Theories on setting pitch counts Topic

Over the years I've regularly struggled with how to set pitch counts and the speed to send in relief -- 1 thru 5. I'm not unsuccessful , but I've got a feeling I'm missing some tricks or better understanding. Thoughts?
6/20/2013 9:06 AM
I usually hit "recommended" and then add about 5-10 pitchers for relief pitchers and 10-15 for starters  -not really a scientific method but it always seems to work well.  Others have it down more to a science (figuring out how many pitchers a pitcher has for the season and so how many to allow per start...etc and those are posted in another thread I believe.  
6/21/2013 8:45 PM
There is a thread that tells you how to calculate a pitchers "real life" pitches/ season and pitches/ game.  However, I usualy look at the pitchers IP/G and multiply by 15 or 16.  That is the max pitch count I'll alllow on any given pitcher.

I then work down from these maximums to get ~7 ip/ game from my starters and split my innings between the starters are the bull pen such that 75% of my ip is in the rotation.

For starters, I set the typical pitch count 10 less than the max setting and for relievers I set typical pitch counts 5 less than the max setting. 

6/21/2013 8:54 PM
chargingryno, you are kidding me? You got Bob Gibson to win 35 games in 1970 by "hit recommended and adding 10-15 pitches for starters"? 

sigh. 
6/22/2013 7:23 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by italyprof on 6/22/2013 7:23:00 PM (view original):
chargingryno, you are kidding me? You got Bob Gibson to win 35 games in 1970 by "hit recommended and adding 10-15 pitches for starters"? 

sigh. 
Actually for that one, it was a little different.  I had 2 starters - GIbson and Palmer - and 3 long a relievers (Grant Jackson, Frank Reberger, and Steve Hargan) - Hargan was one of my few GOOD arms so I had him as my setup A to come in as frequent as possible) and set up my rotation as SP1: GIBSON SP2 PALMER SP3A: Jackson SP3B Reberger -  Gibson and Palmer were set at 90-100 pc's wanting my bullpen to come in around the 7th and 8th innings.  I knew I'd win the majority of Gibsons starts because of my offense (and I was right as he went 35-9) and thought the same would be true of Palmer, but he didn't perform as well as I'd hoped (finished 23-19 but was 15-19 before going on a hot streak).  I knew my chances of winning with my 3a and 3b starters were slim - but also new I had an amazing offense and hoped to pull out a few.  I had them on 100-115pc - wanting them to go as deep as possible to save my bullpen). They went 20-18 combined (much better than I'd anticipated).  At game 140 I pulled my sp3's and went with a 1-2 rotation of Palmer and Gibson and increased their PC's to 100-110 to go deeper into games.   Again, not scientific - but it worked
6/27/2013 9:56 AM
Thanks ryno, this is very helpful for a different team in a different league where I might be able to put a slightly different version of this system to work. 

Very creative. Still wish my team had won game 7 of the LCS so we could have faced yours in that World Series, Gibson or no Gibson. 
6/27/2013 11:04 AM
I use the Starter A/B and Tandem starter A/B very frequently - 

In another league that I just won the WS with - I had a SP1 (Walter Johnson) SP2a (Hippo Vaughn) SP2b (Harry Harper) as my rotation most of the year.  Occasionally I'd move them to a traditional 3 man rotation to help with fatitgue - but I was able to get the most out of my starters.  They went 35-14, 28-12 and 24-16.  Including the playoffs Johnson had 496IP and was 90 (100) after his last start of the year
6/27/2013 11:20 AM
Progs are THE place to use the A/B settings....because you rarely have evenly distributed IP.  Also the Tandem setting is perfect for those guys who both started and relieved and ended up with something like 4.2 IP/G....
6/27/2013 7:46 PM
Ignore recommended PCs. Set it at or below their real life ip/g, using about 15 pitches per inning making adjustments for whip walks and k. Most of my pitchers have pull setting of 1 or 2, I don't want them pulled quickly it messes up my bullpen. If there's a spread between Target and Max pitch count they are more likely to be pulled between innings and that makes it more efficient if you're trying to do a lot of pinch hitting. and if your PCs aren't working then no problem just adjust your rotation as you go.
6/27/2013 11:18 PM
Theories on setting pitch counts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.