Progressive league trades...unfair?? Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 7/13/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):
In my 1991 LIVE prog Randy Johnson and a 2nd-rd. pick were just traded for Hrbek and Canseco.
AND a 2nd round pick?  Ha ha.
7/13/2012 3:09 PM
In 1988 that is not that bad a trade. But even though Canseco has a great 1998-9 it is pretty amazing in 1991. But again, as many have pointed out, it depends on a team's needs - if you want to win the pennant in 1991, RJ doesn't help that much, Canseco hits 44 homers. 
7/13/2012 6:46 PM
Other scenarios where it wouldn't be that bad a trade:

1) If Randy Johnson's career ended after 1992
2) If this league were a regressive instead of a progressive

I kid, I kid!  At the moment I'm wheeling and dealing during a 1919 draft, and I've already pulled off 3 trades where I've given up picks/prospects for players who can help me win in 1919-20.  As long as owners who mortgage their futures to win now stay in the league to rebuild, it's all good.

But that 2nd round pick!  Why?!
7/13/2012 7:28 PM
I think it's instructive that in this entire thread not a single owner appears to have agreed with the proposition that the trades were sufficiently unfair as to warrant a veto.  Some owners have suggested that trading with an immediate family member should be done carefully, and that such trades may warrant a higher level of scrutiny, but (a) that was only 1 of the 4 trades in question and (b) that proposition, while perhaps arguable, is not nearly the same as suggesting the trades were unfair.

I also wonder if the owner who originally complained about the trade understands the meaning of the word "collusion." 
7/16/2012 2:13 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 7/13/2012 7:29:00 PM (view original):
Other scenarios where it wouldn't be that bad a trade:

1) If Randy Johnson's career ended after 1992
2) If this league were a regressive instead of a progressive

I kid, I kid!  At the moment I'm wheeling and dealing during a 1919 draft, and I've already pulled off 3 trades where I've given up picks/prospects for players who can help me win in 1919-20.  As long as owners who mortgage their futures to win now stay in the league to rebuild, it's all good.

But that 2nd round pick!  Why?!
The guy trading away Johnson was a very new owner, no prog experience and almost no SLB experience.  The team still isn't good enough to play .500 this year.  In the other owner's defense, though, he did retroactively throw in a first-round pick and give back the 2nd-rounder.  Still not, in my opinion at least, a good trade for the new guy, but at least livable.  Some guys want to make moves when they start out in a prog to make the team feel more like their own.
7/16/2012 6:23 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 7/16/2012 2:13:00 PM (view original):
I think it's instructive that in this entire thread not a single owner appears to have agreed with the proposition that the trades were sufficiently unfair as to warrant a veto.  Some owners have suggested that trading with an immediate family member should be done carefully, and that such trades may warrant a higher level of scrutiny, but (a) that was only 1 of the 4 trades in question and (b) that proposition, while perhaps arguable, is not nearly the same as suggesting the trades were unfair.

I also wonder if the owner who originally complained about the trade understands the meaning of the word "collusion." 
I do understand it and I think Cardsfan, Just4me and Chargingryno are all the same person. They have almost identical mediocre records, and all make the same kind of posts. It is AFTER I made this accusation that Rino claimed he and Just4me are brothers and that he initially owned the Just4me account.

I think I am dead on. I think they are all three the same person.
7/30/2012 10:18 PM
I think nobody agrees with you and virtually everyone respects all 3 of the owners you're trying to call out far more than they respect you, if they even know who you are.  So you're not going to get a lot of sympathy here for your totally unwarranted attack.  Why don't you go cry in a corner in private and not waste everyone's time reading your crap.
7/30/2012 10:42 PM
"Why don't you go cry in a corner in private and not waste everyone's time reading your crap."

Because asking for opinions and then arguing that said opinions are wrong is among the most entertaining thing going in WIS forums. It's always fun when whining is thinly masked as seeking input.
7/31/2012 6:19 PM
It was actually the guy he called out who started the thread.  But good point.
7/31/2012 11:27 PM
I see no problem with those trades. Prog league players have different standards of worth, both short term and long term.  The only time I have ever questioned Prog trades is where an owner trades away all his picks and prospects in order to vie for the WS one year, and then dumps his team the next.  Looks like CR is in it for the long haul, so he's entitled to do what he sees fit with his team.
8/2/2012 10:44 PM (edited)
"
07/31 22:47 dannyjoe Before reading daveymac's last comment, I had basically come to the same conclusion as him. Any trade I see involving ryno will now get an auto-veto vote from me.
07/31 18:13 daveymac I'll be vetoing all of his trades going forward and hopefully eventually 5 others will join with me. I don't care if he trades Hank Aaron for Mario Mendoza I will veto it.

I guess you've gotta do all you can to keep the best teams from winning right??  :) 
8/1/2012 1:34 AM
also - since Mendoza isn't a rookie till 74, I actually might try trading Aaron straight up for Mendoza at that point of his career :)  
8/1/2012 1:36 AM
Just4Me uses grammar better than Chargingryno.   ;)
8/1/2012 5:55 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/1/2012 5:55:00 AM (view original):
Thats because he types up 3 pages in a word document and performs a spell check on it before posting ;) 
8/1/2012 12:43 PM
Posted by chargingryno on 8/1/2012 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 8/1/2012 5:55:00 AM (view original):
Thats because he types up 3 pages in a word document and performs a spell check on it before posting ;) 
Only when I'm not on my phone... then my autocorrect helps me misspell a dozen words, throws in random punctuation, and words that make no sense contextually. Since I'm now on my phone most of the time, I generally refrain from posting, or just cross my fingers and hope what I'm throwing out is legible.
8/1/2012 1:14 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Progressive league trades...unfair?? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.