Demonstrating the biggest problem with this site.. Topic

So, guess what pops up on my screen today? I was reading a story on Fox Sports about how Bud Selig's worst nightmare may come true ... ARod and the Yankees in the playoffs, and what should appear in the lower righthand corner of my screen? An ad for WIS!

Sounds like some of that budget IS going toward web advertising, SEO, et al.

Or there really is someone up there listening to the Forums...
9/4/2013 4:06 PM

They're owned by Fox.  Advertising only on one market.

9/5/2013 3:39 PM
Right, of course. And they're marketing to a current user, at that. Oh, well.
9/5/2013 3:41 PM
This is a wonderful topic, but there may be a point or two that we are missing. I, for one, havem't spent a penny on this site in a long time. I continue to play from rewards I have won. I certainly agree that bringing in new players brings in revenue, but I would guess that MSN is really only continuing this site as a courtesy to us. I doubt that the profit margin justifies it.
9/6/2013 11:40 AM
Yep... And bringing in new owners will bring in new revenue.  There's probably 40-50 of us who haven't paid a dime in years. 
9/6/2013 1:30 PM
unfortunately, there are other less successful players, like myself. who are still mostly paying but getting BORED

havent found a new league i want to join for ages...

9/8/2013 6:03 AM
I am a newbie.  I have enjoyed the site for years but have only created my first team.  As a novice to site I see some issues that will keep many away or limit their play.
Open leagues would be better if they were classified for players winning championships and those that are winless.  I also feel that open leagues should not have AAA prospects or clones.   It simply takes away interest.  I can't see the value when players are not real.  Prospects can be in theme leagues.  An idea would be to have 10 legit players with minor league budget to use during season.  Have 10-15 million for minor league budget, but the players are real not made-up guys.  I am sure others would find a theme league.  Have a 60s league, a 50s league and many others with only real guys.
9/9/2013 9:36 PM
Posted by thejuice6 on 9/3/2013 1:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thejuice6 on 8/27/2013 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Awhile back, I came up with an idea for another tournament.  Six rounds, thirty-one 24-team leagues in all.  For anyone keeping count, that would be 744 teams purchased over the course of the next 12-14 months.  Multiply 744 times $12.95 (or whatever the discounted cost would be for those buying six-packs) and it comes out to a pretty good amount of change.

I sent the request in two weeks ago today to ask if I could post the tournament and advertise the payout to the champion of the tournament - $310 worth of credit.  This is standard from what has been promised and given out over the last few years when I run these tournaments ($10 of credit per league).  I ask each time just to cover my butt - in case someone wins one of these tournaments and then WIS says, "we didn't promise any winnings this time around."

Like I said, I sent that in two weeks ago.  I haven't heard anything back yet...

Three weeks now...no word yet.

Four weeks now...no word yet.

9/10/2013 12:14 AM
Posted by dlcunc31 on 9/9/2013 9:36:00 PM (view original):
I am a newbie.  I have enjoyed the site for years but have only created my first team.  As a novice to site I see some issues that will keep many away or limit their play.
Open leagues would be better if they were classified for players winning championships and those that are winless.  I also feel that open leagues should not have AAA prospects or clones.   It simply takes away interest.  I can't see the value when players are not real.  Prospects can be in theme leagues.  An idea would be to have 10 legit players with minor league budget to use during season.  Have 10-15 million for minor league budget, but the players are real not made-up guys.  I am sure others would find a theme league.  Have a 60s league, a 50s league and many others with only real guys.
An OL consisting only of owners with no championships may be a great way for a newbie to start, but WIS simply will not create such a league option to choose from.  However, every now and then, someone creates a theme league for owners with no championships.  So keep an eye on the theme classifieds for such a league.  Also, just to let you know, the AAA players that you receive in OLs are, in fact, "real" players in the sim data base.  WIS just gives them made up names (some horrible indeed). You have to identify who your AAA players are, and you'd be surprised at the quality of some of them, the hitters moreso than the pitchers,who are generally crap and are mainly useful for mopup duty to eat innings.
9/10/2013 5:33 PM
Thanks for info.  How do you figure out their real identity?  Thanks again.
9/10/2013 6:18 PM
I used to play about 6 teams at any given time...

I now only play in 2 progs that I've been in for a long time.  

Until the game changes in some significant way, that's the way it's gonna stay.

Someone who gives a crap should just buy it back from Fox... I'm sure there's money to be made.
9/16/2013 3:55 PM
Posted by thejuice6 on 9/10/2013 12:14:00 AM (view original):
Awhile back, I came up with an idea for another tournament.  Six rounds, thirty-one 24-team leagues in all.  For anyone keeping count, that would be 744 teams purchased over the course of the next 12-14 months.  Multiply 744 times $12.95 (or whatever the discounted cost would be for those buying six-packs) and it comes out to a pretty good amount of change.

I sent the request in two weeks ago today to ask if I could post the tournament and advertise the payout to the champion of the tournament - $310 worth of credit.  This is standard from what has been promised and given out over the last few years when I run these tournaments ($10 of credit per league).  I ask each time just to cover my butt - in case someone wins one of these tournaments and then WIS says, "we didn't promise any winnings this time around."

Like I said, I sent that in two weeks ago.  I haven't heard anything back yet...

Over five weeks now...

9/18/2013 9:02 AM
why use weeks to measure something, when u can use months, instead? odds get even better if a blue moon appears.
9/18/2013 1:58 PM
Posted by thejuice6 on 9/18/2013 9:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thejuice6 on 9/10/2013 12:14:00 AM (view original):

Over five weeks now...

Have you sent in a new ticket referencing the old one yet? always seemed to work for me every time they were neglecting one of my tickets... also usually helped if you linked to a forum post discussing how long it's been since they've responded.... makes me yearn for the good old days before Fox when tickets were responded to quickly and personally. 
9/19/2013 7:03 PM
I am a newbie who has played in two open leagues and even though I have credits left from the seasons I originally bought--I doubt I will ever play in any of the Sim baseball leagues on this site again. I thought I would weigh in here as to why. It is not that I could not compete. I made the playoffs in my second open league.The other 7 teams that made the playoffs--their coaches had over 10,000 wins each. I had just over a hundred.
Why I will not play anymore--even though I have credits is---the game SUCKS. It is TOTALLY unrealistic. Dead ball pitchers rule the game. What a joke. IF you could somehow put Addie Joss or someone like him into today's game--he would get lit up. In this game he dominates.
In this game in open leagues--Miguel Dilone is a more valuable player than Willie Mays or Hank Aaron. I have to say nothing more after that sentence.
Sorry, but I am not interested in BS like that.
Having said that about this site--I did stumble upon the Hoops Dynasty and the Gridiron Dynasty games and enjoy them. I KNOW that they are ficticious games with ficticious players and can enjoy them. The Sim baseball pretends to be realistic but in truth is no more realistic than the Dynasty games.

9/19/2013 8:19 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Demonstrating the biggest problem with this site.. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.