm just going to try and crush every team in his league (being that they are all his friends and are hammering me in the forum) and then hope to never see cwillis again.  
3/29/2011 11:13 PM
I think points have been made and it is time to move on. It doesn't serve anybody's interests to drive people away from this site. We should like to see the community of WIS users grow not shrink. There are a lot of complaints about how hard it is to fill leagues and find replacements in progressives and such and if we continue to pound new people with embarrassing threads such as this one it is counter productive. He's new. He made some mistakes. He may even regret some of the mistakes. Whatever. He buys teams and enters leagues. That is what we want. We need that to happen. I say it is time to move on.
3/30/2011 8:58 AM
Well said.
3/30/2011 11:59 AM
Winnetka...Thats why I said could someone lock the thread 
3/30/2011 12:31 PM
I think cwillis just responded.  Good to hear from you.
4/1/2011 11:39 AM
bob -

What turned a lot of people off to cw was his attitude when he started.  He would post a question in the forum, and a good number of experienced users would give their opinions/advice in a reasoned manner.  You'll find most of the time posters are that way here; there are an awful lot of us who remember what it was like to be new, and try to help.  CW would then pontificate on why those experienced, successful owners were wrong - not about history or anything, but about how the sim worked!  So on the one hand you had a lack of gratitude for people offering their advice, and on the other hand 'attitude' about knowing better than the experienced owners (why ask in the first place, then ...).  After a few of these threads it just turned a lot of people off to him.

My unsolicited advice to you is don't drop out.  This is a fun game with many, many great owners and themes.  By your own admission you're very new to this, so don't judge the sim community as a whole by a single snapshot.
4/1/2011 1:16 PM
Yeah, I don't think anybody believes what bob_c said, pinot.  He's not new.  Who would read about this site in a magazine and come make an ID named for Bob Caruthers?  Seems normal to a lot of us now, but to somebody who hasn't been on this site since Little Bob was dominating?  Unlikely.  Also, a new person wouldn't "come on the forums to learn about the game" (paraphrasing) and then make that post.  I'd say there's about a 0.000000000000001% chance he is who he says he is.  And at least a 40% chance he is cwillis.  Hey cw, nobody thinks you're a saint.  You're an obnoxious, grating subpar owner with no desire to learn.  And I completely disagree with Winnetka's analysis.  If somebody is a constant pain in the *** I'd rather have them leave than stay.
4/1/2011 2:53 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.